ESPN ranks the top 10 offensive linemen.

We got the best OL in the country, we should be able to just line up and run right over them, we are that good keep the defence on the sideline and who knows might pull out 8 wins, i would like to say 9 but i wont, but count the bowl win and we could win 9, would be a hell of a start.

Gonna have to count on them this year to protect the QB, whoever it is and to open the holes for the backs. Good running game will make the QB play better!

Reactions: 1 person
Gonna have to count on them this year to protect the QB, whoever it is and to open the holes for the backs. Good running game will make the QB play better!

This works the other way as well. Bad running game, bad QB play.

If I were coaching against our Offense I would put 8 in the box and make them beat me throwing the ball. I love the VOLS but we have no idea if we are going to be one dimensional at this point or not. Neither does any other coach but they will treat us as if we are. I believe we will be especially early in the season. New WR's, New QB, New System...Everything points to it.
However, I believe in our young men and the coaching staff. I think we will surprise some people.

This season will be made on the other side of the ball that no one is talking about. Defense can make the most dramatic improvement from last year. More skill players, Comfortable scheme, Nowhere to go but up. I think many games will come down to our defense shutting people down and allowing our offense to get work / experience. I don't believe that there will be a lot of points scored this year either side. Lots of close W/L games. I hope that CBJ puts on the plus side of that for a change.

It is so painful to realize that this is JULY and Football season is not here yet!!

:twocents:

Reactions: 2 people
This works the other way as well. Bad running game, bad QB play.

If I were coaching against our Offense I would put 8 in the box and make them beat me throwing the ball. I love the VOLS but we have no idea if we are going to be one dimensional at this point or not. Neither does any other coach but they will treat us as if we are. I believe we will be especially early in the season. New WR's, New QB, New System...Everything points to it.
However, I believe in our young men and the coaching staff. I think we will surprise some people.

This season will be made on the other side of the ball that no one is talking about. Defense can make the most dramatic improvement from last year. More skill players, Comfortable scheme, Nowhere to go but up. I think many games will come down to our defense shutting people down and allowing our offense to get work / experience. I don't believe that there will be a lot of points scored this year either side. Lots of close W/L games. I hope that CBJ puts on the plus side of that for a change.

It is so painful to realize that this is JULY and Football season is not here yet!!

:twocents:

You would put 8 in the box and play man each down?

Sal.....is that you?

Reactions: 2 people
We got the best OL in the country, we should be able to just line up and run right over them, we are that good keep the defence on the sideline and who knows might pull out 8 wins, i would like to say 9 but i wont, but count the bowl win and we could win 9, would be a hell of a start.

Not good enough at RB, QB, and WR right now to do that.

They will likely be the unsung heroes of whatever season can be mustered with sub par QB play and no true stronghold of RBs. Few people national will realize how good they are.

You would put 8 in the box and play man each down?

Sal.....is that you?

No. Putting 8 in the box does not always mean you play man coverage. Obviously, you would not play heavy run when down and distance does not dictate. Most of the teams that we play stem from something anyway.

Let me put this to you in simpler terms.

I would make us throw the ball.

....If this was Sal I would run the "exactly" defense. We line up exactly like they do and run exactly what they run. If they are a two tight end set with a full backfield that is what the defense will line up in. If they run a blast off of their right tackle. We will run a blast off of our left tackle. It will be an explosion of bodies.

Sincerely,
Sal

Last edited:
Spread offense means you can not put 8 in the box. Period.

means you should not. Doesn't mean that people will not. We have to prove that we can throw it around and execute first.

Do not zero in on one point / phrase of my post. I will simplify what I was trying to say.

I would take away the run and make us throw the ball to win if I were coaching a defense against us.

Reactions: 1 person
Point taken. And I truly didn't intend to dissect your statement. I guess "the box" can be stretched a little in discussing defense of the spread. And that is where our coaches will either gain or yield an advantage in this offense..... Slot defenders will either come out of the traditional box, or our inexperienced quarterbacks will enjoy easy reads. I believe our line will be stout enough, and our play calling sound enough, so that we will have an advantage against most zone defenses. If our WR's can't beat man coverage, however, we may not be see much zone against our highly touted hogs.

Point taken. And I truly didn't intend to dissect your statement. I guess "the box" can be stretched a little in discussing defense of the spread. And that is where our coaches will either gain or yield an advantage in this offense..... Slot defenders will either come out of the traditional box, or our inexperienced quarterbacks will enjoy easy reads. I believe our line will be stout enough, and our play calling sound enough, so that we will have an advantage against most zone defenses. If our WR's can't beat man coverage, however, we may not be see much zone against our highly touted hogs.

Agreed, and no worries here.
It is going to be interesting to see how we execute early in the season compared to later in the season. I think we have a lot of good football to look forward to. I for one will be very interested to see the wrinkles that we put in to handle the defensive strategies against us.

Agreed. Got the opportunity to attend the coaches'clinic this year, and there are some great minds on this staff.

Agreed. Got the opportunity to attend the coaches'clinic this year, and there are some great minds on this staff.

That sounds like it was awesome. I like to be around great football minds. I always enjoy learning how they see things.

3 out of the Top 10 in the SEC is a nice accolade for preseason. If this holds up come Early December, then that will mean that the coaching staff used the talents of these three athletes appropriately. It's nice to look good on paper but I'd rather see us look good on sod.

3 out of the Top 10 in the SEC is a nice Iaccolade for preseason. If this holds up come Early December, then that will mean that the coaching staff used the talents of these three athletes appropriately. It's nice to look good on paper but I'd rather see us look good on sod.
Agree 100%!!

VN Store

Back