favorite thing at a Vols game

21VOL

Thought it would be cool to hear some Vols fans game experience..

There is nothing like THE VOLWALK, or the band coming down the street playing ROCKY TOP..

But I think the band forming the T and the team running out has to be my favorite thing at the game..

Attachments

• crowd01_640.jpg
    crowd01_640.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 0
but no game experince is complete without 3 hot dogs

Attachments

• crowd01_640.jpg
    crowd01_640.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1
My dad has always been a Vol fan but quit going to the games a long time ago.
After asking for years I finally got him to go with me this year.
He went to the Florida game with me and we had a great time.
The rollercoaster of emotion and the fiftyone yard fieldgoal for the win with six
seconds left. He then decided to go to every home game with me.

my favorite thing is after a huge emotional victory.... walking down the ramps.... and thousands of Vols fans singing, "it's great to be a Tennessee Vol..."

so many to choose from:

vol navy
vol walk but my favorite has to be the running through the T. thinking of it gives me chills to this day no matter how many times ive seen it.

Texas now does the running through the T too and it isnt anything like seeing it in Knoxville.

Originally posted by VOL_AHOLIC@Dec 16, 2004 11:49 AM
Texas now does the running through the T too and it isnt anything like seeing it in Knoxville.

copycats :bash:

Id say running through the T. Hell I got chills just typing that LOL.

#2 would have to be BEATING THAT DANG SPURRIER IN HIS LAST GAME IN GAINSVILLE!!!!!!!! WOOHOO :rocks:

GO VOLS

There are lots of things that are good at Neyland Stadium:

(1) seeing the Vols run through the T.
(2) The Tennessee Walker strutting along the sideline
(3) Hearing and singing "Rocky Top" after a TD or a FG. :thumbsup:
(4) Beating the "visor throwing coach."
(5) hearing John Ward call the games and saying "Give him six, touchdown Tennessee!" Or "It's football time in Tennessee!"
(6) just being at the game and seeing our Vols play and win! :thumbsup:

GO VOLS!!!!!!!

5) hearing John Ward call the games and saying "Give him six, touchdown Tennessee!" Or "It's football time in Tennessee!"

Wow, I miss that. I miss sitting in the living room floor on Saturdays listening to the games on the radio. We didn't have cable at my grandmothers house so unless JP had the game(even then John was going in the background) I was listening to Mr. Ward call the games. That man could really bring some excitement to a game.

He almost killed me once. I was working during the UT/UF game in '98. I got in the car and turned the radio over to my Vols station and he was talking about the win. I almost lost control of my car.

Sorry didn't mean to make this a John Ward thread. :D

Originally posted by TennFan@Dec 16, 2004 1:57 PM
There are lots of things that are good at Neyland Stadium:

(1) seeing the Vols run through the T.
(2) The Tennessee Walker strutting along the sideline
(3) Hearing and singing  "Rocky Top" after a TD or a FG. :thumbsup:
(4) Beating the "visor throwing coach."
(5) hearing John Ward call the games and saying "Give him six, touchdown Tennessee!" Or "It's football time in Tennessee!"
(6) just being at the game and seeing our Vols play and win! :thumbsup:

GO VOLS!!!!!!!

WARD.JPG

2a.jpg

He's at the 25 20. 15 10 5 4 3 2 1...GIVE HIM 6!! TOUCHDOWN BIG ORANGE!!

gawd, i miss him more than anything else.

living in austin, it is always fun to go to a crowded bar and watch the game and scream TOUCHDOWN BIG ORANGE, as the longhorns look at me like i'm crazy. :rocks:

that and wearing my vol orange around the texas alumni center during a texas game (only on a bye week for UT of course). i LOVE the looks i get!!!

ps. next year everyone is invited over for the annual gator fry during the UT/F.U. UF game.

