Did Yancey get a raw deal?

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
He is not on scholarship this year. Just didn't have room.

I don't know . . . He's never really been higher than 3rd or 4th on the depth chart, but I think he may have been the 3rd leading rusher last year. I would have liked to have seen him get one, but I guess the coaches figure he's obviously going to be around anyway.

wow i thought for sure he would get a scholarship but the freshmen are so impressive it would be hard too.

sorry yancey. i still love u man.

it is all the ncaa's fault.

Originally posted by Vol67@Aug 9, 2005 11:04 PM
No
[snapback]125045[/snapback]​

Just didn't deserve a scholly?

It's a business and I am sure that he is not as talented as our other backs. Ideally it would have been nice if we had one for him.

He was a walk-on that earned a scholarship for a year, but with the team hard against the numbers his had to be given up

Originally posted by Vol67@Aug 9, 2005 11:11 PM
He was a walk-on that earned a scholarship for a year, but with the team hard against the numbers his had to be given up
[snapback]125054[/snapback]​

I know the deal, I just thought once they put him on scholly that he would stay there. Not the case though obviously.

Originally posted by vol_freak@Aug 9, 2005 10:17 PM
I know the deal, I just thought once they put him on scholly that he would stay there. Not the case though obviously.
[snapback]125060[/snapback]​

Shhhh....this is what they're all over Spurrier about. I'd hate to give the media more ammo. :eek:k:

Originally posted by utvolpj@Aug 9, 2005 11:20 PM
Shhhh....this is what they're all over Spurrier about.  I'd hate to give the media more ammo.  :eek:k:
[snapback]125061[/snapback]​

For all I know Fulmer could have told Yancey it was just for one year. :dunno:

Funny that Trooper Taylor's comment on Yancey today was:

"Everybody keeps forgetting about David Yancey. If we played tomorrow, Yancey would probably be the second back because of protections and doing the little things right and being accountable."

TT, will fight for him. It really bummed me out reading that he was no longer on the ship'.

Im not a huge fan of him, But other than blow outs we dont get to see him. That in NO way says he doesnt work his rear off to compete!

I am not discrediting any of Yancy's hard work but, I wonder if part of him getting the scholarship last year was Fulmer's way of helping out the family with some of his mom's medical bill's.

It is very troubling for the young man, b/c from everything I've read he is a very hard worker and a pretty good back. He had a good looking TD run against South Carolina, I think.

However, if we just don't have enough scholarships then we just don't have enough. We lost Ulysses Alexander to Auburn b/c we couldn't give him one either.

Originally posted by GenNeyland9@Aug 10, 2005 9:04 AM
It is very troubling for the young man, b/c from everything I've read he is a very hard worker and a pretty good back.  He had a good looking TD run against South Carolina, I think.

However, if we just don't have enough scholarships then we just don't have enough.  We lost Ulysses Alexander to Auburn b/c we couldn't give him one either.
[snapback]125194[/snapback]​

I think Yancey probably understood the situation. If anything, I think we probably should be applauding Coach for giving him a free ride for a year.

I'm sure all of the numbers and possibilities were discussed with him prior to the scholly being awarded for a year.

As far as that goes, they're all awarded on an annual basis. I think it's pretty well understood that you'll be on scholarship for 4 years, but when a kid fails to live up to their end of the contract, and that's what a scholarship is, then the contract can be broken due to terms. As for Yancey, he was never promised a ship to begin with, just an opportunity.

VN Store

Back