Epoch Times, conservative news darling and gadfly to communists and liberals is toast. Feds indict CFO for money laundering.

Gandalf

The Orange/White Wizard
Looks like they got their man. Granted, I don't believe a single thing that comes out of a prosecutor's office these days and Epoch Times (ET) is not named in the indictment but it wont matter. This is all they will need to destroy the news service, which I am sure is the main goal. That probably also goes for the much hated by liberals NTD (New Tang Dynasty) News, also owned by ET.

Epoch Times CFO is arrested and accused of role in $67M multinational money laundering scheme

While it is difficult to tell what really is happening, it may be that the foreign office of ET (likely in Taiwan or HK) was buying pre-paid debit cards with crypto (at 20-30% discount) and then depositing that as income and/or donations. Many of these debit cards seem to have been part of all the massive unemployment benefits that Biden disgorged during Covid. I suspect this was not ET but some group in the USA who was running Chinese immigrants and helped organize it and then basically asked ET if they wanted to buy the debit cards for crypto to wash the money. At least I think that is what is being alleged. Reality is it could have been they didnt know exactly where the cards came from, only that they could buy them at a discount. Hard to tell at this point.

Interestingly, it looks as if this was part of a (Diplomatic Security Services) DSS sting of some sort that "uncovered" a "whistleblower".

BTW- same group owns the traveling dance group Shen Yun - which comes to various cities and is really pretty amazing. See it while you can.

Gotta give the dems their due. When they have the levers of power, they do not mess around. I wish the GOP would learn that.

Reactions: StarRaider
Facts mean nothing. It's all partisan prosecution.

This theory of yours that this case is outside the normal course of justice is a theory without any facts to back it up. Our government and country are more or less rational. Promting divisive theories like this without any evidence to back them makes you part of the problem, not the solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: dalton_vol
Looks like they got their man. Granted, I don't believe a single thing that comes out of a prosecutor's office these days and Epoch Times (ET) is not named in the indictment but it wont matter. This is all they will need to destroy the news service, which I am sure is the main goal. That probably also goes for the much hated by liberals NTD (New Tang Dynasty) News, also owned by ET.

Epoch Times CFO is arrested and accused of role in $67M multinational money laundering scheme

While it is difficult to tell what really is happening, it may be that the foreign office of ET (likely in Taiwan or HK) was buying pre-paid debit cards with crypto (at 20-30% discount) and then depositing that as income and/or donations. Many of these debit cards seem to have been part of all the massive unemployment benefits that Biden disgorged during Covid. I suspect this was not ET but some group in the USA who was running Chinese immigrants and helped organize it and then basically asked ET if they wanted to buy the debit cards for crypto to wash the money. At least I think that is what is being alleged. Reality is it could have been they didnt know exactly where the cards came from, only that they could buy them at a discount. Hard to tell at this point.

Interestingly, it looks as if this was part of a (Diplomatic Security Services) DSS sting of some sort that "uncovered" a "whistleblower".

BTW- same group owns the traveling dance group Shen Yun - which comes to various cities and is really pretty amazing. See it while you can.

Gotta give the dems their due. When they have the levers of power, they do not mess around. I wish the GOP would learn that.

Gotta love conspiracy theories based on events that haven't even happened yet.

Uh……by definition, a conspiracy REQUIRES events that haven’t happened yet. That is why they plan the conspiracy.

Somewhere someone is conspiring. [pats self on back]

Will you eat crow when they don't shut down the ET?

Somewhere someone is conspiring. [pats self on back]

Will you eat crow when they don't shut down the ET?
Not my claim about the ET. I have no dog in this hunt beyond pointing out that conspiracies involve future events. I have not placed an order for this particular crow. I have not investigated the claims at all

Not my claim about the ET. I have no dog in this hunt beyond pointing out that conspiracies involve future events. I have not placed an order for this particular crow. I have not investigated the claims at all

Of course. JFC.

Conspiracies are planned, yes, but I specifically said "conspiracy theories" not conspiracies.

The point is that he built a conspiracy theory on the flimsiest of facts. The likely explanation is that the CFO did some **** and he will be punished. If they use this to shut down ET and it's ********, then you can reasonably say it was a conspiracy. He said he was "sure."

It is absolutely wild to think conspiracy is more likely than a criminal exists at ET.

It is absolutely wild to think conspiracy is more likely than a criminal exists at ET.
Or of course, BOTH could be true. A criminal could exist at ET and that fact be used in a conspiracy to totally silence the outlet. Not saying that is the case; just pointing out that the two are not mutually exclusive

I don't think I have ever heard of Epoch Times before. not sure how they are darlings for anything.

Reactions: KptVFL
Or of course, BOTH could be true. A criminal could exist at ET and that fact be used in a conspiracy to totally silence the outlet. Not saying that is the case; just pointing out that the two are not mutually exclusive

If you are saying that you accept the probable likelihood of a criminal existing at ET, then you admit that you don't think this is evidence of a conspiracy. You just think the conspiracy exists based on nothing.

They'll find a new CFO. Not sure how this would prevent the Epoch Times from doing their thing.