John Ward - Voice of the Vols! I really miss him too. Also liked hearing him call the men's basketball games,especially back in the 60's, 70's and 80's! :bow:
Thank goodness for the three tapes I have on the Vols-97 season, 98 season and 99 season. I didn't get the SEC Championship game nor the NC game. Will never forget them either. There were 3 games that could have gone either way that season-Syracuse, Florida and Arkansas. Looking at the schedule I forsaw the first two games as a make or break season. Little did we know that the Arkansas game could have been the downfall. The Hogs had that game won and the fumble was the Vols break! :thumbsup:

stumbling clint sterner!!

that could have been the most stessful game i had ever seen. it truely was one of the greatest seasons to watch though.

beating mcnabb at home, beating florida and the...STERNER FUMBLES!! STERNER FUMBLES!! TENNESSEE RECOVERS!! Then the run... man, i wish i was still in tennessee that year.

Originally posted by allvol@Dec 16, 2004 11:40 AM
my favorite thing is after a huge emotional victory.... walking down the ramps.... and thousands of Vols fans singing, "it's great to be a Tennessee Vol..."

I agree I love walking down the ramps chanting "its great to be a Tennessee Vol"....

The "Walk",the VOLS coming through the "T", listening to the Pride of the Southland Band play RockyTop and TENNwaltz after the game.... we enjoy everything about a
TENNESSEE VOLS football game.... And those famous words...
IT'S FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE!!!!!!!!!

GO VOLS.....
GO BIG ORANGE......

:3cheers: :td: :3cheers:

Originally posted by VOL_AHOLIC@Dec 16, 2004 11:49 AM

texas university spends most of its "traditions" pages trying to explain that we did not cause most of them. We basically named their stupid steer(13- 0 = BEVO), no matter what pitiful excuses they try to come up with. Bonfire was the reason they did a "hex rally" and by the looks of it inspired whatever their torch walk is too(torches were used to light Bonfire). Also us having a hand sign inspired them to create the hook'em.

Probably the funniest things on those t.u. traditions pages however is the fact that they say "Texas Fight" was ranked in the Top 10 college fight songs, when actually their variation of "I've Been Working On The Railroad", their school song, was named in the top 10 of fight songs... Oh well, when the story sounds good, why let facts get in the way.

Back to the real U.T., could you guys go into detail about what occurs during VolWalk?

Been to Aggie land and most of the SEC and ACC stadiums.There is no place that has the auora of Neyland.It still makes the hair on your arms stand up each time you go there.It is magic... :rocks: :rocks:

Originally posted by 12thMan@Dec 16, 2004 6:30 PM
texas university spends most of its "traditions" pages trying to explain that we did not cause most of them. We basically named their stupid steer(13- 0 = BEVO), no matter what pitiful excuses they try to come up with.

What about Oregon State? Bevo the Beaver in 1921

I don't know anything about Bevo the Beaver, but it looks like t.u. had to come up the name Bevo first.

At least Oregon State didn't have to come up with the name for the beav due to a brand being placed on its hide. Ouch! :thumbsup:

Originally posted by 12thMan@Dec 16, 2004 9:30 PM
Back to the real U.T., could you guys go into detail about what occurs during VolWalk?

The VOL WALK is the entire team, players and coaches, walk from Gibbs Hall to Neyland Stadium. Its only a couple of hundred yards but the fans line up to lead the way, cheering every step of the way. Fans can reach out and high five, or shake the hands of just about any of them.

My favorite is to walk down Cumberland Ave. before and after the game. Its a great atmosphere before the game and an even greater atmosphere after a huge win (a la '98 UF).

Wow. Great thoughts here, ya'll. This is a cool thread. . . .

As for me, I'll go with the ceremonious "running through the T." Get chills every time. . . . you can feel the emotion swelling in anticipation, the band parts, the team bursts from the tunnel, and Neyland erupts into frenzy.

LOTS of close seconds:
Smokey's howl
Tall Paul on the Strip
Tailgaiting by the stadium, watching the Navy float in
Smokey dogs
The lovely aroma of Jack Daniels
(for my wife:) One heckuva impressive Big Orange Wave

And of course, a last-second field goal to knock off the Gators

VN Store

Back