Cottrell wins 30 million dollars.

Hard to believe that this award will stand. $30 million is just ridiculous.

Hard to believe that this award will stand. $30 million is just ridiculous.

:dunno: :eek: :crap:

Well that how I feel!!!!!!!!!!!!

Listening to Finebaum's show according to jurors it could have been much higher?!?!

Originally posted by LadyinOrange@Jul 22, 2005 9:53 PM
Sounds like I need to find somebody to sue......
:question:
[snapback]117117[/snapback]​

It won't stand.

It will be appealed. Once it gets to federal court and out of the shadow of Bryant Denny the whole thing will be tossed.

It's a farce.

I would like to think a jury in Tennessee wouldn't be quite so homerish.

Rednecks tend to produce these sort of verdicts. That's why the founders had the good sense to create the appeals process.

it'll stand, the ncaa is footing the bill as well as legal fees. kinda funny how the judge goes from tossing the ncaa case due to cottrell being a public figure, then against culpecker he reverses his ruling making him a private figure and being awarded 30mil. honestly i want this all to end, but i believe this just adds fuel to gallions fire. he is obviously making his career off going after the ncaa, and he said he isnt done yet. :question:

Man I want to sue some one now. It would be nice not having to do anything with my life and having 30 mil to blow off. Milo, any suggestions?

Originally posted by GOT TWELVE?@Jul 23, 2005 2:23 AM
kinda funny how the judge goes from tossing the ncaa case due to cottrell being a public figure, then against culpecker he reverses his ruling making him a private figure and being awarded 30mil.
[snapback]117177[/snapback]​

That's the part that makes me think that Culpepper has a case for an appeal. Even if the result stands, I can't imagine the $30 million award is going to stand up. Forget whatever you think about the whole situation . . . a jury awarding $30 million in a defamation lawsuit between individuals is a jury gone wild.

Originally posted by GOT TWELVE?@Jul 23, 2005 1:23 AM
it'll stand, the ncaa is footing the bill as well as legal fees. kinda funny how the judge goes from tossing the ncaa case due to cottrell being a public figure, then against culpecker he reverses his ruling making him a private figure and being awarded 30mil. honestly i want this all to end, but i believe this just adds fuel to gallions fire. he is obviously making his career off going after the ncaa, and he said he isnt done yet. :question:

It will not stand. The NCAA will not pay an award that was based on comments Culpepper made that were not related to the investigation. His comments were personal comments made toward Cottrell.

OTOH, looking at various UT boards and reading the local new, this has become a victory for Bama fans. They are claiming a win over the NCAA (not kidding). I just don't understand how they can be happy that a man who was involved in cheating and almost got AL the death penalty, has won a case and $30mil. I suspect if the shoe were on our foot, we'd want this man hung.

One thing is for sure. Ethics and morality as I learned them as a child in Tennessee are not even in consideration here in Alabama. The culture of these people is foreign to me.

Originally posted by vols2345@Jul 23, 2005 5:44 AM
Man I want to sue some one now.  It would be nice not having to do anything with my life and having 30 mil to blow off.  Milo, any suggestions?
[snapback]117197[/snapback]​

Go to McDonald's, order coffee and spill it on yourself. There's a guaranteed 10 million for mental anguish.

Originally posted by milohimself@Jul 23, 2005 1:31 PM
Go to McDonald's, order coffee and spill it on yourself. There's a guaranteed 10 million for mental anguish.
[snapback]117243[/snapback]​

everyone should be awarded for mental anguish just for visiting such a cesspool of degenerates.

Originally posted by GOT TWELVE?@Jul 23, 2005 2:23 AM

You want to put some money on that statement. The award will either be voided and returned to a lower court or it will be overturned and tossed.

Cottrell was and is a public figure the judge screwed the pooch and made a legal faux pas

Gallion was done 2 years ago and Bammmers who think he's proving something are nothing but inbreds who need a lesson in upright walking!
Gallion is a fool and an idiot AND so are his followers!

Only in Alabama would this happen.

I have some good friends in Alabama, very well educated, very upper-class folks wh are also eat, live, and breathe Tide football.

Guess what? They're so embarrasse about all of this. Every time we talk about it he says, "I can't imagine what the rest of the country must think about our state and our university?"

Unfortunately, I just don't have a lot to say that can comfort him. What do you say to alleviate the obvious.

Originally posted by GOT TWELVE?@Jul 23, 2005 2:02 PM
everyone should be awarded for mental anguish just for visiting such a cesspool of degenerates.
[snapback]117254[/snapback]​

You must be talking about Bama.

Originally posted by Vol67@Jul 23, 2005 5:13 PM
You want to put some money on that statement. The award will either be voided and returned to a lower court or it will be overturned and tossed.

Cottrell was and is a public figure the judge screwed the pooch and made a legal faux pas
Gallion was done 2 years ago and Bammmers who think he's proving something are nothing but inbreds who need a lesson in upright walking!
Gallion is a fool and an idiot AND so are his followers!

