Dogs' Southerland may miss at least 5 games

Athensvol

Dogs' Southerland may miss at least 5 games

Fullback has foot surgery

By CARTER STRICKLAND
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 06/06/08

Athens — Georgia fullback Brannan Southerland suffered a setback in his rehabilitation of a foot injury and has had to undergo an additional surgery Friday. He could miss at least the first five games of the season.

Southerland, who has been the starter for three years, could be out for as many as 16 weeks after surgery on his left foot to repair a fracture, according to Ron Courson, Georgia's director of sports medicine.

The 16-week mark is Sept. 26, the day before Georgia plays Alabama in Athens. Among the other games in September, Georgia plays at South Carolina and Arizona State. After a weekend off Oct. 4, Georgia plays Tennessee at home Oct. 11.

Compounding the problem is that Fred Munzenmaier, one of the two backups to Southerland, has been suspended for the first two games of the season — against Georgia Southern and Central Michigan, so the role of fullback falls to Shaun Chapas for those games.

Southerland broke the navicular bone in his left foot at the end of last season and missed the entire spring. Tests performed this week revealed a fracture of the same bone in a different location.

Surgery was required to repair the fracture.

Southerland started 10 games last season and played in 12. He has 25 career starts and in 2006 became the first fullback since 1957 (Theron Sapp) to lead the team in scoring. He had 10 touchdowns, eight rushing and two receiving.

If he hasn't done a redshirt yet, this is the time to do it, if I'm Georgia. On 9/26 he won't be in game shape.

If he hasn't done a redshirt yet, this is the time to do it, if I'm Georgia. On 9/26 he won't be in game shape.

He already redshirted in 2004. Truthfully, just looking at him on paper, I don't think he'll be that hard to replace unless he was just an amazing blocker.

He already redshirted in 2004. Truthfully, just looking at him on paper, I don't think he'll be that hard to replace unless he was just an amazing blocker.

He's a really good football player, and his loss will be felt by Georgia.

Not as much as you'd think...yes, he is a good player...but a fullback who gets an occasional run every series isnt that importan...dont get me wrong though, he is very good at what he is required to do.

He's a really good football player, and his loss will be felt by Georgia.

All I'm saying is that unless his blocking was very impressive, which it may be, that his loss as far as carries/catches probably won't be felt. As the situation stands, it is unfortunate that he will have to miss significant time in what is probably the final season of his football career.

this guy is a freak on the football field. he's got a little Owen Schmitt in him

Yeah, they will be feeling this. He's a fantastic blocker. He decleats people just about every running play. He's pretty fast for a FB also and has good hands. I hope they lose to Arizona St.

i think he had 2 TD's against us in 2006. 1 rush and 1 rec. he also had a hell of a catch between two defenders

They are like us, they don't have a lot of depth on the DL. Lomax is likely suspended for a few games. They don't have a lot of depth on the OL either. Their starting OG Boling is suspended for atleast 1, maybe 2. One of their back FB's is suspended for 2 games. I think the Central Michigan game will be a little closer than most would think. CM has a top rated QB in Lafavour(sp). I'm calling upset.

VN Store

Back