First practice notes

VOLociraptorr

This is a compilation from what I've heard from various Tennessee reporters

Here is a random assortment of what I've heard about the players / team

1. Nico looks good and carries himself well. My personal favorite story I heard about Nicos humility involves a youth group. Nico was practicing and some teens from a youth group wanted to toss the ball around with him. The youth leader instructed them not to bother Nico, as he thought Nico was too high profile and wouldn't want to play with them. After Nico was done practicing, he went and played with them.

2. Rickey Gibson noted that Brazzel was the hardest receiver to cover. Hubbs is "Bullish" on Brazzel which is a huge compliment from Hubbs

3. Jordan Ross looks every bit the five star and already looks SEC ready

4. Ben McKee thinks that Nimrod will start over squirrel. Heupel loves Nimrod (he went out of his way to praise Nimrod too) but I personally Don't think Nimrod would start over squirrel

5. Caleb Herring started around 208 lb at Tennessee now he is closer to 250

6. Pilli has slimmed down some and flies all over the field. He was originally thought of as you were traditional big backer but now he can make plays all over the field with his slimmer size

7. The VQ guys said our team is huge, lean, and confident

8. Larry Johnson has trimmed down and could provide a viable backup role

9. Everyone I listened to/read mentioned Jeremias Heard as the steal of last recruiting class. Apparently, he has the body and looks the part of a future dominant offensive lineman.

10. The staff is very high on Jesse Perry, A guy I personally forgot was in our last recruiting class. The staff thanks Perry is way ahead of schedule and can contribute sooner rather than later

11. I found this quite fascinating. In the past, we have had strength coaches who wanted their name out there and promoted which is why we heard so much about them. Kurt Schmidt does not want any articles written about him or interviews.

12. Halzle mentioned that Merk could contribute as a freshman. They said he is not elite in anything but above average in everything

13. The 247 guys mentioned that Joshua Josephs has taken this offseason more seriously than any other and now has the mindset to live up to his potential. They speculated it is due to James Pierce's success driving him to be better

14. Peyton Lewis is healthy and explosive

15. Daevin Hobbs is now a lean 300

16. Elijah Simmons looks to finally be at his ideal playing weight

17. And my personal favorite, Tennessee players and coaches have set a championship expectation. Through interviews and conversations, they mention they expect to win every game.

I'd like to add that Karic was running at first team LG while Davis it at LT and L. Heard is nursing a knee thing he suffered a few weeks ago. Cain said L. Heard would be back soon.

The emergence of LJ3, Perry, Sham, Karic and potential of Satterwhite and J. Heard makes me excited for the OL for the first time since Heup got here. Hopefully Lang settles in and gets better this camp because he is a good OL.

I'd like to add that Karic was running at first team LG while Davis it at LT and L. Heard is nursing a knee thing he suffered a few weeks ago. Cain said L. Heard would be back soon.

The emergence of LJ3, Perry, Sham, Karic and potential of Satterwhite and J. Heard makes me excited for the OL for the first time since Heup got here. Hopefully Lang settles in and gets better this camp because he is a good OL.
Thanks for adding brother! I had not heard that about Karic. Great input

Reactions: VOLfrombama

I hope Lang gets playing time this year in relief of Cooper. With the importance of center to the scheme, we really need a solid backup and a plan for the future.

OL seems it will be fine with starters. Depth wise there are few good names but have not heard much about guys like Brian Grant (injured Spring), Masai Reddick, Ayden Busell etc as depth ready guys (media chatter admittedly). Hope they can provide valuable depth in what could be a 16-17 game season.

Been since...what...'02 or '04 where there is THIS much positivity ACROSS THE BOARD and on BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL...would you say??!!
Yep. I'll add mentality in there too. Heup doesn't shy away from expectations unlike previous coaches, like 2016 Butch who was perfectly content winning 9 games. That ish rubs off on players too

OL seems it will be fine with starters. Depth wise there are few good names but have not heard much about guys like Brian Grant (injured Spring), Masai Reddick, Ayden Busell etc as depth ready guys (media chatter admittedly). Hope they can provide valuable depth in what could be a 16-17 game season.
I think they're all solid depth pieces and with the right amount of work over the next calendar year could be possible contributors next year.

