Conference tournaments matter?

NetworkVol

Over the past 30 years, 13 NCAA champs won their conference tournament, 18 made the finals, and ALL of them made it to at least the semi finals. I understand the argument for more rest, but too much rest is not good. They need to be playing ball.

Over the past 30 years, 13 NCAA champs won their conference tournament, 18 made the finals, and ALL of them made it to at least the semi finals. I understand the argument for more rest, but too much rest is not good. They need to be playing ball.
I get what you're saying but we won the conference tournament two years ago and got put out in the round of 32. I hope we do well in the SEC tournament but we just gotta get hot for the NCAA tournament. History be damned.

That says that the best teams in each conference in general advanced farther. There’s no correlation if we decide to rest our guys, because no one has ever done it that I know of.

I like our chances to win the SEC Tournament championship this season.

That says that the best teams in each conference in general advanced farther. There’s no correlation if we decide to rest our guys, because no one has ever done it that I know of.
It says that, but the data is presented only for the national champions.
I count 9 conferences from last year that sent 2 or more teams.
Tournament champion advanced furthest in 4 of the 9 (2 of the 4 were ties).

Texas and Kansas State both made it to the round of 8
Alabama, Arkansas, and Tennessee made it to the round of 16.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Best seed advanced furthest in 5 of 9 (again 2 ties), SEC and then Arizona and UCLA were both 2 seeds.

Historically there has been a strong correlation with winning the SEC Tournament and advancing in the NCAA. Again, the rest argument is just stupid. What good is rest past two or three of days for 18-22 year olds. Staying sharp from playing games is more beneficial. These guys are young gym rats. They are going full tilt with practice, workout, and games every day. By winning the SEC Championship they probably miss one day of rest which is Sunday. Is that gonna cost us against UMass Lowell in the first round?

Right. My only point is that that data shows teams that were trying to win the conference tournament. If we hypothetically were to rest our starters, there’s no precedent or data points to compare to.

Historically there has been a strong correlation with winning the SEC Tournament and advancing in the NCAA. Again, the rest argument is just stupid. What good is rest past two or three of days for 18-22 year olds. Staying sharp from playing games is more beneficial. These guys are young gym rats. They are going full tilt with practice, workout, and games every day. By winning the SEC Championship they probably miss one day of rest which is Sunday. Is that gonna cost us against UMass Lowell in the first round?
I agree. I think the more days not playing opponents actually allows the mental game to get too strong.

Does winning the regular season mean we locked up the #1 seed in the SEC tourney regardless of tomorrow night’s outcome?

Correlation is not causation.

VN Store

Back