DT in 2014

volfanCLT

Well-Hung Member
As we all know we will be losing 3 key DT's next year in McCullers, Couch, and Hood. What are ya'lls thoughts on that position for 2014?

Last edited:
2014 season could be brutal - lose 4 starters on OL and these three DTs! Ouch.

Butch needs to win this season because he may have even less to work with in his second season.

Reactions: 1 person
Its weird we didn't hit the JUCO Lineman sweep stakes this year...especially with room for scollys. I think bUTch might have made his first long-term mistake.

Its weird we didn't hit the JUCO Lineman sweep stakes this year...especially with room for scollys. I think bUTch might have made his first long-term mistake.

He is going to have to do that in this class before its done because we are facing a big black hole for our o and d lines. Can't start true freshman at those positions.

That's it - one mistake - FIRE HIM!

HAHA :lolabove: Some one here will actually want to fire him at this point.

But this could have him facing a win or else year in 2015.

Haven't heard much out of O'Brien or Saulsbury.. Hope they can at least get on the field a little to get some experience

Think we will be fine. Land Poona etc and move Carr to DT. We have O'Brien, Saulsbury, Carson, and Clark.

We absolutely have to look at JUCO kids. Guys that can start soon. Behind our seniors, we have O'brien, Saulsberry and more than likely Jason Carr. That's not a lot of depth.

mccullers... couch... juco is part of the reason were in this mess.

One juco this class, sure but we Need to recruit a couple difference-making HS DTs.

And Need Carr to be able to contribute quickly.

I know people are thrilled with how the '14 class is going so far (I am as well), but I've been saying for weeks that we need to hit the trenches hard with this class. I wouldn't mind looking into a few JUCO prospects, but as someone's already mentioned above, we need to get some linemen in this program who are gonna be here for a while.

Reactions: 2 people
If we know it you can bet that bUTch knows it too and he's working on it.

Brick by brick, position by position.

I won't be surprised if by NSD we'll have some BIG boys coming to Tennessee too.

I'll bet that Hurd and the other boys have a nice list of recruits to help work on now too.

I think this class really wants the rep as the class that put Tennessee back on the map and back in the SEC Championship game or beyond.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 4 people
I know people are thrilled with how the '14 class is going so far (I am as well), but I've been saying for weeks that we need to hit the trenches hard with this class. I wouldn't mind looking into a few JUCO prospects, but as someone's already mentioned above, we need to get some linemen in this program who are gonna be here for a while.

Honestly man a DT that can play for 3 is just as good as a HS player cause the reality is if you find a good DT he's only going to play for you 2-3 years. I wouldn't worry about it at all it's april for Christ sake. NSD is in February we have a long time.

Honestly man a DT that can play for 3 is just as good as a HS player cause the reality is if you find a good DT he's only going to play for you 2-3 years. I wouldn't worry about it at all it's april for Christ sake. NSD is in February we have a long time.

I know what you're saying, but let's not act like it isn't a concern. For whatever reason, we haven't exactly killed it on the recruiting trail as of late in terms of D-linemen. I'm hoping Jones can not only change that, but get the most out of what we currently have.

It has been a real problem for many years at DT....

but we now have a coach who can recruit big time players. For the last few years we have been hoping that the name will get it done and it has not happened. These boys are doing the work to get the talent that we need to compete in the SEC. :p

It has been a problem recently. Yet, it wasn't all that long ago that UT had Dan Williams, Demonte Bolden, etc. I do believe CBJ should've kept after the two JUCO DTs from Kansas. I think CBJ recognizes the depth issues next year and will address them. His track record so far demonstrates he can and will get some big timers at the line positions. Plus, I think OL depth isn't quite as bad as some make it out to be.

I think if the DL produces this year we will have a good DT class. I agree we need Jucos, but we shouldn't rely in that. Carr will be.a beast as will O'Brien. We need depth though.

I suspect we have a big TE that will grow into an OT. So we are in better shape on OL than DL. We have 3 people who can start now. Add 2 more and we have our starters

Jay Bay on the EA Show made a pretty good observation. Said he thought the staff was doing it right by getting all the top rated skill players to commit early cause that's who the linemen like to play with. Never really thought of it that way but makes since. Probably start seeing some O and D linemen commit pretty soon.

Reactions: 2 people
Jay Bay on the EA Show made a pretty good observation. Said he thought the staff was doing it right by getting all the top rated skill players to commit early cause that's who the linemen like to play with. Never really thought of it that way but makes since. Probably start seeing some O and D linemen commit pretty soon.

True. Also, it's still really early and from my understanding coaches take much more time to evaluate linemen and offer.

Also, Ainge said he factually knows the staff is pushing hard for linemen in this class and they know, just like the fans, dominating the line of scrimmage is how you win in the SEC. Said we've offered every 4 and 5 Star linemen in this class and they aren't worried. Which says to me the staff feels good about landing top notch O and D line guys.

It didn't help the D-line depth that: Defense as a whole sucked last year, Omari Phillips and Trent Taylor transferred, Joe Sanders and DJ Jones are both NQs, and we dropped the guy that gave us the Hutchinson pipeline so we missed out on Toby Johnson.

That being said, we lead for Poona Ford and can pull a few more DLmen by NSD, I'm sure.

On O-Line, don't forget that we have 4 coming in over the summer. (Sanders, Kendrick, Wiseman, Dockery) After sitting/learning/S&C for a year, they should be ready to provide depth in '14 when the 1s graduate. We have one OL committed (Coleman Thomas, he's a good un), I think we lead for Orlando Brown, and I really hope we snatch Alex Bars from the middle of our state.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back