Delmonico is GONE!

Here's the KNS article:

Delmonico released as UT baseball coach
By UT RELEASE
June 3, 2007

University of Tennessee Athletics Director Mike Hamilton announced Sunday that Rod Delmonico has been released from his contract as the Volunteers’ head baseball coach. A national search for a successor will begin immediately.

"Earlier today I informed coach Rod Delmonico of my intention to take the baseball program in a different direction," Hamilton said. "I appreciate the job Rod has done for the University of Tennessee. During his tenure, three appearances in the College World Series, a number of great wins and numerous great players have provided our fans with many fond memories.

"In recent years, however, we have lacked the consistency in Southeastern Conference regular season and NCAA postseason play that is expected of all our programs at the University of Tennessee. I did not have a clear indication that would change in the near future.

"We all wish coach Delmonico well in the future, and a national search will begin immediately for a new head baseball coach."

Contractually, the university is obligated to pay Delmonico his annual base salary for the three years remaining on his contract, as well as one year’s worth of additional compensation for broadcast, equipment, shoe and apparel pay. That total is $430,000 payable over 12 months in equal installments.

Delmonico posted a 699-396 overall record in 18 seasons at Tennessee, including a 263-255 mark in regular-season SEC play.

I think Hamilton made the right decision. Now for the coaching search.

How about Vandy's coach?

Why Vandy's coach? Their program isn't as good as ours. Please note the sarcasm.

Tim Corbin? Only one of the top 5 coaches in baseball, pro or college? I'd take him, but he won't leave VU.

its a little off subject but what about tony delmonico does he go with daddy or stay and finish out his last 2 years im curious to what yall think

I think it depends on what Rod does. If he wants to take some time off and stay in Knoxville, he'll probably stay, but my money is they leave Knoxville and Tony follows him and goes to school elsewhere.

It will be interesting to see what Hamilton does......So far I have been pleased with Hamilton's job.....he seems like a no nonsense type of guy.....what about Garth Iorg.....has major league playing experience....minor league coaching experience.......and alotta kids go to his academy to be instructed....which could help recruiting....just a thought!

maybe Phillip Wellman will be available after the Southern League Season...

I think Hamilton's done a good job so far. He's made tough decisions making needed coaching changes, and made a fantastic hire in Pearl.

I've never understood why he gets so much criticism. The big, important decisions, he's made the right moves so far. I think Hamilton, will make a national search for a coach, and hire the best coach available.

There are a lot of good choices out there and John Pawlowski from College of Charleston tops my list. Southern Conference coach of the year last 3 out of 4 years, Super Regional last year, won their regular season this year, and former MLB pitcher. He seems to be an up and comer and will be head coach at a big school one day. Found this "www.JohnPawlowski.com" Link

Wow!!! I was impressed by Pawlowski.......plus he has Clemson ties which is where Hamilton came from.....you've changed my mind GrandSlammer!!!

On a sidebar, Delmonico's resume was so weak.

BS PE Liberty Univ
Lettered in Baseball at Liberty Univ

MS Educ Admin Clemson
Assist coach Clemson and FSU

He was lucky to be a head coach.
Why so arrogant?

Couple of things, Delmonico did not letter in baseball at Liberty, rather it was soccer that he lettered in.

As for Tony D. look for him to transfer, if the request was not already submitted, like today shortly after lunch. As for where he goes try Florida State.

Rod D. will be named head coach at FIU with in the next 2 weeks. If not as early as Friday of this week.

As for a replacement, you can talk Tim Corbin, Ray Tanner, all you want, these guys are not leaving to come to Tennessee. Both have had better oppurtunity's as recently as last year.

Also, for you to chew on, Rod was the lowest paid SEC coach at 190,000, the league average is 375,000. Lindsey Nelson is rated as the worst facility in the SEC. Try luring a big name coach with those stats. Talk about wanting something for nothing!!!

Look for UT to look at the following as a replacement:

1. Daron Schoenrock (University of Memphis)
2. Kevin O'Sullivan (Clemson University)
3. Garth Iorg (Would not be a good move)
4. John Pawolski (Coastal Carolina)
5.Todd Raliegh (Western Carolina)

Thanks

Couple of things, Delmonico did not letter in baseball at Liberty, rather it was soccer that he lettered in.

As for Tony D. look for him to transfer, if the request was not already submitted, like today shortly after lunch. As for where he goes try Florida State.

Rod D. will be named head coach at FIU with in the next 2 weeks. If not as early as Friday of this week.

