Do you have a side hustle?

allstar34bd

My Mon-Friday pays my bills; but the last few years with inflation and all that money doesn’t go near as far. Do you guys have any side hustles or hobbies that gives you a little more financial freedom?

I’m in sales; but the life cycles of my deals are extremely long and I want to be able to throw some money back during the slow times as well. What do you do on the side? Is it because you enjoy it? Or does it actually make a difference in your quality of life?

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
I have worked in healthcare (laboratory diagnostic science) for the majority of my adult working years. It pays well but like anyone else, it is cool to acquire extra cash. A good friend of mine owns a lawn care and tree cutting business. On the weekends, he always needs help cutting trees and hauling them away. Honestly, it is easy money.

My Mon-Friday pays my bills; but the last few years with inflation and all that money doesn’t go near as far. Do you guys have any side hustles or hobbies that gives you a little more financial freedom?

I’m in sales; but the life cycles of my deals are extremely long and I want to be able to throw some money back during the slow times as well. What do you do on the side? Is it because you enjoy it? Or does it actually make a difference in your quality of life?
I know a few ppl door dashing and doing uber eats. One in particular stops at $100 a night made. He uses the money for son's college tuition. Another claims she makes $20 an hour.

Reactions: SpecialKVolfan20

From what I understand some women make extra cash selling fans? Not sure if it's ceiling or boxed?🤷‍♂️

Been too busy for it this past year. But was buying and selling on eBay for a couple of years. Not life changing money, but was able to provide some extra spending cash for my wife and myself each month, and be able to bring an extra $2k on vacation one year just from profits.

I did it because I enjoyed it though, the extra money was just a bonus.

Reactions: HeadVol77
I have worked in healthcare (laboratory diagnostic science) for the majority of my adult working years. It pays well but like anyone else, it is cool to acquire extra cash. A good friend of mine owns a lawn care and tree cutting business. On the weekends, he always needs help cutting trees and hauling them away. Honestly, it is easy money.
If a person is healthy, industrious, and has any kind of home maintenance / repair / improvement skills then there are a lot more folks looking for people to do those tasks than there are people doing it.

Through a stroke of good luck, bought some land and built a spec home. Rolled revenue; Now building two more.

(P.S. You make your own luck.)
Building two more on the same tract? You have a contractor's license?
I'm a former residential real estate developer. Assuming you are borrowing money, be careful. Things are very good now, but can change quickly. You don't want to get stuck making monthly interest payments on houses that aren't selling.
I'm strictly commercial at the moment. Have contracts. Hopefully retired by the end of year.

Building two more on the same tract? You have a contractor's license?
I'm a former residential real estate developer. Assuming you are borrowing money, be careful. Things are very good now, but can change quickly. You don't want to get stuck making monthly interest payments on houses that aren't selling.
I'm strictly commercial at the moment. Have contracts. Hopefully retired by the end of year.
Yes, two more houses on the same (subdivided) tract.

Not a contractor, but I helped a young contractor get his start. That relationship has benefitted us both.
Borrowing on one of the builds, but nothing more than I can carry from my regular income, if necessary.

Building nicer-than-average spec homes. Tray ceilings, wainscoting, floored attics, climate controlled storage space, tile showers, backsplash in kitchen. Priced at same level as normal builds. I have a good day job so I don't need to squeeze every nickel out of a build. It makes these houses very competitive vs. similarly priced homes. And, everyone in the neighborhood is happy because they aren't next to a crappy rectangle that has no character. (Plus, I've helped all their property values.)

Two things I keep in mind:

1. Everybody wins. If there is a loser in the deal, anywhere in the deal, I say "no." I don't need my reputation hurt by having someone lose in a deal with me. That would hurt the day job. I also believe that if I look out for others, things will work out for me.

2. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. I don't have to kill it on every deal. I don't have to hit home runs. String together a few doubles, walks and singles, and I am going to score runs.

Hopefully, I keep making money. Hopefully, I do it in a way that improves my community.
If everything goes to crap, well, I guess I will have to go tend bar.

Cheers,
RW

Not a contractor, but I helped a young contractor get his start. That relationship has benefitted us both.
Borrowing on one of the builds, but nothing more than I can carry from my regular income, if necessary.

Building nicer-than-average spec homes. Tray ceilings, wainscoting, floored attics, climate controlled storage space, tile showers, backsplash in kitchen. Priced at same level as normal builds. I have a good day job so I don't need to squeeze every nickel out of a build. It makes these houses very competitive vs. similarly priced homes. And, everyone in the neighborhood is happy because they aren't next to a crappy rectangle that has no character. (Plus, I've helped all their property values.)

1. Everybody wins. If there is a loser in the deal, anywhere in the deal, I say "no." I don't need my reputation hurt by having someone lose in a deal with me. That would hurt the day job. I also believe that if I look out for others, things will work out for me.

2. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. I don't have to kill it on every deal. I don't have to hit home runs. String together a few doubles, walks and singles, and I am going to score runs.

Hopefully, I keep making money. Hopefully, I do it in a way that improves my community.

Cheers,
RW
Yes sir. One of my best bosses shared that with me.

Too many out there only want the HRs.

Cheers,
RW

#2 is the best business advice anyone could give.

I didn't do anything as far as being paid on the side,but I did some side volunteer work helping out Meals on Wheels. I did it off and on before moving to where I am now. Very rewarding helping out those less fortunate and feeling like I could do something for someone. I like doing stuff like that even when I'm getting paid at my normal place of work.

VN Store

Back