Favorite All-Time Vols

GenNeyland9

Keeper of The Game Maxims
Who are everyone's favorite all-time Volunteers? Forgive my youth, as my version of this list will be made up of players from the 1980's to present . . .

Impossible to rank them, so here's an unranked list:

- Craig Faulkner, WR 1991-1994: Scrappy and undersized "possession" receiver that was fearless over the middle, and had tremendous hands

- Bill Duff, DT 1992-1995: Tough as nails run-stopper with a fiery personality and big play potential, famous for stuffing Heisman winner Eddie George in the 1996 Citrus Bowl

- Travis Stephens, RB 1997-2001: Small tailback with enough heart to fill up a uniform three times his size, hometown boy from Clarksville that could bench press 400 plus lbs. even though he weighed about 190, ran over Florida in the Swamp for numbers that no one this side of Herschel Walker has accomplished

- Jeff Jall, K 1995-1998: All he did was make big kicks, starting with a game winner at Georgia his freshman year, concluding with game winners at Syracuse and against Florida in 1998

- Al Wilson, LB 1995-1998: As a youngster, touted by boxing coaches as a future heavyweight champion, this hulking LB was a great leader and a tremendous athlete to boot; he called out Peyton Manning and Leonard Little at halftime of the 1997 SEC Championship game comeback against Auburn, then played through pain almost all of the NC season

- Andy Kelly, QB 1988-1991: Underrated QB that led UT's official return to college football's elite

- Dale Jones: no explanation needed

- Raynoch Thompson, LB 1997-1999: Super fast OLB that always seemed to get to the ball, personal favorite because he signed my hat as a younger man after the 1998 Vandy game in Nashville

- Chris White, DB 1982-1985: Another hero of the magical 1985 season, came out of nowhere to lead nation in INT's, had big pick of Testaverde in 1986 Sugar Bowl

- Peyton Manning: Again, no explanation needed

I could go on and on and on, but I want to hear who some of your all-time favorites are.

you stole some of mine but here are a few more:

JJ McKleski: lots of heart seemed to play beyond his abilities and come up with a big play just when we needed one

Shaun Bryson : best player on the team his Sr yr IMO , could do it all smash block a LB to clear the way, carry it himself and either run over or outrun you, and catch it out of the backfield to pick up a 1st

Jason Whitten: without him Clausen would not be the second all time pass leader, had and still has majic hands, and was always right where he needed to be whether that was blocking or running routes

those are just a few off the top of my head

Great list.

I'd also add Kelley Washington and James Banks. Not.

I remember when I was like 9 years old and thought that Fuad Reveiz had to be the greatest kicker ever. Then I realized that it was because our offense sucked and we had to settle for FGs all the time.

Bill Bates: Didnt stand out at UT, But played hard, Hit hard, Got hit hard. Just a Tough guy!
Later to go onto redefine special team players in the NFL.

I also used to love watching Willie Gault return kickoffs . . . that guy could flat out burn.

Chris Lofton
Ron Slay
Dale Ellis
Dyron Nix
Steve Hamer
Fred Jenkins
Rob Jones

Manning
Gault
Mahelona

Leonard Little and John Henderson were players I always enjoyed watching. They had their own problems. I also liked Johnny Jones, Dale Jones. Robinson and Dickey. I am trying to forget the fumble against Maryland.

There are many more that have already been mentioned (White and Wilson)

VN Store

Back