Do you think?

JWVol

We will ever see Florida or Georgia play an out of conference game where the temperature is less than 50 degrees? I give the example of UT at ND late in the year.

The rest of the question is, do they not schedule these type games becuase of their fertile recruiting grounds or that they don't want to be possibly exposed? I will even put LSU in as well with this question.

I would think it is the fact they are giving up a guaranteed win against a team like The Citadel at home and the extra cash earned from that game.

You mentioned the past 3 SEC champions and the past 2 national champions... Looks like they didn't suffer much.

The best chance for Florida to play an OOC game in under 50 degrees is against FSU in November...but that usually doesn't happen...This game is a perfect example of the recruiting battle in Florida. The consistent winner usually gets a lot of good recruits in the state...

LSU played Virginia Tech last year so the argument holds no merit with them. Florida plays Miami this year and Florida St so the competition is there for them too. I believe Ga plays Arizona St this year but am not sure. These games are not against cold weather teams but are against good competition. The cold weather factor really isn't that important due to their ability to recruit from their home states and nearby states. Tennessee, on the other hand, can benefit from going up North every now and then.

Would they have been NC if they had to go on the road out of the SEC in 30 degree weather?

I am not trying to say that weather is The deciding factor for traditional warm weather teams to have success. True, the talent of the matchups is there, just where and when they are played is my main question.

LSU played Virginia Tech last year so the argument holds no merit with them. Florida plays Miami this year and Florida St so the competition is there for them too. I believe Ga plays Arizona St this year but am not sure. These games are not against cold weather teams but are against good competition. The cold weather factor really isn't that important due to their ability to recruit from their home states and nearby states. Tennessee, on the other hand, can benefit from going up North every now and then.
The Hokies went to play in Baton Rouge so your argument holds no merit in this scenario.

Georgia and Florida have a little bit of a built in excuse since they play 1 game a year at a neutral site and their in state rivals are built in out of conference BCS opponents.

Does anyone think it would have changed the outcome any if LSU or Florida would have played the Buckeyes in Columbus? Didn't seem to bother Illinois any last year. Like someone said earlier, Since Georgia, Florida, and LSU can recruit almost exclusively in state and still pull top-tier talent, there is no need for them to travel north late in the year during a grueling SEC schedule. Us, on the other hand, is (compared to those states) barren in in-state talent, so it is essential for us to play games in places such as Cali and Ohio (and other talent rich states) to keep up in the recruiting battles.

VN Store

Back