Data on Vols drafted in the NFL (All-Time)

Volosaurus rex

Doctorate in Volology
In the aftermath of the recently concluded NFL draft, I thought it would be interesting to take a look at where we stood all-time in terms of draftees. Although this data has not been updated to include this year’s draft, we rank “seventh among all schools with 330 draft selections, which leads all SEC schools. Florida is second with 304.” Despite all of their historical success, Alabama is third in the SEC, with 300 draftees, and Georgia comes in 4th overall, with 296. All data are provided by 2013 Tennessee NFL Draft Central - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics.

USC was 1st overall, with 476 picks, followed by Notre Dame (471), Ohio State (403), Oklahoma (357), Nebraska (345) and Michigan (340).

Over the last 20 years (1993-2012), the Vols have had "19 NFL First-Round Draft Picks, marking the sixth-most [tied with Alabama] of any team in college football. That mark is also second among all schools in the SEC behind Florida (21)." Miami and Ohio State are 1st and 2nd in that category, with 33 and 30, respectively.

For a complete list of all Tennessee players drafted since 1936, when Roy Rose became the first Vol selected, see UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football. Incidentally, for those who lament how long the NFL draft now lasts, there were years in the 1950s when there were at least 30 rounds.

Now bama has more than us for 1st round picks in last 19 years.

We need to step up our game (and I know we will under CBJ)

I know. I just didn't bother to recalculate all of the data to include this year's draft. If memory serves me correctly, Saban has now had as many 1st round draft selectees during his tenure at Alabama as Bear Bryant did for his entire career at 'bama. I know that it is hard to believe, if true, but it is a testimony to just how well Saban has recruited and the fact that Bryant coached roughly half of his career at Alabama during the pre-integration period.

Oops, I stand corrected. "The picks upped Saban’s total of first-round draft picks to 14 during his six seasons at Alabama. That mark is significant: Saban’s 14 first-rounders pushes the coach past legendary Crimson Tide coach Bear Bryant in that regard, as Bryant produced 13 first-round picks with Alabama. The difference? It took Bryant 25 seasons to get to that number in Tuscaloosa, according to AL.com’s Jon Solomon" (Nick Saban passes Bear Bryant for most first-round NFL draft picks at Alabama | Campus Union - SI.com).

With the scholarship limitations now in place, one really has to be impressed by Saban's stockpile of talent. He has replaced Pete Carroll as the "Pied Piper of college football recruiting."

Before 1970, there were only 16 NFL teams / 1st round picks. The merger with the AFL in 1970 upped the League by ten teams. Bryant coached at Alabama from 1958 thru 1982.

I'm surprised Fla is 2nd considering they've only had a football team since that Tennessee boy arrived there in 1990.

VN Store

Back