CNNSI 2005 Power Rankings (UhOh)

shodges119

I have to agree with this post from CNNSI. I never like it when we are this high and theres nothing bad said about us. I prefer terms like rebuilding season, too young, and such. That's when we really perform well.

Early Power Rankings for 2005
Rank Team
1 USC Trojans
Duh.
2 LSU Tigers
Nick Saban left behind an absolutely loaded cupboard. It's up to Les Miles not to screw it up and to help foster QB JaMarcus Russell's development.
3 Virginia Tech Hokies
This year's young team showed flashes of dominance by the end of the year. Marcus Vick better have his head on straight because he'll be the key.
4 Ohio State Buckeyes
The makings of a potential title run began taking shape the final two games with the blossoming of Ted Ginn Jr. and several young defenders.
5 Tennessee Volunteers
On paper, the Vols will have all the ingredients. Only problem: They seem to do better when the expectations are lower.
6 Texas Longhorns
Speaking of expectations, Vince Young will be carrying about 20 tons worth. But replacing Derrick Johnson and Cedric Benson will be no small chore.
7 Michigan Wolverines
The offense will be loaded with Chad Henne, Michael Hart and Steve Breaston, but the defense left a lot to be desired down the stretch.
8 Oklahoma Sooners
The Sooners lose a lot, but may look a lot like Texas' team this season -- a mobile QB (Paul Thompson) and a workhorse RB (Adrian Peterson).
9 Iowa Hawkeyes
Kirk Ferentz has produced double-digit victories three straight years, and there's no reason that can't continue with QB Drew Tate only getting better.
10 Florida Gators
The Gators should improve drastically if Chris Leak takes to Urban Meyer's offense and the defense continues to improve like it did late in the year.

I just don't know about the Hokies being up there at #3. Those are pretty high expectations considering that they lose Randell this year. They say Marcus Vick will be back, but he is going to be really rusty because he has been suspended this year and out of the circle. I think that LSU at #2 is a big stretch too.

I still marvel at all the pundits who year after year drink the Kool-Aid (or Gatorade in this case) and put Florida in their top 10.

This is just too accurate of an observation for this guy not to be a Vol.

While it is true, there's always a first. We were picked very high in 97 and we could have backed into a share of the NC if we had beaten Nebraska in the orange bowl. Let me qualify that. If we'd beaten Nebraska and Wash St. had upset Meatchigan in the posey bowl.

Then, after Peyton, we were viewed as rebuilding and win it all.

Who knows how the cookie will crumble? :cross:

I agree 100% with their take. UT does better when they are not expected to. (see Vols 2004)

VN Store

Back