End of season discussions

ETNCvol

ETNCvol
I’m imagining that at the of the season, the coaches sit around and watch and grade, each individual player, the head coach, then sits down with each individual player and assesses their ability to further contribute to the team going forward. Based upon that discussion, each player then decides whether he wants to work hard to get better and possibly play next year or enter the transfer portal where they possibly could improve their chances of making it to the NFL for big money.

Sounds like, maybe the entire defensive backs heard their coach say “we think we have better players to play, you might want to enter the portal if you want to play from here on” Or maybe they’ve been told that there’s gonna be a new defensive back coach.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Just a VolinTears
I’m imagining that at the of the season, the coaches sit around and watch and grade, each individual player, the head coach, then sits down with each individual player and assesses their ability to further contribute to the team going forward. Based upon that discussion, each player then decides whether he wants to work hard to get better and possibly play next year or enter the transfer portal where they possibly could improve their chances of making it to the NFL for big money.

Sounds like, maybe the entire defensive backs heard their coach say “we think we have better players to play, you might want to enter the portal if you want to play from here on” Or maybe they’ve been told that there’s gonna be a new defensive back coach.

Thoughts?
If they wait to the end of the season they waited too long. They watch practice and game film almost daily and have pretty firm idea before the meetings take place which ones they want back and which ones that should look elsewhere.

Reactions: savannahfan
AP and Hubbs are convinced Martinez contract is renewed.

I do think its likely that most of those guys were urged to leave to make the room they need to bring back as many Super Seniors as possible. Tmac and Doneiko maybe had an option but probably want more NIL, and Im not sure either are worth it when there’s still some targets in HS and the TP.

The only one Im not sure about is Baron, and he still hasn’t actually left yet so who knows. Im sure it’s about money more than anything because he’s not going to improve his draft stock without having a freakish 24.

if that's true I'm losing confidence in Heupel's coaching staff decisions... unless the issue has been completely with the players not doing/performing like they are asked and coached
I'm not saying that I think it is alllll on players but I think at least a good portion of it is. He have had very little talent on the back end of our defense. Banks has been afraid to play man with our guys and they don't play zone well. I'm hold out to see what we do with better talent going forward. Pretty short leash if it doesn't turn around though...

if that's true I'm losing confidence in Heupel's coaching staff decisions... unless the issue has been completely with the players not doing/performing like they are asked and coached
Look at the difference between Hadden and the others. He's on the same practice/game field as the others. He improved and was highly rated before his injury. He reflected well on his coaching. That's the mindscrew with Martinez. Can he only coach guys with above average talent? Can he develop marginal players into SEC corners? Lally may give us insight this year if he's around

Reactions: Gandalf
Not sure if anyone can “develop marginal players into SEC corners”. Seems like a position requiring a somewhat unique physical talent to be a high level SEC corner and we’ve been trying to get guys to play there who are probably more suited to safety.

Reactions: Jimmyandjoes
Not sure if anyone can “develop marginal players into SEC corners”. Seems like a position requiring a somewhat unique physical talent to be a high level SEC corner and we’ve been trying to get guys to play there who are probably more suited to safety.
How would you rate Hadden? Would you say he's been developed or his talent finally came through?

How would you rate Hadden? Would you say he's been developed or his talent finally came through?
I’m no self proclaimed football talent scout, but to me Hadden always appeared to have the physical attributes to be successful. He was too emotional and did too much jawing. Seems like he matured and developed his skills and increased his knowledge. JMO

I wish we had an insiders view on this DB exit. I know I get frustrated weekly watching our DB's consistently not looking for the ball and the opponents receivers catch a ball and take several steps before being hit or tackled. I don't know if its coaching, players not doing what their coached, or combo. I'd really like to know. I just hope we improve next year

It’s pretty clear that is most likely one of three things or combination of things.

1) looking for more NIL money.
2) upcoming position coach changes.
3) encouraged to leave due to a change in personnel plan for next season.

The way I look at it is just like fans “go if you want to go or stay if you want to stay”

Be a VFL or don’t , it’s every individual’s decision to make.

Can't speak about the coaches, but it most likely happens in college athletics at all levels in all sports, at least for those on scholarship. My daughter just went through her player evaluation at the conclusion of her soccer season. There is probably a lot more to talk about in D1 Power 5, though ($).

I have to evaluate my employees and get evaluated every year. Can't imagine big time college football being much different than a job at this point.

It’s pretty clear that is most likely one of three things or combination of things.

1) looking for more NIL money.
2) upcoming position coach changes.
3) encouraged to leave due to a change in personnel plan for next season.

The way I look at it is just like fans “go if you want to go or stay if you want to stay”

Be a VFL or don’t , it’s every individual’s decision to make.
Yup, and don't forget about personal life events, i.e. parents get sick, baby on the way, or maybe just homesick. A lot of players want to transfer just to be closer to home after the "shine" wears off.

If they're still not doing/performing like they are asked, then that's on the coaches' inability to coach. It's year 3. There's a transfer portal. Results matter.

Reactions: Volbrando

VN Store

Back