Da Fans, boss, Da Fans!

For decades, I have been among the Big Orange Caravan, the fans who travel to other places to see our Vols play. We are legion. By and large, we are good natured, spend freely, and as committed to our Vols as our faith (whatever that may be). Chambers of Commerce love us. Even fans of other teams have been won over by our convivial nature. After a nine year absence, we arrived at the 1986 Sugar Bowl in such numbers, that the entire city of New Orleans expressed hope that we’d return, soon. Perhaps, the best example was the Tennessee fan struck by a thrown hotdog at Oregon. He walked up to a group of Ducks fans and asked, “Is this for me?” He cordially introduced himself and told those assembled how impressed he was with the city, the University, the fans’ fervor, and how much he looked forward to the game in their stadium. He won them over and was treated graciously thereafter. This is the Tennessee spirit personified. Overall, Vols fans were counted the best to have visited Oregon, and many expressed their wish for our return. At home and abroad, let ‘em see the best of who we are. Let them all say Tennessee fans are the best college football has to offer.

Last edited:
For decades, I have been among the Big Orange Caravan, the fans who travel to other places to see our Vols play. We are legion. By and large, we are good natured, spend freely, and as committed to our Vols as our faith (whatever that may be). Chambers of Commerce love us. Even fans of other teams have been won over by our convivial nature. After a nine year absence, we arrived at the 1986 Sugar Bowl in such numbers, that the entire city of New Orleans expressed hope that we’d return, soon. Perhaps, the best example was the Tennessee fan struck by a thrown hotdog at Oregon. He walked up to a group of Ducks fans and asked, “Is this for me?” He cordially introduced himself and told those assembled how impressed he was with the city, the University, the fans’ fervor, and how much he looked forward to the game in their stadium. He won them over and was treated graciously thereafter. This is the Tennessee spirit personified. Overall, Vols fans were counted the best to have visited Oregon, and many expressed their wish for our return. At home and abroad, let ‘em see the best of who we are. Let them all say Tennessee fans are the best college football has to offer.
Wow, I haven't seen "convivial" used in print in quiet some time, LOL. Yep, as great as the fans are at Neyland, the horde that travels are truly exceptional.

As for hometown fans, I am reminded of my peers during my matriculation in the ‘70s. Tennessee had lost to B***, and I was walking with a group of students off campus. We came across a B*** family whose station wagon was stuck on the soft shoulder and unable to get back onto the roadway. A big, blonde UT student said, “OK, let’s go,” and lined up to push the car from the rear. We all lined up on the rear and sides, and as the driver applied power, pushed the car onto the road. The driver paused to wave and shout thanks, then proceeded on his way. The pant legs of those who’d been in the rear were spattered with dirt. Someone said, “Better that they’re gone.” The big blonde said, “Time for a beer,” and we continued on our way. Yep. Tennessee spirit.

VN Store

Back