Citrus Bowl Coaches Presser

Kirk Ferentz on the State of College Football

R.a413ed5198d1682342d6a59ded527902

Wow, super commentary by Kirk Ferentz on the state of bowl season.

Some of the folks on these boards who like to say, "if you're not in the playoffs, bowls don't count any more for anything," or variations on that theme, I wish all those folks would listen to, AND LEARN FROM, what Ferentz says between 10:45 and 11:55.

One minute and ten seconds to gain a much healthier perspective on bowls and why they remain important.

Some of the folks on these boards who like to say, "if you're not in the playoffs, bowls don't count any more for anything," or variations on that theme, I wish all those folks would listen to, AND LEARN FROM, what Ferentz says between 10:45 and 11:55.

One minute and ten seconds to gain a much healthier perspective on bowls and why they remain important.
Yep. There's a reason this man has had such a long and successful run. He gets it. A lot of truth being dropped in his comments. Sadly, that message is lost on some.

So you think his comments were off base? Just the ramblings of a bitter old man? Sad....just sad.
HaHa...just pointing out contrast of Heup's response to the same question as Kirk's...were he used the word "Predators"...

The Game has changed...some good, some bad. The dichotomy of the 2 responses is certainly summed up in the GIF

If you'd like...I can Private Message you after every one of my posts to help you understand/comprehend the joke...would that help you?

just let me know, Chief!

HaHa...just pointing out contrast of Heup's response to the same question as Kirk's...were he used the word "Predators"...

The Game has changed...some good, some bad. The dichotomy of the 2 responses is certainly summed up in the GIF

If you'd like...I can Private Message you after every one of my posts to help you understand/comprehend the joke...would that help you?

just let me know, Chief!
I thought the GIF was a perfect summary of Ferentz comments - a little bitter, a little mystified, but mostly just sad about something good that has been lost.

He seems to find value in competition and teamwork even if it is not directly related to money or to achieving a championship…I think he is right.

This is all well and good but the TN fans would call for the head of a coach AND HAVE for having a record like he's had at Iowa.

He's a 7, 8, 9, and very occasionally 10 win coach. He's had a couple of good seasons, but he's a mediocre coach of a mediocre program.

Kirk Ferentz can afford to talk like this because Iowa is fine with "bowls do matter" but Tennessee simply isn't.

If Heupel doesn't regularly compete for the SEC championship and get in the playoffs, the clamor for him to be replaced will overwhelm the "all bowls matter" talk really fast.

I think it’s important to realize and remember that the perspective from a coach & player is different from that of a fan. The players and coaches will definitely see the value in the experience and in the extra time on the field, but to the fan who has followed the team for a significant period of time and has seen both the highs and lows and the major bowls and championships, the minor bowls don’t mean much and they express that in their opinions. Both are fair.

The players that opt out, like it or not have that right, and I can understand it from a career perspective. We all experience negative influences, and they are hard to shake, resulting in many poor decisions. That happens to everyone. Protecting players from that is not our job as fans.

This is all well and good but the TN fans would call for the head of a coach AND HAVE for having a record like he's had at Iowa.

He's a 7, 8, 9, and very occasionally 10 win coach. He's had a couple of good seasons, but he's a mediocre coach of a mediocre program.

Kirk Ferentz can afford to talk like this because Iowa is fine with "bowls do matter" but Tennessee simply isn't.

If Heupel doesn't regularly compete for the SEC championship and get in the playoffs, the clamor for him to be replaced will overwhelm the "all bowls matter" talk really fast.
Good luck with that. Georgia is a beast that will be hard to catch and beat the rest of this decade, Bama is still Bama as long as Saban is there and oh yea here come Texas and Oklahoma into the SEC.

I’ve always like Ferentz. He’s done a nice job at Iowa for a long time.
Both a fine coach & #1 gum-chewer. It's said he goes into a game with 3 packs of sugar-free Bubble Yum in his locker.

Attachments

• Kirk Ferentz_Bubble Yum coach.jpeg
    Kirk Ferentz_Bubble Yum coach.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1
I'm seeing a "Time of possession" difference in this interview. Hope that isn't prophetic.

Channel 8 in Knoxville doing the old "bate and switch" on their pre-bowl special broadcast coverage today. They are simplely repeating the broadcast from last night. They have a habit of broadcasting the same tape for two or three days. they are providing second-hand coverage a lot recently.

VN Store

Back