Only in Alabama would this happen.
[snapback]117283[/snapback]​

so every coach in america is a public figure then?? lets get to the root of this..... if gallion appeals the ncaa case, i find it hard to believe the supreme court wouldnt uphold the private figure status, but you have the exstensive law knowledge, so please enlighten us. also nice to know that this is the FIRST defamation lawsuit the NCAA has ever won, well i say won, they are backing their secret witness culpecker. ncaa and ut really hung him out to dry. nice to have a scapegoat i guess when your hands are dirty as the ncaa and fulmers.

Originally posted by GOT TWELVE?@Jul 23, 2005 3:02 PM
[snapback]117254[/snapback]​

Man, you got that right.

Originally posted by GOT TWELVE?@Jul 24, 2005 3:51 AM
so every coach in america is a public figure then?? lets get to the root of this..... if gallion appeals the ncaa case, i find it hard to believe the supreme court wouldnt uphold the private figure status, but you have the exstensive law knowledge, so please enlighten us. also nice to know that this is the FIRST defamation lawsuit the NCAA has ever won, well i say won, they are backing their secret witness culpecker. ncaa and ut really hung him out to dry. nice to have a scapegoat i guess when your hands are dirty as the ncaa and fulmers.
[snapback]117545[/snapback]​

Yes, every coach in COLLEGE or PRO football is a public figure. Can you understand that or do I need to go slower!
Obviously you lack of education proves you know nothing about the law!

Alabama the cesspool of America!

Fulmer really needs to go to Bama and put 80 on the board. They have the worst fans in the SEC and its true it very well may be time for them to leave the SEC. I'm sure other rogue programs would joint them

Originally posted by Vol67@Jul 24, 2005 2:39 PM
Yes, every coach in COLLEGE or PRO football is a public figure. Can you understand that or do I need to go slower!
Obviously you lack of education proves you know nothing about the law!

Alabama the cesspool of America!

Fulmer really needs to go to Bama and put 80 on the board. They have the worst fans in the SEC and its true it very well may be time for them to leave the SEC. I'm sure other rogue programs would joint them
[snapback]117679[/snapback]​

maybe you should a take spelling class before you start talking about education. maybe you should elaborate on the public figure status, im still not clear on that one.

Originally posted by GOT TWELVE?@Jul 23, 2005 1:23 AM

This whole thing has been a bad joke. What was allowed in the trial was a defamation case on one individual - Tom Culpepper. The jury awards $24 million in punative damages for mental anguish and to send a message against others doing the same thing.

Are you kidding me? Clearly the jury heard enough testimony about the NCAA (eventhough they weren't supposed to) and believed Tommy Gallion's story. The punative damages are clearly aimed at the NCAA which is bogus since they were not on trial.

One juror commented that he was excited about serving on the jury for this monumental case. Clearly, this juror was well aware of the Gallion story and predisposed towards that side. Otherwise, this is just a defamation suit between two individuals.

What also gets me about this whole thing is that Gallion did everything he's accused Fulmer of and more in an effort to bring down the NCAA, Fulmer, UT etc. He made statements early on that these were his goals. What Fulmer is accused of is being overzealous in his attempts to expose the cheating at Bama (Logan Young in particular). He got more involved than a coach typically would have. His testimony was given to the NCAA (secret witness - not the first that the NCAA has used) on the assumption of confidentiality. To sue him (ala Kenny Smith's family) for statements made in private that were only exposed due to a different lawsuit is ludicrous. Fast forward to Tommy Gallion. He has attempted to uncover NCAA violations at UT (a bit overzealous?), he has publicly defamed several UT players (Jason Swayne, John Henderson, etc.) and of course has said some very vicious things about Fulmer. I would imagine the only one who could sue is Jason Swayne since the others are likely "public figures".

So in the world of Tommy Gallion and many Bama fans, the ends justify the means - getting retribution for NCAA sanctions (perhaps overly harsh sanctions) eventhough the evidence is clear that cheating occurred and suggests that this cheating has gone on for some time. However, when Fulmer takes extraordinary steps to shutdown cheating at a rival school - the ends clearly don't justify the means. You can't have it both ways.

Originally posted by GOT TWELVE?@Jul 24, 2005 2:51 AM
[snapback]117545[/snapback]​

Talk about scapegoats, who fired Cottrell and Williams? If any entity should be sued here it is good old Alabama. If Cottrell and Williams were clean, then Bama threw them under the bus - wrongful firing.

Your attitude adds to my point in an earlier post; the jury award was an attempt to punish the NCAA. The problem is that they were not on trial. This was Culpepper vs. Cottrell. Any award that is based on perceived NCAA involvement is unlawful and wrong.

It's laughable to me to hear people defend Gallion's efforts because they want justice and the truth but decided long ago what the truth is.

What is the real damage here? Bama was guilty. The sanctions were harsh but even if lowered to the ones offered by the university, the effect would have been close to the same. Cottrell and Williams were fired by the university. There is some evidence that they were involved (check phone records between Williams and Young, see loan from Young's company to Cottrell, see numerous admonishments received by Cottrell about recruiting violations, see actual violations confirmed by Cottrell). In short, Bama deserved punishment and got it. The old selective prosecution argument is baseless as well - it happens everyday in private and public. Not all offenders can be pursued. Consider it triage - go after the big fish - big offenders. Ask UK fans if they benefitted from so-called selective prosecution - they got hammered every bit as bad as Bama (deservedly so).

VN Store

Back