Favorite quote

My brother and I are tentatively planning a fishing trip to Oregon. Would you be a decent resource for information?
I'll certainly see how I can help you. If I don't have the answers, I may be able to head you to the right person. When as in what time of year and what do you want to fish for? Are you flyfishermen?

I'll certainly see how I can help you. If I don't have the answers, I may be able to head you to the right person. When as in what time of year and what do you want to fish for? Are you flyfishermen?
It’s possible that I know how to row a drift boat IMG_8870.jpeg

It’s possible that I know how to row a drift boat View attachment 604250

You look comfortable on the oars, I rowed a self bailing 14 foot raft for about 30 years. Did most of my flyfishing from my raft. Question, what do you want to fish for? native trout? stealhead? sturgeon? I've mostly fished the McKenzie, North Umpqua and a little on the Rogue, Deshutes, Klamath, Willamette and some others people don't know very well. I'm not saying I'm some great fisherman, just love to put a fly on the water.

What time of year are you thinking about?

I've actually, taken my flyrod to a Duck game with me. After the game while everyone was sitting in line to get out of the parking lot we went down to the river and fished for about an hour till all the traffic was gone. For me that was heaven.

this is an addition: should add the Minam in NE Oregon, some great fish in that river. Also the Williamson near Klamath Falls beautiful fish gorgeous river, however if you wade, be careful you can be in 18" of water take a step and be in 10 feet of water.

Also, not in Oregon, if you're up for a guided the Salmon River in Idaho is a great 5 day trip. You will be out of touch with civilization for 5 days as their isn't any cell service and parts of the canyon are very deep.

Last edited:
You look comfortable on the oars, I rowed a self bailing 14 foot raft for about 30 years. Did most of my flyfishing from my raft. Question, what do you want to fish for? native trout? stealhead? sturgeon? I've mostly fished the McKenzie, North Umpqua and a little on the Rogue, Deshutes, Klamath, Willamette and some others people don't know very well. I'm not saying I'm some great fisherman, just love to put a fly on the water.

I've actually, taken my flyrod to a Duck game with me. After the game while everyone was sitting in line to get out of the parking lot we went down to the river and fished for about an hour till all the traffic was gone. For me that was heaven.
I bet ppl in the stadium thought you was plum crazy carryin a flyrod at a fb game

Reactions: Orangeslice13
I bet ppl in the stadium thought you was plum crazy carryin a flyrod at a fb game
I left it in the car. :) But I'd bet a lot of them were wondering why they hadn't thought of that as they saw us heading for the river with our rods.

Last edited:
It’s possible that I know how to row a drift boat View attachment 604250
One thing to note about most Oregon rivers, they tend to have one or two "tough" spots, whether it's boxcar on the Deschutes, pin ball on the N Umpqua, Blossom Bar on the Rogue, or Brown's hole on the McKenzie, it's important to know what you are getting into.

Then of course, if you "discover" Wall Creek, check the regs as they close it occasionally simply because of the number of rattlesnakes. I don't have personal knowledge on this creek, but I've been told fishing is good simply because people stay away from the rattlers.

this is an addition: should add the Minam in NW Oregon, some great fish in that river. Also the Williamson near Klamath Falls beautiful fish gorgeous river, however if you wade, be careful you can be in 18" of water take a step and be in 10 feet of water.

Also, not in Oregon, if you're up for a guided the Salmon River in Idaho is a great 5 day trip. You will be out of touch with civilization for 5 days as their isn't any cell service and parts of the canyon are very deep.
I would do that every game if the red woman would let me.

I have fishing kayaks too and fish out of them as much as the drift boat. Honestly we will probably end up with a guide but that’s also an area where we could use help.

Steele head will be a target as well as any native trout but right now we’re in the early stages of planning so we’re wife open on timing and not set on anything. We will most likely make that decision on what the best time of the year for fishing is.

You might appreciate this. TWRA has started taking distance photos of boats to check registration before they come over and check the boat. Not long ago I saw them on the water and I had my jacket on and no motor (no registration required if you’re not under power ) so I let them know. A little later I get this picture from a buddy who works there. Apparently it was a conversation if they could write me up for this

“That’s life. That’s football.”

I uttered this for the first time 5 decades ago. It’s come full circle, with someone who doesn’t know me quoting me to me.

“Ignorance is the soil, fear the seed, prejudice the vine, hatred the flower, and violence the fruit.”

You’re welcome to quote me without accreditation.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
I would do that every game if the red woman would let me.

I have fishing kayaks too and fish out of them as much as the drift boat. Honestly we will probably end up with a guide but that’s also an area where we could use help.

Steele head will be a target as well as any native trout but right now we’re in the early stages of planning so we’re wife open on timing and not set on anything. We will most likely make that decision on what the best time of the year for fishing is.

You might appreciate this. TWRA has started taking distance photos of boats to check registration before they come over and check the boat. Not long ago I saw them on the water and I had my jacket on and no motor (no registration required if you’re not under power ) so I let them know. A little later I get this picture from a buddy who works there. Apparently it was a conversation if they could write me up for this

A guide is a very good way to go, Caddis Fly Shop in Eugene is an excellent resource. My wife and I started going there when Bob Guard owned the shop, he had a kid working there named Chris who is the current owner. Check out the website caddisflyshop.com They should be a very good resource for your needs. Whether it's the North Umpqua or Rogue

If you end up doing the North Umpqua check out Steamboat Inn as a place to stay. One caution about the North Umpqua, if you are on shore, I hope you can identify poison oak as it can ruin a vacation.

"Sign language" can certainly frustrate government officials .... LOL

Anyone can achieve their fullest potential, who we are might be predetermined, but the path we follow is always of our own choosing. We should never allow our fears or the expectations of others to set the frontiers of our destiny. Your destiny can't be changed but, it can be challenged. Every man is born as many men and dies as a single one.

Attributed to Tim McGee from NCIS.

VN Store

Back