Fightin Texas AGGIE bAND

GibbyAG03

Since I have heard such good things about your band I thought I would enlighten you guys some on our band. It really is a great band jsut different than what most people are accustomed to seeing perform or listen too. Our band is a military marching band unlike the performance bands like ya'lls and most other bands in the country. Our band has performed at two Inaugarations in Washington DC. Once for Bush Sr. and once for Bush Jr. (they will be going back this next term as well). They really are a good band. Anyway here is a link to listen to them perform our "fight song" I guess you could say. Also on that same page is the school song, Spirit of Aggieland. Enjoy!

Aggie War Hymn

For those of you lucky enough to go the game they will perform at halftime and I really think you will enjoy them. If you have Real Player on your computer I suggest you watch the 4-way Cross Drill down there at the bottom of the page. This dril is a special drill, in which the computer program that the Band leaders use to develop these drills, says that it is impossible b/c there are two people in the same place at the same time. But alas, they found a way to do it and we are proud of that fact.

I will try and find some other pics so that you guys can see them and stuff.

Gig'em

Gig'em

They need to add more video and pictures to that site!!! I watched the cross drill last night and was disappointed. It was from a practice at Kyle and is from a field view, when the drill's whole point is how it looks from the stands!

Here are some more recent pics I found, I posted them on the Kyle Field thread, but will repost here:

1997q_medium.jpg

2001t7_medium.jpg

and at Notre Dame Stadium in 2001:
2000b_medium.jpg

We do think highly of our band. Everyone stands when they perform, people wait to use the facilities and get drinks in the 3rd quarter to avoid missing the band at halftime, and they have their own weekly TV program, broadcast throughout the state.

We use your fight song at my high school. Great fight song, but falls short of rocky top. :D

Originally posted by BWeller18@Dec 8, 2004 11:42 PM
We use your fight song at my high school. Great fight song, but falls short of rocky top. :D

Your high school uses the Aggie War Hymn??? What words do you use? Rocky Top is good, but original works are something special. Is the official UT fight song an original work or was it lifted(like scores of colleges do, so this is not a slam) from another fight song?

While I love the War Hymn, nothing can top the feeling of pride when we sing The Spirit of Aggieland, and its unique YELLS at the end make it a very cool school song.

The Spirit of Aggieland

Listen (MP3 format)
The Spirit of Aggieland was written in 1925; the words by Marvin H. Mimms, a student, and the music by Col. Richard C. Dunn.

Some may boast of prowess bold
Of the school they think so grand,
But there's a spirit can ne'er be told
It's the spirit of Aggieland.

Chorus

We are the Aggies -- the Aggies are we.
True to each other as Aggies can be.
We've got to FIGHT boys,
We've got to FIGHT!
We've got to fight for Maroon and White.
After they' ve boosted all the rest,
They will come and join the best.
For we are the Aggies --
the Aggies are we,
We're from Texas A. M. C.

Second Chorus(Yells)

T--E--X--A--S, A--G--G--I--E,
Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!
Fight! Maroon!
White--White--White!
A--G--G--I--E, Texas!
Texas! A. M. C.
GIG 'EM AGGIES! 1! 2! 3!
FARMERS FIGHT! FARMERS FIGHT!
Fight -- fight --
Farmers, farmers, fight!

Not only is Rocky Top original to UT but it is very unique in all of college fight songs. It may very well be the most recognizable fight song in the nation. I mean how many other schools fight songs were also hit songs on the radio? Rocky Top rules and I hope you get to hear it A LOT in Dallas.

The war hymn was my high school fight song too. We didn't have words to it just played it after touchdowns. It killed my coach being that he played DE for tu.

Originally posted by VolBeef88@Dec 9, 2004 6:55 AM
Not only is Rocky Top original to UT but it is very unique in all of college fight songs. It may very well be the most recognizable fight song in the nation. I mean how many other schools fight songs were also hit songs on the radio? Rocky Top rules and I hope you get to hear it A LOT in Dallas.

No disrespect to Rocky Top, it's one of my favorites in all of college fight songs, but that statement reaches a little too far. I would think the Notre Dame Victory March and The Victors at Michigan are the two most recognizable fight songs.

And yes, Rocky Top rules.

Everyone has there opinion. I think many know the tunes to ND and Mich but don't know what school they go to. Rocky Top is very much tied to UT and all know it. That is my point. It is also unique as it doesn't really sound like a marching band song. But the Pride of the Southland Band does a great job making it sound so.

