Does anyone remember...

Auburn. Just another in a long list of reasons that I fully detest those peckerwoods. Auburn ranks right up there at the top on a list of douchebag programs.

Reactions: WillisWG
It was a little before my time, but I recall my dad telling me about a game where the opposing fans threw oranges at the team as they ran out on to the field. The plan backfired and we ended up winning the game handily.

Anyone remember what game this was? For some reason I want to think it was Auburn but I might be wrong.
I don't remember the year but the game was at Auburn. Fired up a bunch of hillbillies.

Auburn threw oranges at our players in 1980 and we beat them like 42-0. At around the 4 min mark of the Majors show you can see it

THANKS FOR THAT!!! I REALLY ENJOYED watching that AGAIN after 45 years!!!!

It was a little before my time, but I recall my dad telling me about a game where the opposing fans threw oranges at the team as they ran out on to the field. The plan backfired and we ended up winning the game handily.

Anyone remember what game this was? For some reason I want to think it was Auburn but I might be wrong.
Yes, I was at a game when this happened. It was during the Majors era, and it was versus Memphis. It was also at the Liberty Bowl stadium in Memphis.
I will never forget the guy had so many oranges and just kept throwing and throwing when the team ran out for the start of the game.

1992 game.

Last edited:

I am pretty sure it was not at Vandy but I may be wrong. Maybe at Auburn?

Last edited:
Yeah, I watched the videos of the AU game. The orange volume in my day 69-73 was nowhere near that organized or that immense but it was not unusual to see scattered oranges at any field and even at Neyland back then. I just remember VU being the worst.

Don't remember the year but it was Auburn because I had some Auburn friends who seriously thought throwing oranges (some of the frozen) was classy…the players had to keep their helmets on when on the sidelines

Couldn't be Kensucky.They are all ragarms except for those who tossed lit cigarettes into Bernard King's hair at rupp arena.

I don't recall the year, but remember our fans participating in similar knuckleheaded-ness. I believe we were playing Army and they either tied or beat us. A bunch of servicemen were gathered in the corner on one side of the field and a cascade of plastic cups were launched in their direction.

Auburn 1980, they were horrible that year and were always trying gimmicks to distract from their suckage. They fired their coach at the end of the season and hired Pat Dye.

I remember as a kid I was at one of early ‘70s games (‘71-‘72?) in Nashville and Vandy fans hit one of Vols’ players with an orange. I think it might have been John Snow or Mike Edwards

Auburn, 1980...UT won 42-0, at Auburn

VN Store

Back