Clock Ran

Isn't there a rule pertaining to either being forced out of bounds versus running out of bounds or going our of bounds in a forward direction versus a backwards direction? I've noticed times when players go out of bounds but the clock keeps running.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Isn't there a rule pertaining to either being forced out of bounds versus running out of bounds or going our of bounds in a forward direction versus a backwards direction? I've noticed times when players go out of bounds but the clock keeps running.

If a defender pushes you backwards and out of bounds, it is determined that you are tackled in bounds with your forward progress stopped, so the clock keeps running. If you run out of bounds, or if you are pushed sideways or forwards out of bounds, the clock stops.

This is all-assuming that less than 2 minutes are in the half/game. If there’s more than 2 minutes left, when you run out of bounds, the clock stops for a few seconds, then runs when the refs blow the whistle, even before the snap.

The clock ran at one time when OU went out of bounds, I couldn’t believe that was missed.

At times there is some home cooking going on with the game clock. When we play KY in Lexington the clock operator “forgets” to stop the clock when it suits them
As others have stated, the clock rules have changed. The clock does not stop when going out of bounds until the last 2 minutes of the half now. It stops long enough for the ball to be spotted, then the white hat starts the clock.

By the way, what do all of you think about the two-minute warning in college football? I’m not a fan. I think stopping the clock to move the chains is enough.

More than 2 minutes left in the half, the clock only stops momentarily to set the ball. Then it runs. Under 2 minutes it remains stopped

If a defender pushes you backwards and out of bounds, it is determined that you are tackled in bounds with your forward progress stopped, so the clock keeps running. If you run out of bounds, or if you are pushed sideways or forwards out of bounds, the clock stops.

This is all-assuming that less than 2 minutes are in the half/game. If there’s more than 2 minutes left, when you run out of bounds, the clock stops for a few seconds, then runs when the refs blow the whistle, even before the snap.
The player ran out of bounds to avoid the tackle.

VN Store

Back