Because this is most likely simply the first shoe to drop. If the feds can prove that the CFO used ET money to buy debit cards and then the money from those cards are received by the ET org as donations, ET is the primary head on the chopping block. They just say that there was nothing wrong with their news service to cover what they are about to do - which is either criminally charge the organization and other executive leadership and/or at BEST go through all their financials, looking for who donated to them and then giving them a huge civil fine and disgorgement of bad profits" to the tune of $10s of millions of dollars, essentially, enough to bankrupt the org at best.

See this for what it is, the first shot across the bow. Consider what they did with almost nothing to the Trump org and its financial controller. Once they had him personally, then they went after the Trump org and fined it $500m. This is claiming a real (or at least more understandable) crime by ET's CFO, money laundering, using ET resources and saying it is the primary reason for their profits in the previous year. Do you think that is an accident and that the same NYC dems who just framed Trump will let this pass? And who knows, maybe the CFO actually committed a crime?

Bottom line is they will use this to destroy ET and NTD because they dont like their reporting - which I myself find far out there sometimes but it one of the few media outlets of size outside the mainstream will tackle politically sensitive issues.

They still have to prove it in court. Everybody is so awash about charging political influencers/leaders as criminals. The only problem is that enough of them haven't been charged. You are a political leader scared of being charged for criminal activity? Stop breaking the law.

They still have to prove it in court. Everybody is so awash about charging political influencers/leaders as criminals. The only problem is that enough of them haven't been charged. You are a political leader scared of being charged for criminal activity? Stop breaking the law.

Of course they do - and I am not saying that this guy did not commit a crime. I have no idea as this just came out and there is not much to really see yet. If he did ETs systems to engage in money laundering of $60+ million, then he deserves what is coming to him. I dont trust feds that it was the case just because they charged it though. Yet, do you know the conviction rate of those who have been charged with a federal crime? Innocence is beside the point.

Whether he did or not, I just think this will be the camel's nose in the tent that allows the Feds to shut down ET and subsidiaries, unless they can be spun off (likely) from the main org.

And Im sure its just a coincidence that this will allow the Feds to examine ET's donor lists with a fine tooth comb and essentially has a heavy cloud or perhaps even leads to shut down of one of the loudest Trump supporting news orgs in an election year. Also, no doubt a coincidence that they seem to have had a mole in the organization or someone who became a "whistleblower". Because otherwise I wonder how they just happened to be looking into this.

22c5d056-e97d-4421-b282-c86c74361ee0_text.gif

Of course they do - and I am not saying that this guy did not commit a crime. I have no idea as this just came out and there is not much to really see yet. If he did ETs systems to engage in money laundering of $60+ million, then he deserves what is coming to him. I dont trust feds that it was the case just because they charged it though. Yet, do you know the conviction rate of those who have been charged with a federal crime? Innocence is beside the point.

Whether he did or not, I just think this will be the camel's nose in the tent that allows the Feds to shut down ET and subsidiaries, unless they can be spun off (likely) from the main org.

And Im sure its just a coincidence that this will allow the Feds to examine ET's donor lists with a fine tooth comb and essentially has a heavy cloud or perhaps even leads to shut down of one of the loudest Trump supporting news orgs in an election year. Also, no doubt a coincidence that they seem to have had a mole in the organization or someone who became a "whistleblower". Because otherwise I wonder how they just happened to be looking into this.

22c5d056-e97d-4421-b282-c86c74361ee0_text.gif
So we should ignore crime when it comes to politics?

Gotta love conspiracy theories based on events that haven't even happened yet.

Please see the dates on the Trump indictment thread I posted, when I called it out long before it happened. Sure, I could be wrong and this is just limited to this one guy - but sadly, I think time will prove out here.

I wonder if them being Falun Gong factors in to what happened.

Eh, I dont think so. Makes them hate the CCP Chinese, allied with the Taiwanese. They really have had an odd journey from basically being set up to get the story out about CCP murdering Falung gong people to more right wing support today. They were front and center though for the Covid battle as they were saying it was China lab leak long before anyone and had deep sources.

I dated a woman in NYC back around the time they were established and remember them and other Chinese focused newspapers.I mean I ran Chinese American candidates, these were my political stomping grounds - they were really morel like local papers for the chinese american population back then. It was a surprise to me when they really started backing Trump in his first term. Maybe they decided that Hillary was pro mainland and maybe Trump was pro Taiwan.

Reactions: EasternVol
Please see the dates on the Trump indictment thread I posted, when I called it out long before it happened. Sure, I could be wrong and this is just limited to this one guy - but sadly, I think time will prove out here.
What do you think you predicted with Trump? That they would come after him for the Stormi Daniels thing that everybody knew about? What's the conspiracy?

What do you think you predicted with Trump? That they would come after him for the Stormi Daniels thing that everybody knew about? What's the conspiracy?

That was well before the first indictment. My prediction was simply that Dems had already violated so many norms that they would have to indict Trump, and that in turn will lead to must convict Trump. They aka you will stop at nothing to ensure Trump is not elected. There is no norm, no law, no precedent that is not worth trampling under foot to "save democracy" by rigging the election by whatever means necessary for Trump not to win.

That was well before the first indictment. My prediction was simply that Dems had already violated so many norms that they would have to indict Trump, and that in turn will lead to must convict Trump. They aka you will stop at nothing to ensure Trump is not elected. There is no norm, no law, no precedent that is not worth trampling under foot to "save democracy" by rigging the election by whatever means necessary for Trump not to win.

what in the hell

VN Store

Back