Football season begins: Tennessee at Oklahoma-

JohnWardForever

You know what the Volunteers did to the underprivileged – Chattanooga, North Carolina State and Kent State. Oklahoma is bigger time. It lives on football Main Street, cowboy version. It warmed up at the expense of Temple, Houston and Tulane ....westwords THIS IS----The Big Time Yall.. Click & Get Ready! westwords Marvin West

You know what the Volunteers did to the underprivileged – Chattanooga, North Carolina State and Kent State. Oklahoma is bigger time. It lives on football Main Street, cowboy version. It warmed up at the expense of Temple, Houston and Tulane ....westwords THIS IS----The Big Time Yall.. Click & Get Ready! westwords Marvin West
I agree... the season starts Saturday!

Reactions: JohnWardForever
Getting into the real part of the season now when the contenders and pretenders are exposed. With GA-AL and GA-TX games coming up in the next couple of weeks, Vols have a chance to jump right into the top of the SEC and playoffs. Convincing win over OK will be huge.

We’ll skip the part about Oklahoma’s defense and Clemson scoring 40 and that Stoops did not fire his brother, Mike, defensive coordinator. Exactly, however Old Bob had no choice the next season , he did fire his Brother. I imagine there was plenty of friction between the Stoops & Heuple. Hope Josh is able to relieve some frustration..

Finally. This should be a good game.
I think we have the talent but still nervous. I wish we had been able to play a decent team before OU but guess we'll just punch them in the mouth.
Saturday is going to be a loooooong day. I hate these late games. May have to go play a round of golf or go fishing to help pass the day .
GB🍊

Finally. This should be a good game.
I think we have the talent but still nervous. I wish we had been able to play a decent team before OU but guess we'll just punch them in the mouth.
Saturday is going to be a loooooong day. I hate these late games. May have to go play a round of golf or go fishing to help pass the day .
GB🍊

The advantage here is that OK hasn't played anyone yet either, and struggled with Houston. NcSt is (we think) a notch above Houston. Okla 16-Hou-12.

We’ll skip the part about Oklahoma’s defense and Clemson scoring 40 and that Stoops did not fire his brother, Mike, defensive coordinator. Exactly, however Old Bob had no choice the next season , he did fire his Brother. I imagine there was plenty of friction between the Stoops & Heuple. Hope Josh is able to relieve some frustration..
Stoops had his brother calling plays over Venables 😂 Let this be a lesson to the future generation. Dont mix family and business.

They struggled with Houston and let Tulane back into the game last Saturday.
Yep, that didn't look good on the Sooners. Tulane in a rebuild mode too. IF that's a true indication of their team, Tennessee should wear them out. And, If Nico handles that environment without turning it over. I can Tennessee's defense making life tough on the Okie Qb too. This should be a James Pierce showout game.

This game is going to be one of two things, and I can't for the life of me figure out which:

(a) it could be a knock-down, drag-out affair for 60 minutes, decided in the last posssession.

or

(b) it could be a slightly less lopsided version of the NC State game.

Because I see both those things in Oklahoma.

But I think the reason I see the peer competitor (the (a) version) is because of history. Oklahoma has BEEN peer competition at an elite level, even when we weren't (our Dark Ages).

So the team I think I see today, and the team I remember from years past, they're out-of-kilter.

Which is why it's so challenging to predict this one.

But the preponderance of the evidence says, yah, this is gonna feel a lot like the NC State game, just maybe not in the 1st Qtr.

Go Vols!

This game is going to be one of two things, and I can't for the life of me figure out which:

(a) it could be a knock-down, drag-out affair for 60 minutes, decided in the last posssession.

or

(b) it could be a slightly less lopsided version of the NC State game.

Because I see both those things in Oklahoma.

But I think the reason I see the peer competitor (the (a) version) is because of history. Oklahoma has BEEN peer competition at an elite level, even when we weren't (our Dark Ages).

So the team I think I see today, and the team I remember from years past, they're out-of-kilter.

Which is why it's so challenging to predict this one.

But the preponderance of the evidence says, yah, this is gonna feel a lot like the NC State game, just maybe not in the 1st Qtr.

