Enjoy this Ride

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
You know how one person jumps in the shotgun seat, sits back, relaxes, and enjoys the ride? Trusts the driver to drive? While another fella is all up in the driver's ear, turn here, don't brake so hard, use your turn signal, and on and on?

Sometimes we can be like that second guy with our football team. With our coaches. Constantly assessing and critiquing them.

But here's the fact: Tennessee does not have to win games in the exact, play-by-play way WE think they ought to. They can, instead, do it the way the coaches think is best.

Sometimes I think the Game Day thread on here is the worst thing we could possibly do. Because it invites us to comment throughout the game. To be in "transmit" mode, rather than "receive." We notice a lot more, and learn a whole lot more, while in receive mode.

But this thread isn't about the Game Day threads. Instead, it's about each of us, and how well we can enjoy this wondrous ride we're on. It's about the suggestion that perhaps our coaches know what they're doing far better than we do, and that if we'd stop trying to tell them how we would've done it, we might learn something from how they did it. A little humility.

A few different media commentators have made comments to the effect that they "saw Josh Heupel mature this week." They think they saw him grow. Perhaps what they really saw was their own understanding of Josh Heupel grow. Maybe he knew how to use a defense all along, and this just happened to be the first time he needed to. The presumption by the media types that they knew something Josh was just now learning, that's probably actually 180 degrees backwards.

Anyway, I think this point goes beyond football, and can be really useful in life. For all of us. When you're not driving, let the driver drive. When you're not in charge, stop stepping on the heels of the person in the lead. Relax, enjoy, trust.

Because there's a whole heckuva lot more to enjoy as long as Josh Heupel & Co are leading our lads. To quote the man, the best is still out there in front of us.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
You know how one person jumps in the shotgun seat, sits back, relaxes, and enjoys the ride? Trusts the driver to drive? While another fella is all up in the driver's ear, turn here, don't brake so hard, use your turn signal, and on and on?

Sometimes we can be like that second guy with our football team. With our coaches. Constantly assessing and critiquing them.

But here's the fact: Tennessee does not have to win games in the exact, play-by-play way WE think they ought to. They can, instead, do it the way the coaches think is best.

Sometimes I think the Game Day thread on here is the worst thing we could possibly do. Because it invites us to comment throughout the game. To be in "transmit" mode, rather than "receive." We notice a lot more, and learn a whole lot more, while in receive mode.

But this thread isn't about the Game Day threads. Instead, it's about each of us, and how well we can enjoy this wondrous ride we're on. It's about the suggestion that perhaps our coaches know what they're doing far better than we do, and that if we'd stop trying to tell them how we would've done it, we might learn something from how they did it. A little humility.

A few different media commentators have made comments to the effect that they "saw Josh Heupel mature this week." They think they saw him grow. Perhaps what they really saw was their own understanding of Josh Heupel grow. Maybe he knew how to use a defense all along, and this just happened to be the first time he needed to. The presumption by the media types that they knew something Josh was just now learning, that's probably actually 180 degrees backwards.

Anyway, I think this point goes beyond football, and can be really useful in life. For all of us. When you're not driving, let the driver drive. When you're not in charge, stop stepping on the heels of the person in the lead. Relax, enjoy, trust.

Because there's a whole heckuva lot more to enjoy as long as Josh Heupel & Co are leading our lads. To quote the man, the best is still out there in front of us.

Go Vols!
Well said

Yea, go back and look at some of those games from our 1998 National Championship team…the Syracuse game almost killed Me. Thank goodness for that late Tee Martin scramble that set up our winning score. And Arkansas? An unforced turnover by their QB allowed us to drive down for the winning score.

Things weren’t as we wanted - we wanted to blow out those teams - but it all worked out perfectly!

Yea, go back and look at some of those games from our 1998 National Championship team…the Syracuse game almost killed Me. Thank goodness for that late Tee Martin scramble that set up our winning score. And Arkansas? An unforced turnover by their QB allowed us to drive down for the winning score.

Things weren’t as we wanted - we wanted to blow out those teams - but it all worked out perfectly!

Unforced? Au contraire mon frere...

Go back and watch that play a few times. For years I thought the same thing, and then I studied what actually happened on that play. Yes, Brandon Burlsworth's backpedal and getting into Stoerner was partially to blame but not completely. Billy Ratliff got off quickly at the snap and further pressed Burlsworth back into Stoerner. He was two and a half to three yards deep into the Ark backfield when he gets tripped. If you rewatch that play with that in mind you will see not only did Ratliff recover the ball he's also the reason Stoerner got tripped the way he did. If he thought the game was over and didn't do what he did, Stoerner probably doesn't get tripped by Burlsworth.

Go Vols!
I agree.
We wait so long and then argue all off-season to then criticize many results when the season starts.

We all need to learn to enjoy. Myself included

I’ve been trying to pull the poor BVS sufferers and the chronically over-optimistic fans back from the edge for a while.

This should be the fun part…we are coming out of the wilderness, and winning is new and exciting again. Just enjoy it…there may yet be setbacks as this program relearns how to be Champions. But the climb is the exciting part, as many of us around for the late 80’s and all of the 90’s know. Appreciate what we are experiencing.

And remember, nothing is forever. College football is cyclical for everybody…likely more so in the new age of NIL and TP.

Good points. If we keep winning I hope our fan base keeps it civil. Not saying we don't celebrate just don't become like the GA-TX bunch to the point of being annoying.

A little fun smack-talking, but not full on turd nuggets like most Texas fans act and a large number of GA fans act.

Reactions: OrangeBeachVol
The SEC has done everyone in the conference a major disservice by gifting Texas, and their fans, with a cakewalk schedule. It’s so egregiously easy that I can’t help but be a little conspiratorial. I think the only easier schedule is Missouri’s.

Those Horns fans are more insufferable the Missouri fans however, and that’s saying a lot.

Go back and watch that play a few times. For years I thought the same thing, and then I studied what actually happened on that play. Yes, Brandon Burlsworth's backpedal and getting into Stoerner was partially to blame but not completely. Billy Ratliff got off quickly at the snap and further pressed Burlsworth back into Stoerner. He was two and a half to three yards deep into the Ark backfield when he gets tripped. If you rewatch that play with that in mind you will see not only did Ratliff recover the ball he's also the reason Stoerner got tripped the way he did. If he thought the game was over and didn't do what he did, Stoerner probably doesn't get tripped by Burlsworth.

I heard somewhere that Ratliff said as they ran out onto the field that he was going to get the ball back.

anyone know what the early line is for the Ark game?

I'm guessing something like Vols giving 9 or so? I'm sure it'll change next week based on what Ark does this week

He was also looking for a #27 linebacker too
I'm sure that had a lot to do with it as well

Humbled ? I haven't forgot we were up on Bama 20-7 at half time last year and didn't score another point. Win or lose, I will still love my Vols, but I don't get too high or too low

Pay attention, grasshoppers. This is exactly what happened. We WON that game because Billy Ratliff created that turnover…sheer effort and refuse-to-lose willpower.

Reactions: jeff1vol

VN Store

Back