Football Team Could Lose Scholarships

Give him SIX!

Just read where the NCAA released its new Academic Progress Rate scores on Monday. Tennessee's Football team's score droped from a 920 to 902. The NCAA will assess penalties when the the APR rates for 04-05 are released in December. Any programs under 925 could lose scholarships. As of now all of UT's Women's Sports are above the 925 cutoff, but the Men only have two sports above the cutoff (Track and Golf).

I hate this new APR rule. It is a little beyond ridiculous. I think that the athletes should be going to class and all, but this is a little much. If I understood it correctly, we could even be penalized for kicking people off the team that behave badly. Also, if someone leaves early for the draft, that can also count against the APR. Did I understand that correctly? Can anyone verify that?

I know you get hit for players leaving early, which is pretty stupid. If someone offered any other student $10 million to leave college early, they would be gone. Why should this not be true for athletes? If they can come back in a few years after collecting some big-time $$$ then why are their schools penalized?

Also, it looks like their was a rule change by the NCAA. The rule was that you were eligible if you passed any 6 hours (yes, only 6!). Now it seems that those 6 hours must apply toward a degree path.

I have to agree w/ the NCAA on this one. If you can't pass 6 hours of class (basically 2 classes) then you may not be college material.

Originally posted by Give him SIX!@May 11, 2005 12:32 PM
Just read where the NCAA released its new Academic Progress Rate scores on Monday. Tennessee's Football team's score droped from a 920 to 902. The NCAA will assess penalties when the the APR rates for 04-05 are released in December. Any programs under 925 could lose scholarships. As of now all of UT's Women's Sports are above the 925 cutoff, but the Men only have two sports above the cutoff (Track and Golf).

They could asses penalties but look for the numbers to change again before December and the penalty phase could get pushed back. Also UT may appeal due to a rule change added at a late date.

VN Store

Back