As for a replacement, you can talk Tim Corbin, Ray Tanner, all you want, these guys are not leaving to come to Tennessee. Both have had better oppurtunity's as recently as last year.

Also, for you to chew on, Rod was the lowest paid SEC coach at 190,000, the league average is 375,000. Lindsey Nelson is rated as the worst facility in the SEC. Try luring a big name coach with those stats. Talk about wanting something for nothing!!!

Look for UT to look at the following as a replacement:

1. Daron Schoenrock (University of Memphis)
2. Kevin O'Sullivan (Clemson University)
3. Garth Iorg (Would not be a good move)
4. John Pawolski (Coastal Carolina)
5.Todd Raliegh (Western Carolina)

Thanks

Let's make this easier (especially for you)

LINDSEY NELSON STADIUM RENOVATIONS :: The $6 Million Project Includes A Full Reburishment Of The Facility

Now for some names:

Dave Cerrano - UC Irvine - solid program at UCI tha goes to the regionals every year and has TExas on the brink of elimination to advance to Super Regionals, former UT pitching coach

Jim Schlossnagle - TCU - helped build Tulane's program with Rick Jones to surpass LSU, coached UNLV to the regionals two years ago while setting school records for wins (won Mountain West title) and has taken TCU to the regionals the last two years (won Mountain West title)

Gary Gilmore - Coastal Carolina - midmajor makes NCAA every year and has advanced to Super Regionals a few times

John Pawloski - College of Charleston - pitched in MLB, good program at C of C

David Pierce, Rice Top Assistant under Wayne Graham, Lead Recruiter/hitting & pitching coach

Delmonico was the lowest paid coach for a reason...minimal pay raises the last 10 years due to poor performance. Next coach at UT for baseball will get around 225-250.

Let's make this easier (especially for you)

LINDSEY NELSON STADIUM RENOVATIONS :: The $6 Million Project Includes A Full Reburishment Of The Facility

Now for some names:

Dave Cerrano - UC Irvine - solid program at UCI tha goes to the regionals every year and has TExas on the brink of elimination to advance to Super Regionals, former UT pitching coach

Jim Schlossnagle - TCU - helped build Tulane's program with Rick Jones to surpass LSU, coached UNLV to the regionals two years ago while setting school records for wins (won Mountain West title) and has taken TCU to the regionals the last two years (won Mountain West title)

Gary Gilmore - Coastal Carolina - midmajor makes NCAA every year and has advanced to Super Regionals a few times

John Pawloski - College of Charleston - pitched in MLB, good program at C of C

David Pierce, Rice Top Assistant under Wayne Graham, Lead Recruiter/hitting & pitching coach

Delmonico was the lowest paid coach for a reason...minimal pay raises the last 10 years due to poor performance. Next coach at UT for baseball will get around 225-250.

Nice reasoning on UT's inability to pay a coach. Minimal pay raises the last 10 years due to poor performance, 2 CWS appaerances, your right that is poor.

Call it like it is, not poor performance a lack of consisitent performance. As for your perdiction on what UT will pay the next coach, we will give you the benefit of the doubt. Does your estimation take into account braodcast, apparel/shoe cotracts, and appearances?

As for Lindsey Nelson, remember, only the monies for Phase 1 has been secured a little under 2 million. Nothing has been scheduled beyond the rennovations this summer.

Your candidates all have experience, in leagues that are pretty insignificant in the College Baseball Ranks, especially the Head Coaches you have listed.

Listen to Mike Hamilton, he has already said he wants head coaching experience, league experience, and I would think recruiting the So Con or A10 is nothing like the SEC or ACC.

Nice Try!

Thanks for the info adidassler99......why would Garth Iorg be a bad hire......i threw his name out other day...would it be recruiting or what???

Thanks for the info adidassler99......why would Garth Iorg be a bad hire......i threw his name out other day...would it be recruiting or what???

aevols2,

Do not get me wrong, Garth is a great instructor and motivational type coach. Unfortunately, I believe that recruiting would be a problem. I do understand that he has developed connections through The Yard.

I just believe that unless someone has recruited in the SEC they have no idea what all it takes to be successful in this league.

On the other hand Head Coaches now hire Pitching Coaches/Recruiting Coordinators??????

I do believe he is on the short list, I do believe in the end that Mike will be looking for someone with SEC ecperience.

BHubbs is reporting Tim Corbin, Brian O'Connor, and Dave Cerrano are all listed as candidates. Out of those Dave Cerrano is your best bet, however UCI is taking care of Dave pretty well.

It shall be interesting.

VN Store

Back