ESPN Chat - Butch and Coaches working 80-90 hrs a week

apsuhead

Butch and his staff are working their butts off, GBO!

Josh (Chattanooga, TN) - I'm curious, how many hours a week would you say you are working??

Butch Jones - "Myself and our coaches probably in a week put in between 80-90 hours. You have to love what you do and we have passion for our profession and for being at Tennessee. Especially when the season starts and the weeks prior to the beginning and start up of camp, there is no down time. Now, with the acceleration of recruiting, down time has been minimal."

Chat

Reactions: 3 people
Hey everyone, we're will be getting started on our Day 2 of SEC coaches chats at 11 a.m. ET. First up is Tennessee's Butch Jones!

What specifically about the offense do you feel Tennessee needs to do differently from years past to be successful this season?

Butch Jones - For us, the formula for winning never changes. First and foremost, we must take care of the football. Secondly, we have to execute in the redzone and score TDs as opposed to kicking field goals. The third thing is we have to establish the run. Fourth, we have to continue to define who our playmakers will be this year. We need explosive plays.

Will you be wearing "the orange pants" during football games?

Butch Jones - Still in the evaluation process. That could be a very good possibility.

How is your family liking beautiful East Tennessee and being a short drive away from the most visited national park in the U.S.? The Vol Nation welcomes a winner!

Butch Jones - The transition has been seamless. The people have been very welcoming. My family loves it. We feel as though we've been a part of the Tennessee community for many years.

Hey Coach,Talk to me about DB depth this year we seem to have 3 solid safeties how do you plan on using them? And at CB who would you like to step up at the nickle position with Eric Gordon no longer being with the team? Thanks and Go Vols

Butch Jones - Everything is about competition. We do have competition at the safety position. The concern about the backend of our defense will be at the CB position. Justin has been extremely consistent, but it's finding depth and a backup for him as well as a starter for him on the other side.

Coach Jones, what was your impression when you seen the football facilities for the 1st time?

Butch Jones - My impression was like most visitors for the first time, extrememly impressed and very wow'ed.

How open is the QB Battle this fall in reality? It seemed like you favored Justin Worley a little bit by putting him with First team more in spring practice.

Butch Jones - Still very open, just like every position on our football team heading into training camp. We did feel that Justin had a slight edge ending spring football, so I'm very excited to see the prgress that Justin, Nate and the two true freshmen have made over the course of the summer.

Hi Coach, are linemen a priority in filling out this year's class?

Butch Jones - A major priority. The SEC is a line of scrimmage league. Especially in our defensive front, recruiting is paramount to the long term success to Tennessee football.

Coach Jones,In all my years of following college football recruiting I have never seen such strong prospect to prospect peer recruiting as your 2014 class has done to date. Is that something that you and your staff have pushed for or was it something that the commits really took up on their own?

Butch Jones - A lot of it is they have created it on their own. With the different camps that they've participated in, they have started to grow bonds and friendships. Also the numerous unofficial visits have promoted that as well.

Coach, welcome to the TN family..how will you handle the loss of so many skill players on offense.

Butch Jones - We do lose a lot of production. It is what it is. It will be a great opportunity for others to step up. The WR position is a position in which you may see a number of true freshmen playing based on their development through training camp.

What is the number one thing you want to accomplish this year

Butch Jones - First and foremost, is our standard and our expectations. Our players understanding what it takes to play winning football. Their overall pride in their performance and laying the foundation for many years to come. Obviously, we want to win immediately and expect to win immediately, but for us, from Day 1, everything has been process oriented. Focusing on the process one day at a time.

Coach Jones, what does the term "rebuilding a program" mean to you?

Butch Jones - You return a program back to its past success by making sure your standards and expectations by which you will run your program are clearly defined and articulated and never waiver. Everything is about personal development and making sure everyone is aco****able. Everyone must be accountable for improving individually. If we improve individually, we improve as a team.

Do you have a specific starting RB set or will Neal and Lane be splitting the carries until one proves he can provide more in your offense.

Butch Jones - We do have a plan going into training camp, but then everything will be how they perform in camp and earning trust in their coaches and teammates. It should be a good competitive battle. Over the course of a long season, you obviously need more than one RB. We must continue to define what each of those two do well and put them in positions to succeed.

Coach Jones, So how long did it take you to learn the words to Rocky Top?

Butch Jones -Day 1.
Pride of who we are.
LOL
When I came to the Stadium, while at Cincinnati, I couldn't help but learn Rocky Top at that point in time.