Hubbs said something this morning on the mailbag podcast that I thought was on the nose......

If they're having to play their 10th depth piece up front then something has gone bad wrong and I wouldn't expect a lot of success (paraphrasing)

Reactions: VOLociraptorr
Number 11. Truly amazing. Before I got to this bullet, I was thinking about how much these guys have changed their bodies and how we haven't heard much about the Strength and Conditioning coach. Turns out, we have Danny White to thank for him (Heup, too).

Number 11. Truly amazing. Before I got to this bullet, I was thinking about how much these guys have changed their bodies and how we haven't heard much about the Strength and Conditioning coach. Turns out, we have Danny White to thank for him (Heup, too).

That was my favorite nugget to be honest. I wondered why I hadn't heard about him. Turns out, he doesn't want the publicity

This is a compilation from what I've heard from various Tennessee reporters

Here is a random assortment of what I've heard about the players / team

1. Nico looks good and carries himself well. My personal favorite story I heard about Nicos humility involves a youth group. Nico was practicing and some teens from a youth group wanted to toss the ball around with him. The youth leader instructed them not to bother Nico, as he thought Nico was too high profile and wouldn't want to play with them. After Nico was done practicing, he went and played with them.

2. Rickey Gibson noted that Brazzel was the hardest receiver to cover. Hubbs is "Bullish" on Brazzel which is a huge compliment from Hubbs

3. Jordan Ross looks every bit the five star and already looks SEC ready

4. Ben McKee thinks that Nimrod will start over squirrel. Heupel loves Nimrod (he went out of his way to praise Nimrod too) but I personally Don't think Nimrod would start over squirrel

5. Caleb Herring started around 208 lb at Tennessee now he is closer to 250

6. Pilli has slimmed down some and flies all over the field. He was originally thought of as you were traditional big backer but now he can make plays all over the field with his slimmer size

7. The VQ guys said our team is huge, lean, and confident

8. Larry Johnson has trimmed down and could provide a viable backup role

9. Everyone I listened to/read mentioned Jeremias Heard as the steal of last recruiting class. Apparently, he has the body and looks the part of a future dominant offensive lineman.

10. The staff is very high on Jesse Perry, A guy I personally forgot was in our last recruiting class. The staff thanks Perry is way ahead of schedule and can contribute sooner rather than later

11. I found this quite fascinating. In the past, we have had strength coaches who wanted their name out there and promoted which is why we heard so much about them. Kurt Schmidt does not want any articles written about him or interviews.

12. Halzle mentioned that Merk could contribute as a freshman. They said he is not elite in anything but above average in everything

13. The 247 guys mentioned that Joshua Josephs has taken this offseason more seriously than any other and now has the mindset to live up to his potential. They speculated it is due to James Pierce's success driving him to be better

14. Peyton Lewis is healthy and explosive

15. Daevin Hobbs is now a lean 300

16. Elijah Simmons looks to finally be at his ideal playing weight

17. And my personal favorite, Tennessee players and coaches have set a championship expectation. Through interviews and conversations, they mention they expect to win every game.
I have a hard time thinking that a receiver with 183 receiving yards in his career is going to start over a guy who has 1,300 receiving yds in the same period. Even saying this out loud makes me question McKee's credibility. I thought Nimrod and Webb should have gotten more chances in the rotation last year but its day 1 of fall camp. Let's take a breath.

Reactions: barrylee and FBtime
I have a hard time thinking that a receiver with 183 receiving yards in his career is going to start over a guy who has 1,300 receiving yds in the same period. Even saying this out loud makes me question McKee's credibility. I thought Nimrod and Webb should have gotten more chances in the rotation last year but its day 1 of fall camp. Let's take a breath.

Agree...he will be the 5th guy but play more than that person has in the last few years.

Cedric had 124 yards in 3 seasons before 1081 and 12. I'll take coach on this one.

VN Store

Back