Dennis Dodd of CBSsportsline.com ranks Vols #2

Jmxvol

We just moved up in Dennis Dodd's poll without even taking the field. This is the first time I remember this much hype about the big orange since the 1996 SI cover.

Phil Steele is what killed us in the Avg rankings.

He had us as third in the East behind GA and UF.

MORON.

For those that think the vols are underrated or dissrespected or w/e...this proves that completely wrong. The vols are well hyped, and will start the season in the top 5, maybe even as high as #2. Some may think youre overrated (trev alberts and co.) but youre still going to be ranked high, and thats all that really matters.

IF the Vols can win through those tough road games they could reach #1 quickly....or fall very hard...time will tell.

Phil Steele picked us to win the SEC East in 2002 and 2003

Didn't in 2004 and 2001

So..lets break this trend

Originally posted by Vol67@Jul 10, 2005 6:07 PM
UT is overrated, but not as overrated as UF
[snapback]111990[/snapback]​

Not any more than any other team. Iowa? Texas? F$U? Louisville? If you have ever read what Dodd writes you will know he's a moron. Even when he talks about us I still don't listen. UT has the talent to be ranked with anyone in the country. Bring 'em all on!

Originally posted by Vol67@Jul 10, 2005 5:07 PM
UT is overrated, but not as overrated as UF
[snapback]111990[/snapback]​

How are we overrated? We should be ranked around 10-15, give or take a few rankings. 8 is close to what we deserve. Its not like were top 5. But please tell me how you think we're overrated.

Originally posted by GatorVille@Jul 10, 2005 9:33 PM
How are we overrated?  We should be ranked around 10-15, give or take a few rankings.  8 is close to what we deserve.  Its not like were top 5.  But please tell me how you think we're overrated.
[snapback]112052[/snapback]​

A first-year, unproven, mid-major coach with a new offense to install. While Meyer and Alex Smith got most of the attention, the defense was winning some of those games. Meyer didn't coach the defense. I think there's talent left because Zook could recruit, but it will be an uphill battle. Also, if Meyer leaves Leak exposed like Smith, he and CJ could be spending alot of time together...in the trraining room.

No one is saying the possibility is there but what is the ranking based on, a 7-5 record and a Peach bowl loss?

Well seeing as how we return something like 18 starters or something like that ( I forget the number) from the SEC best O and a very tallented D and also get the hottest coach in the country, thats why were getting SOME attention. Top 5 is what really counts. But UM with 2 COY awards in the last 4 years and he hasnt lost in like 2 years, I can see why the media likes him. To each his own, but i think 10-15, give or take a few, is a rightful rank for UF.

Last years schedule:
Texas A&M
Arizona
Utah St
Air Force
New Mexico
UNC
UNLV
San Diego St
Colorado St.
Wyoming
BYU

Come on, a COY award means much with that? UK and Vandy could be bowl eligible with that schedule.

I care less who he played, he dominated, in incredible fashion. Also won a Fiesta Bowl in once again, in incredible fashion. But, I guess well see this season. See you 9/17 :)

Originally posted by GatorVille@Jul 10, 2005 10:04 PM
I care less who he played, he dominated, in incredible fashion.  Also won a Fiesta Bowl in once again, in incredible fashion.  But, I guess well see this season.  See you 9/17 :)
[snapback]112074[/snapback]​

I agree it is always impressive to go undefeated no matter what conf. I just don't see Utah's and Auburn's seasons as even being comparable. I was also at the Fiesta Bowl this year and Pitt was AWFUL! They had no business being there. I really wanted to see AU and Utah, now that would have shown a lot.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I agree with both our and UF's rankings.

Sorry to be so non-confrontational!

Originally posted by kiddiedoc@Jul 10, 2005 10:16 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I agree with both our and UF's rankings.

Sorry to be so non-confrontational!
[snapback]112086[/snapback]​

I kinda do too. I wish every team we played was ranked in the top-15 then we'd look better. I've just been playing on the CBS boards so I need to tone myself down a little now. ;)

<_< You know I find myself reading this stuff and listening to Trev Alberts and Mark May run there mouth and it angers me. Then I realized something, who cares what people say or what ESPN dummy has it in for us. It does not matter to me where the vols are ranked before the season, it matters to me where they are ranked after the SEC championship. People are focusing on the wrong things, has anyone ever won a preseason championship? I didn&#39;t think so. Listen, I am not trying to kill all the pride being voiced by you all but we need to quit worrying about what ESPN and everyone else is thinking. It doesn&#39;t matter, they have a motto they follow every year. "Go with you gut, then kiss some butt". What that means is that they run off at the mouth and then eat crow quick. I say don&#39;t worry, just keep the crow handy and get ready to serve. :rocks:

Originally posted by U&#045;T@Jul 10, 2005 3:16 PM
Phil Steele picked us to win the SEC East in 2002 and 2003

Didn&#39;t in 2004 and 2001

So..lets break this trend
[snapback]111933[/snapback]​

He didnt pick us this year, so we wouldnt be breaking a trend. We will continue the trend.

Pre-season rankings are garbage anyway. I&#39;d rather take one game at a time. Hopefully the players are thinking the same.

Originally posted by Z06Vol@Jul 11, 2005 8:27 AM
Pre-season rankings are garbage anyway. I&#39;d rather take one game at a time. Hopefully the players are thinking the same.
[snapback]112304[/snapback]​

That is the TRUTH&#33;&#33; The last time the Vols were a preseason top 5 we ended up not even ranked. I learned my lesson about believing everything the preseason pundits said. As NCGatorbait said...

"Time will tell".

Originally posted by GatorVille@Jul 10, 2005 9:33 PM
How are we overrated?

Top 5 in some polls that I have seen.....Top 10 in others....this for a team that lost how many games last year? Losing their best defensive player? Bring in an entire new system?

3-4 losses, imo for UF

Originally posted by Dagreek1998@Jul 11, 2005 5:41 AM
<_<  You know I find myself reading this stuff and listening to Trev Alberts and Mark May run there mouth and it angers me. Then I realized something, who cares what people say or what ESPN dummy has it in for us. It does not matter to me where the vols are ranked before the season, it matters to me where they are ranked after the SEC championship. People are focusing on the wrong things, has anyone ever won a preseason championship? I didn&#39;t think so. Listen, I am not trying to kill all the pride being voiced by you all but we need to quit worrying about what ESPN and everyone else is thinking. It doesn&#39;t matter, they have a motto they follow every year. "Go with you gut, then kiss some butt". What that means is that they run off at the mouth and then eat crow quick.  I say don&#39;t worry, just keep the crow handy and get ready to serve. :rocks:
[snapback]112300[/snapback]​

The reason people are worried is because of what happened to Auburn last season. Many blame the fact that they didn&#39;t get into the Orange Bowl on their low preseason ranking.

For this to happen, there will have to be three undefeated regular season teams in &#39;05... I seriously doubt it. If there is, and we are undefeated, then I will worry. But other than that, we just need to worry about winning at Atlanta for the automatic BCS bid.

3 undefeated BCS-Conference teams that is....a team going undefeated in a non-BCS conference wont out beat us

VN Store

Back