Dalton's Raines

I don't get in here much, but I saw this in Wes Rucker's blog and wanted to share it...

Filed by Wes Rucker
KNOXVILLE -- I spoke with Dalton High School football coach Ronnie McClurg this afternoon, and he told me that former Catamounts star and University of Tennessee signee Stephaun Raines will visit the Vols this weekend.

Raines, a speedy receiver/defensive back prospect, signed with the Vols in 2006 but didn't make it through the NCAA Clearinghouse.
McClurg said Raines enrolled at Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College in the spring 2007 semester, and he is on track to graduate by December, possibly sooner. He passed 24 hours last semester and is taking 24 more hours this semester, according to McClurg.

It's not clear whether UT still has a firm scholarship offer on the table for Raines, but McClurg said he thought there would be -- assuming Raines "stays on track academically and in good shape."
"And as I understand it, he's doing both," McClurg said. "I saw him over Christmas break, and he looks great. He's put on some weight over there, good weight, and he says he hasn't lost any speed or quickness."

When Raines was a senior at Dalton, he was 6-foot-1, 175 pounds and reportedly ran a 10.6-second 100-meter dash. If he's around 190-200 pounds and still as quick as he was when I saw him in high school, I think he's an SEC caliber player. I thought he was underrated in high school, and I know several (then known as) Division I-AA coaching staffs were crushed when SEC and ACC schools started recruiting him harder.

Raines obviously can't play in the trenches, though, which is what the Vols desperately need in this class.

I am trying to get in touch with Raines, and I plan to have a story on him in Friday's newspaper.

Hope he can get in. Will he play DB or WR. It sounded like he would be RB in the article but I think we need more depth at DB.

At 6.1 190, he sounds like a safety to me...

Not sure he's game breaker material, but he sounds like the kind of guy who gives you solid depth.

This dude is fast....I remember him coming out of HS. Late bloomer. It came down to us and USC for him and he chose the VOLS!

Raines obviously can't play in the trenches, though, which is what the Vols desperately need in this class.

amen

This dude is fast....I remember him coming out of HS. Late bloomer. It came down to us and USC for him and he chose the VOLS!

Yeah I saw him play in High School too but our team was so slow it was hard to tell how fast he was. :frown:

Yeah I saw him play in High School too but our team was so slow it was hard to tell how fast he was. :frown:

If you're talking about Ringgold, they are about to become really good. They're coach is awesome. Also, Ringgold and Lakeview dropped down to AAA so it should be a much easier road for ya'll.

They were definately more entertaining last year and they had a Junior QB who can throw it pretty good. They also had a hoss at RB who was just a Soph. Coach is a proven winner.

They were definately more entertaining last year and they had a Junior QB who can throw it pretty good. They also had a hoss at RB who was just a Soph. Coach is a proven winner.

Yeah, he moved as HC at Baylor to AD at Ringgold. Plus he gets to coach. Hopefully Lakeview will be better this year.

Sorry I just dont think much of him.. Leonard Scott was fast too but had nothing side to side..Thats how Raines is, not much lateral movement..Sorry I just dont never see him being more than a back-up..

Yeah, he moved as HC at Baylor to AD at Ringgold. Plus he gets to coach. Hopefully Lakeview will be better this year.

Actually he was at Boyd Buchanan and came to Ringgold as the girls b-ball coach until they could fire the football coach. I think he has at least changed the mind set. Maybe they'll start doing as well as our wrestling team. They just won their 7th state title since 2002.

Actually he was at Boyd Buchanan and came to Ringgold as the girls b-ball coach until they could fire the football coach. I think he has at least changed the mind set. Maybe they'll start doing as well as our wrestling team. They just won their 7th state title since 2002.

I could have swore it was Baylor.

VN Store

Back