College vs Minor Leagues

knoxville's finest

From a career standpoint, which is better college or straight out of high school to the minors. Anybody know anybody in the minors that could share a story?

I have had a few friends who went to the minors. One went to the pirates (actually it was the younger brother of former Vol FB Cory Anderson) and the other went to the red sox. Both received good sign on bonuses (one got more than $200,000) and thought they were bound for fame and fortune. Obviously these young kids had no idea what saving money is all about, neither of them made it and are now flat broke for the most part. The thing about the minors is if you don't produce your gone, there is no going down and you are being paid for results. Even a small injury in the minors could be a career ender.

College is different, as long as you work hard you won't lose your scholly. It is definately possible to be just as successful after college in the pros than it would be coming up from the minors. Look at Chase Headley, he played for UT and now plays for the Padres. This kid went pretty much from college to a big league team -i think he did play in the minors breifly-.
I would probably prefer the college route because at least you will always have that degree to fall back on as well as alumni support to find a job etc. If you flop out of the minor leagues you have to figure out what to do next, which is usually pay for your college education. You get the point...
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I played against 2 six round picks. Both were early signees to sec schools but went to the minors. Not sure how much they received in salary. One only played 3 years. The other is in his 5th season and has yet to make it past singe A. I figured your skills would increase faster in the minors since you devote more time because you dont have to attend classes.

A teammate of mine was drafted out of high school but he went to go play @ a juco school for 2 years. I think he played 1 year and then he signed a $150,000 signing bonus. He played 2 years in rookie/ minor league ball with a salary around $1,200 a month...ended up getting cut and went back to school and he graduates in May.

I was a 6th round draft pick out of college. I played in the SEC and played in the minor leagues for 3 years before an elbow injury ended it for me. I can say this- the difference between SEC baseball and even class A ball is world's apart. Here's why...

Consider the transition from high school to the SEC. Every player (virtually) was the stud on his high school team. As such, every SEC team is represented by a collection of high school studs.

Now consider the transition from college to the professional ranks. My teammates and I referred to it as the 'Funnel Effect.' By that, we meant that for every level of advancement from Little League on, the talent pool became smaller and smaller, separating the chaff from the wheat.

Those who say SEC baseball is comparable to AA have never been to either. In reality, there's no comparison. The talent might be comparable, but beyond that, it is consistency that makes a collegiate star into a minor league star who just might become an everyday big leaguer.

Our pitching coordinator in pro ball said, "The only difference between you guys in A ball and the Big Leaguers is consistency. Where you'll flash a great pitch, they repeat it on a consistent, routine basis."

a lil off topic, but since its a mixture of minor and college I will ask....anyone in the chatt area planning on going to the vols/ga tech game wed night at lookouts field? (at&t field)

VN Store

Back