Go Vols!

Seems like it should only be a close game in the 4th quarter if we turn the ball over multiple times or we have multiple breakdowns on defense and special teams.

If we play well it doesn't matter what OU does, we win. There isn't a giant killer lurking behind their less than mediocre performances thus far. IMO.

Seems like it should only be a close game in the 4th quarter if we turn the ball over multiple times or we have multiple breakdowns on defense and special teams.

If we play well it doesn't matter what OU does, we win. There isn't a giant killer lurking behind their less than mediocre performances thus far. IMO.
Yes I believe Vol TO's and penalties will be the factor in keeping this game close or not. Avoid the drive killing penalties on O and late hits on D. Easier said than done. I see one int by Nico but hope it's not a pick 6.

Reactions: General Jack
Yep, that didn't look good on the Sooners. Tulane in a rebuild mode too. IF that's a true indication of their team, Tennessee should wear them out. And, If Nico handles that environment without turning it over. I can Tennessee's defense making life tough on the Okie Qb too. This should be a James Pierce showout game.
Agreed. To your point about Nico and potential turnovers, I'd like to see him take a few less chances on Saturday. There were even a few throws last weekend that he tried to force. At least one receiver will be open the majority of the time. Hit the open guys and move the chains.

OU has an SEC defensive front from a size and skillset department, as big of a unit that Vols will face all season. OU rotates four LBs all 245+, OU's interior DL are 315+. OU has the size to stop the run but haven't shown the propensity to do so on tape. OU has veterans at safety, but tend to let WRs get behind them. They lack top-end speed at the corner position. Best ability is disguising their coverage.

Till...Tennessee "WHIPS THEIR #V(%ING AZZ"...this Saturday...THEN y'all will be Postin'...after the Bye Week...

"THIS is when the REAL Season Starts with a Road Trip To Arkansas"...

OU has an SEC defensive front from a size and skillset department, as big of a unit that Vols will face all season. OU rotates four LBs all 245+, OU's interior DL are 315+. OU has the size to stop the run but haven't shown the propensity to do so on tape. OU has veterans at safety, but tend to let WRs get behind them. They lack top-end speed at the corner position. Best ability is disguising their coverage.
May be tough to rotate and disguise if we get our tempo where we like it to be.

But I agree, going to be a tough game against their D.

Reactions: WillisWG
Reposted because we now begin SEC play.
===========================================================================
What a thrill, a thrill it is, don't you agree?
What a wonderful time, time for it to be.
Oh, yes, it's back, it's back here once again!
Been gone way, way too long, "Where have you been?"
The greatest circus ever, sponsored by the S-E-C.
Yes everybody, yes it's football time in Tennessee.

We got a red algae bloom claiming to be an elephant.
A strange attraction for a circus, can you imagine that?
We got tigers, an alligator, and slobbering squat dogs;
We also got an entire drove of invasive feral hogs.
A rooster, an untamed cat, and a castrated bull.
There's more to our circus, the roster isn't full.
Got a sailor, a farmer, an outlaw, a trespasser too.
A woods tramp stalking them in rain or sky that's blue.
Bless the return of the circus, the S-E-C.

Because again it's football time in Tennessee!

[WoodsmanVol]

The advantage here is that OK hasn't played anyone yet either, and struggled with Houston. NcSt is (we think) a notch above Houston. Okla 16-Hou-12.
True. Just don't want them to pick this game to rise up to the occasion 😎
It is nice that TN has good run/pass game and our front D Line guys are playing lights out...
Need to lay the wood to their QB but not enough that he has to leave the game. Don't need some backup QB coming in to save the day.

True. Just don't want them to pick this game to rise up to the occasion 😎
It is nice that TN has good run/pass game and our front D Line guys are playing lights out...
Need to lay the wood to their QB but not enough that he has to leave the game. Don't need some backup QB coming in to save the day.

Their backup isn't the answer. The Dline and Lbs need to hit their guy with some good old fashioned SEC wham bam. Arnold hasn't seen that yet, and okie's Oline is rated 11th in the Sec vs UT's Dline rated 3rd. If that holds up, it could be a long day for Arnold & Co.

VN Store

Back