DL Coaching

This shows how good the coaching our DL is getting.

I remember for the last 10-15 years how we tried to justify recruiting lower rated players, and that we should trust the that whoever the staff we had at the time to build them up and make them into SEC players, and players worthy of wearing the Orange and White.

Garner's might be the only coach that I ever believe could actually develop players in his position group to tier one level players. I'm so grateful that we were able to bring him back to Tennessee.

I remember for the last 10-15 years how we tried to justify recruiting lower rated players, and that we should trust the that whoever the staff we had at the time to build them up and make them into SEC players, and players worthy of wearing the Orange and White.

Garner's might be the only coach that I ever believe could actually develop players in his position group to tier one level players. I'm so grateful that we were able to bring him back to Tennessee.
And we need to make sure Garner gets paid what he's worth and retires here.

Blank check for Coach Garner. If you have a guy that can develop a group that wins with four, suddenly the whole defense gets a lot better and that is what we have. When we had to blitz a lot to get pressure the last two years, it made us look bad. Now we can play 7 on 4 in coverage and that lets us be more aggressive in coverage while having protection.

Garner is the best DL coach in the country. Heupel like every thing else has built an incredible staff. Coach, recruit, develop & put up with BS. All are doing outstanding jobs.
Hard to believe what they’ve done in 4 yrs with the dumpster fire they inherited!

I would add Dan Brooks to the conversation. He was a big factor in Klempsons rise to the Top. Along with Trevor Lawrence who as we know didnt fit our system.:)

When CRG was at Tennessee in 96 and 97 he coached tight ends and offensive tackles . Now he is the best D-Line coach in college football . He has put a bunch of players in the pros .

DE Byron Young, Los Angeles Rams, 2023 (3rd round)
DT Matthew Butler, Las Vegas, 2022 (5th round)
DT Derrick Brown, Carolina, 2020 (1st round)
DE Marlon Davidson, Atlanta, 2020 (2nd round)
DT Dontavius Russell, Jacksonville, 2019 (7th round)
DT Montavius Adams, Green Bay, 2017 (3rd round)
DE Carl Lawson, Cincinnati, 2017 (4th round)
DT Angelo Blackson, Tennessee, 2015 (4th round)
DT Gabe Wright, Detroit, 2015 (4th round)
DE Dee Ford, Kansas City, 2014 (1st round)
DT John Jenkins, New Orleans, 2013 (3rd round)
DE Cornelius Washington, Chicago, 2013 (6th round)
DE Deangelo Tyson, Baltimore, 2012 (7th round)
DT Geno Atkins, Cincinnati, 2010 (4th round)
DT Jeff Owens, Philadelphia, 2010 (7th round)
DE Kade Weston, New England, 2010 (7th round)
DT Corvey Irvin, Carolina, 2009 (3rd round)
DE Jarius Wynn, Green Bay, 2009 (6th round)
DE Marcus Howard, Indianapolis, 2008 (5th round)
DE Quentin Moses, Oakland, 2007 (3rd round)
DE Charles Johnson, Carolina, 2007 (3rd round)
DT Kedric Golston, Washington, 2006 (6th round)
DE David Pollack, Cincinnati, 2005 (1st round)
DE Robert Geathers, Cincinnati, 2004 (4th round)
DT Johnathan Sullivan, New Orleans, 2003 (1st round)
DE Charles Grant, New Orleans, 2002 (1st round)
DE Josh Mallard, Indianapolis, 2002 (7th round)
DT Richard Seymour, New England, 2001 (1st round)
DT Marcus Stroud, Jacksonville, 2001 (1st round)
DE Tyron Robertson, Buffalo, 2001 (7th round)
OT Chad Clifton, Green Bay, 2000 (2nd round)
DE Antonio Cochran, Seattle, 1999 (4th round)
DT Emarlos Leroy, Jacksonville, 1999 (6th round)
TE Fred Baxter, New York Jets, 1993 (5th round)

Man, just watching those highlights and thinking back over these first four games…that looks like a TENNESSEE DEFENSE. Casuals and people outside the fanbase forget that’s what this program was built on, suffocating, hard-nosed defense. Which side of the ball wears Orange during the Spring game?

Heupel understands that, and I think going forward, that will be the team’s core identity, even if the sports media continues to talk about us primarily as the team that runs three plays a minute. You pair a defense playing up to UT’s historic standard with the kind of explosive offense that Heupel is known for, and we’re going to watch these boys win a lot of games.

VN Store

Back