Cutcliffe at todays practice.

LadyinOrange

Trophy Mod
Staff member
Former Tennessee offensive coordinator and Mississippi head coach David Cutcliffe visited Sunday's soggy practice. Cutcliffe was with the Vols from 1982-98, the final six years as offensive play-caller. He then produced a 44-29 ledger at Ole Miss from 1999-2004 before being fired in December.

"It's good to get him on the practice field," Fulmer said, adding with a laugh that Cutcliffe told him he recognized a lot of the play calls. "That was a little disconcerting, but he's welcome any time."

Cutcliffe underwent heart bypass surgery in March and briefly accepted the position as quarterback coach at Notre Dame under Charlie Weis before resigning in June, citing health concerns. He and his family have relocated to the Knoxville area and Cutcliffe's son, Chris, is working as a Vols student manager

With him relocating back to Knoxville, you get the feeling that Coach Cut will be brought in as a consultant at some point.

Maybe so, but I don't see how he had much of a choice. He had already turned down the Kentucky job. How many opportunities do you get to be a head coach in the SEC?

Originally posted by GAVol@Aug 7, 2005 11:02 PM
With him relocating back to Knoxville, you get the feeling that Coach Cut will be brought in as a consultant at some point.
[snapback]123547[/snapback]​

Maybe Director of Football Operations or is Hollaway still in that position

Originally posted by vol100@Aug 7, 2005 11:19 PM
Maybe Director of Football Operations or is Hollaway still in that position
[snapback]123570[/snapback]​

Yeah - that's Conredge's job.

Fulmer said, adding with a laugh that Cutcliffe told him he recognized a lot of the play calls. "That was a little disconcerting, but he's welcome any time."

After 5 years?? this is not funny att all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i was hoping things would be changed for the florida game????

Calm down. It's no big deal. Why would you expect the terminology of our offense to change?

well mabie 64 point second half down at florida one year.

you have to mix it up from year to year.

Originally posted by statman@Aug 8, 2005 12:11 AM
well mabie 64 point second half down at florida one year.
[snapback]123604[/snapback]​

:dunno: I didn't follow that one. What's that got to do with the names of the plays.

rick spent alot of time calling sending plays last year. mabie hand
sigs for the florida game. they way myer plays if you put them out early
you take away a big part of there game plan. make them have to pass
to catch up. then we can turn the d-line loose kinda pin there ears back
i mean i dont just want to win that game i want to win big time (blow out)!!!

Vols leaked on gators 42-14

Yeah right, the day we blow out the gators is the day a break all of pre's records in Oregon.

Originally posted by statman@Aug 7, 2005 9:34 PM
Quack Quack
[snapback]123618[/snapback]​

He's being pretty serious... Pre still owns the record for 3,000m from 1969 at 8:07.4.

As for the Gators, I also doubt we will blow them away. Whoever wins, it should be a close game as usual.

Originally posted by statman@Aug 7, 2005 11:22 PM
rick spent alot of time calling sending plays last year. mabie hand
sigs for the florida game. they way myer plays if you put them out early
you take away a big part of there game plan. make them have to pass
to catch up. then we can turn the d-line loose kinda pin there ears back
i mean i dont just want to win that game i want to win big time (blow out)!!!

Vols leaked on gators 42-14
[snapback]123611[/snapback]​

WTF? Rick doesnt call plays.

Any signals, sent in via side-line . Usualy by two different QBs.
When Rick or JBC send signals, there is more than one play .

Either a player brings it in, or the signals with audibles is enough to keep Defensive coaches wondering. Maybe?

Nothing would please me more than to see him back on the staff at some point working with the QBs.

That wouldn't be too stressful, would it? :D

I agree Old Vol. I just wonder if Sanders would feel threatened? I think it would go far in establishing TN as QB-U.

Well, Sanders already does a fantastic job of preparing QB's. But I don't see how Rick joining the party could hurt.

And I think if we land Jimmy Clausen, we can then be established as QBU.

VN Store

Back