Dark money fake candidates

lawgator1

A dark money mystery in Florida state senate race - CNNPolitics

Very interesting story. A guy with same last name as Dem candidate runs as independent for state legislature and gets massive shot of money in close of election. He never really campaigns and is a petty criminal, but gets 6k votes and the Dem candidate loses by 32 votes, total.

Two shell corporations laundered the money in via GOP activists, but the money traces back to a company with a PO Box and no apparent source.

State prosecutors are looking into it, but it seems obvious that the independent candidacy was a ruse all the time to siphon off votes at the last second.

Don't get me wrong, while in this particular case a Dem candidate was the victim, it happens to GOP candidates as well. The real problem here is dark, untraceable, money.

Many of you claim to be for draining the swamp. Seems to me step 1 of any such effort, by a Dem or an R, is that political donations must be transparent. We have to know where the money is coming from to understand why its being spent and who plans to benefit.

Reactions: Wireless1

Very interesting story. A guy with same last name as Dem candidate runs as independent for state legislature and gets massive shot of money in close of election. He never really campaigns and is a petty criminal, but gets 6k votes and the Dem candidate loses by 32 votes, total.

Two shell corporations laundered the money in via GOP activists, but the money traces back to a company with a PO Box and no apparent source.

State prosecutors are looking into it, but it seems obvious that the independent candidacy was a ruse all the time to siphon off votes at the last second.

Don't get me wrong, while in this particular case a Dem candidate was the victim, it happens to GOP candidates as well. The real problem here is dark, untraceable, money.

Many of you claim to be for draining the swamp. Seems to me step 1 of any such effort, by a Dem or an R, is that political donations must be transparent. We have to know where the money is coming from to understand why its being spent and who plans to benefit.
Like voter fraud from no id, this type of thing is so rare it doesn't make a difference. It isn't worth policing. We should focus on more important stuff. Like gerrymandering.

Like voter fraud from no id, this type of thing is so rare it doesn't make a difference. It isn't worth policing. We should focus on more important stuff. Like gerrymandering.

Gerrymandering is also a huge problem, in both directions. It insulates old power and manipulated the value of votes

I think the cure would be worse than the disease. Seems it would entail even more of the government sticking it’s nose in people’s private affairs

Was his name Jeff Johnson?
HEGDG2.jpg

Reactions: Sin City Vol
I think the cure would be worse than the disease. Seems it would entail even more of the government sticking it’s nose in people’s private affairs

No, not intrusion. Simply that any money going to fund political campaign spending, be it for a candidate or a cause, be recorded and be public record.

Soros? Public.

Aetna? Public.

Reactions: lukeneyland
No, not intrusion. Simply that any money going to fund political campaign spending, be it for a candidate or a cause, be recorded and be public record.

Soros? Public.

Aetna? Public.
Ah. If it’s contained to campaign finance I agree with you

VN Store

Back