Danny O'Brien

On the official site, here's what Coach Strip said about a day ago:

"Danny's just got to do what he does, which is, he's a great person. He's a great student. He's very, very tough. He's a brawler, so he's doing all the right things. He's just got to work on his athleticism and his soundness."

"Danny's just got to do what he does, which is, he's a great person. He's a great student. He's very, very tough. He's a brawler, so he's doing all the right things. He's just got to work on his athleticism and his soundness."

Not exactly a ringing endorsement is it? Hopefully he will get a lot better by next year.

It's been discussed in the recruiting forum that he's got a ways to go. With that being said....he's a RS freshman. It's very very hard to come into this league and make a big splash as an interior lineman on either side of the ball. Danny will be a good player for us. Our impatient fans are just gonna have to be.....patient.

And in no way was the last comment aimed at you OP.

Reactions: 2 people

Ha! That's like trying not to call a girl ugly by saying she has a great personality.

Reactions: 3 people
It's been discussed in the recruiting forum that he's got a ways to go. With that being said....he's a RS freshman. It's very very hard to come into this league and make a big splash as an interior lineman on either side of the ball. Danny will be a good player for us. Our impatient fans are just gonna have to be.....patient.

And in no way was the last comment aimed at you OP.

Its nice to atleast have a little depth to where the FR Linemen arent expected to contribute immediately. Would be nice to get to full strength so these guys can be slowly brought along and maybe not have their confidence shattered when being expected to play and play well immediately.

Reactions: 1 person
Its nice to atleast have a little depth to where the FR Linemen arent expected to contribute immediately. Would be nice to get to full strength so these guys can be slowly brought along and maybe not have their confidence shattered when being expected to play and play well immediately.

This is so true! Just think about our o-line. Look how good they are now. Wasn't that long ago we trotted them out against Oregon as freshman. They got smashed that year, smashed bad. Again, look how good they are now. Point being even they weren't ready as freshman to play at a competitive level. I'm hearing whispers of bust with Danny O from some. I call BS. I'm with you......this is how it's SUPPOSED TO BE!

If he were at Michigan or Bama (where he almost went) he would have redshirted and not seen much PT until his sophomore or Junior season. And he would have came out ripping heads off. Give it time, he'll be alright.

Reactions: 4 people
Danny on the other hand said he would not want to be any other place, these coaches are the best he has played for since arriving on the HILL

Danny on the other hand said he would not want to be any other place, these coaches are the best he has played for since arriving on the HILL

And several of the current coaches are from Michigan, as is Danny, so supposedly they have been bantering back and forth about Flint vs. Saginaw.

And several of the current coaches are from Michigan, as is Danny, so supposedly they have been bantering back and forth about Flint vs. Saginaw.

Speaking of Saginaw....how good would it be to have Arnett right now? Jeez....

As for Flint, total s***hole. Has taken over Detroit in 2013 as the nation's most violent city.

But Flint did give us The Dayton Family back in the day.

This is so true! Just think about our o-line. Look how good they are now. Wasn't that long ago we trotted them out against Oregon as freshman. They got smashed that year, smashed bad. Again, look how good they are now. Point being even they weren't ready as freshman to play at a competitive level. I'm hearing whispers of bust with Danny O from some. I call BS. I'm with you......this is how it's SUPPOSED TO BE!

If he were at Michigan or Bama (where he almost went) he would have redshirted and not seen much PT until his sophomore or Junior season. And he would have came out ripping heads off. Give it time, he'll be alright.

I'm ok with that....give him some time.

Saw the video of the after practice interview with O'Brien a couple of nights ago. Love Coach Jones. Loves Coach Stipling. Said Stipling is fantastic and the best DL coach he has ever played under, although obviously he hasn't played under that many. But said because Coaches Jones/Stipling want the DTs to be playmakers rather than space eaters, like Big Dan, O'Brien has dropped from 305 to 285 but has more muscle. He's got the look of a nasty DT. Just hope he can end up being that nasty guy.

I agree

most DT in the SEC aren't heard from till there sophomore year, after a red shirt freshmen year

I like the comment about him being a Brawler!! A truly successful DT has got to have a mean streak.

Dan's got the size and the attitude, give him a year or two of experience and technique and he has the tools in place to be dominant.

As someone else said, this is the SEC, be patient!

Thanks for the info on Danny. I was asking because I really like this kid and I hope he does great things on and off the field. He stuck with us when others jumped ship during his recruiting. Nice to hear he is not regretting his choice.

Kid is a RS freshman. DT isn't a position that normally goes against freshman. Most OL that DT's go against are 4 year Juniors or 5 year Seniors. Give the kid a break and some time.

"Danny's just got to do what he does, which

is, he's a great person. He's a great student. He's very, very tough. He's a brawler, so he's doing all the right things. He's just got to work on his athleticism and his soundness."

I like the way he said work on his athleticism. The same thing was said about Bowles at receiver by someone maybe Hubbs. I don't know but to me that seems like saying you would be good looking if you would just work on that face.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Last edited:
Speaking of Saginaw....how good would it be to have Arnett right now? Jeez....

As for Flint, total s***hole. Has taken over Detroit in 2013 as the nation's most violent city.

But Flint did give us The Dayton Family back in the day.

Is grand funk railroad from flint?

VN Store

Back