Originally posted by VolBeef88@Dec 9, 2004 11:12 AM
Everyone has there opinion. I think many know the tunes to ND and Mich but don't know what school they go to. Rocky Top is very much tied to UT and all know it. That is my point. It is also unique as it doesn't really sound like a marching band song. But the Pride of the Southland Band does a great job making it sound so.

I wouldn't be able to reconize Rocky Top but I easily reconize ND's and Michigan's... maybe that's just me.

Tennessee's fight song isn't "Rocky Top." It's "Down the Field."

I'm an Aggie and even I know this.

Originally posted by milohimself+Dec 9, 2004 10:21 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (milohimself @ Dec 9, 2004 10:21 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-VolBeef88@Dec 9, 2004 6:55 AM

No disrespect to Rocky Top, it&#39;s one of my favorites in all of college fight songs, but that statement reaches a little too far. I would think the Notre Dame Victory March and The Victors at Michigan are the two most recognizable fight songs.

And yes, Rocky Top rules. [/quote]
I am surprised you didn&#39;t list USC&#39;s fight song over Michigan and Notre Dame. I for one have heard them but couldn&#39;t match the songs to the schools. However, when I hear USC&#39;s song... I know its USC (just like Rocky Top :rocks: sets itself apart from the others). Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, etc...... their fight songs all sound the same. :puke:

Originally posted by VolBeef88@Dec 9, 2004 9:55 AM

I did not say it wasn&#39;t unique to UT. I was using the term "original" to mean a song that was written to be a song for a school, not an adopted song. Are you saying "Rocky Top" was written for UT and then became a hit?

By the way, as much as I hate it, The Eyes of Texas was a pretty big song in years past. Elvis Presley even recorded a version used in the movie Viva Las Vegas.

Originally posted by 12thMan@Dec 9, 2004 12:36 PM
Are you saying "Rocky Top" was written for UT and then became a hit?

No, it was a hit song first. But interestingly enought, UT-Chattanooga claims to have used &#39;Rocky Top&#39; as a fight song first and that UT-Knoxville stole it?

I know I might get flamed by the TAMU fans :chair: but I have always loved the "Eyes of Texas" fight song. I was a tbone player at UT (not t.u.) and would love to play the glisses at the end.

Originally posted by 9296potsguy@Dec 9, 2004 4:09 PM
I know I might get flamed by the TAMU fans :chair: but I have always loved the "Eyes of Texas" fight song. I was a tbone player at UT (not t.u.) and would love to play the glisses at the end.

"I&#39;ve Been Working on the Railroad," uh, "The Eyes of Texas" isn&#39;t their fight song. It&#39;s their alma mater.

Their fight song is "Texas Fight" (aka "Texas Taps" or, in Aggieland, "Texas Bite"), which is based on a combination of "Taps" and "I&#39;ve Been Working on the Railroad."

Texas bite
Texas bite
Texas jump up and bite my ass...

Originally posted by 9296potsguy@Dec 9, 2004 4:09 PM

One other thing... if you like the glisses in "Texas Fight," you&#39;d love playing in the SMU band. Their revision of "She&#39;ll be Comin&#39; Round the Mountain" consists basically of constant trombone glissandos.

Originally posted by allvol@Dec 9, 2004 8:58 AM
I am surprised you didn&#39;t list USC&#39;s fight song over Michigan and Notre Dame. I for one have heard them but couldn&#39;t match the songs to the schools. However, when I hear USC&#39;s song... I know its USC (just like Rocky Top :rocks: sets itself apart from the others). Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, etc...... their fight songs all sound the same. :puke:

SoCal Spellout is my favorite from USC. But yeah, Fight On is pretty unique and I enjoy it as well. You should check out "Hey Pachuco" from Oregon State. That one&#39;s really fun.

http://ajsportsbar.com/pac10/Oregon_State__Hey_Pachuco.mp3

Originally posted by allvol@Dec 9, 2004 8:58 AM
Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, etc...... their fight songs all sound the same. :puke:

Have to love the Buckeye&#39;s band name:

The Ohio State "Best Damn Band in the Land" Marching Band

Originally posted by BWeller18@Dec 8, 2004 11:42 PM

At my High school we used USC&#39;s fight song. I did not know this till I attended college and followed College Sports.

VN Store

Back