Coach Jones, after making the switch to the 3-4 a year ago, how well is our defense adjusting back to a 4-3 scheme?

Butch Jones -They have adjusted well. The 4-3 fits our personnel right now. The players have done a great job of embracing it. The big thing for us is to be extremely sound, very disciplined and every person having complete understanding and knowledge of our system.

I appreciate all of the energy you have brought to Knoxville. How is the kicking game going to look this year? Palardy handled both punting and PK duties last year, would you be opposed to doing the same with him this year?

Butch Jones -The kicking game will be critical to our success and playing great defense. Everything is about field position. It's also about every player being aco****able and knowing their role. That's what special teams is all about. We still have some questions going into camp. The big thing is expecting and demanding a high level of consistency from our kickers and punters, i.e. ball placement and the small details that go into the kicking game.

Morning Coach! What's your favorite thing about Fall Camp?

Butch Jones - It's building your identity for this team. Seeing the individuals come in and see all of the hard work that they've put forth in the summer. Improving daily and the building overall of a team.

I'm curious, how many hours a week would you say you are working??

Butch Jones - Myself and our coaches probably in a week put in between 80-90 hours. You have to love what you do and we have passion for our profession and for being at Tennessee. Especially when the season starts and the weeks prior to the beginning and start up of camp, there is no down time. Now, with the acceleration of recruiting, down time has been minimal.

I appreciate everyone for their support. Looking forward to the start of the season. And we're looking forward to beginning this process of making everyone proud to be a Tennessee Vol.

Reactions: 13 people

Josh (Chattanooga, TN) - I'm curious, how many hours a week would you say you are working??

Butch Jones - "Myself and our coaches probably in a week put in between 80-90 hours. You have to love what you do and we have passion for our profession and for being at Tennessee. Especially when the season starts and the weeks prior to the beginning and start up of camp, there is no down time. Now, with the acceleration of recruiting, down time has been minimal."

Chat

That's more than dooly's tenure...go butch !

I like to hear he is working hard, but I hope he is still taking time to be a father and husband too. Have to have some kind of balance.

Reactions: 1 person
You won't find a HC at a top tier program that is putting in less than 80 hours/week. Fulmer, Kiffin, and Dooley all did the same..The question is, how productive are those hours!

I love these guys commitment to the university but fear while hoping they don't burn themselves out. Or get heart attacks. I know one thing. If they bring Tennessee all the way back, we may well have to sell prime Great Smokey Mountains real estate to China to raise the money to keep them at the UT.

I do seem to remember Dooley saying something about his coaches needed down time to be with their families. I can't imagine Nick Saban sitting in a meeting room and telling his coaches. You guys have done enough this week why don't you knock off early today and go catch a movie with the misses.

I like to hear he is working hard, but I hope he is still taking time to be a father and husband too. Have to have some kind of balance.

This is one way to combine being a father and coach. He took his son Alex with him to ESPN today ...
9079561.jpeg

Also, it's not like these coaches have to be in the office all day long. As long as they have their smart phone, they can recruit from anywhere, including home.

Reactions: 7 people
Geez, I thought I worked a lot. But I guess when you love what you do that much and its obvious that coaching at UT has its obvious perks, then even 80 hours can fly by.

Will you be wearing "the orange pants" during football games?

Butch Jones - Still in the evaluation process. That could be a very good possibility.

Too soon. Need to wait another twenty years, at least.

Geez, I thought I worked a lot. But I guess when you love what you do that much and its obvious that coaching at UT has its obvious perks, then even 80 hours can fly by.

If I were single and working there I would never go home. Big office with private bath and shower, couch, TV, cafeteria with food on demand, a gym and pool at my disposal.

No need to ever leave.

I just love this guy. I just continue to feel like a total moron for not being happy when he was hired.

I love these guys commitment to the university but fear while hoping they don't burn themselves out. Or get heart attacks. I know one thing. If they bring Tennessee all the way back, we may well have to sell prime Great Smokey Mountains real estate to China to raise the money to keep them at the UT.

You do realize this is par for the course? There are 120 other D1 head coaches working 80 hours a week, right?

You do realize this is par for the course? There are 120 other D1 head coaches working 80 hours a week, right?

No, I didn't realize that. Doesn't negate my hope that our guys don't burn themselves out. :hi:

Chat

outside of Dooley, that is normal for football coaches. Dooley demanded that of staff but didn't do himself. 80-90 is normal workload for college football coaches.

VN Store

Back