For Everyone Pressing The Panic Button...

No kidding. It's one loss to a team that is much better than the front of their jerseys would tell you...it's really not that big of a deal. If the team learns from their mistakes, as well as the coaches, it's a plus when conference and tournament play roll around.

Hat, sometimes I think many of the posters need you as their psychologist, a la R. Lee Ermey. 2nd profession?

Last edited:
No kidding. It's one loss to a team that is much better than the front of their jerseys would tell you...it's really not that big of a deal. If the team learns from their mistakes, as well as the coaches, it's a plus when conference and tournament play roll around.

Hat, sometimes I think many of the posters need you as their psychologist, a la R. Lee Ermey. 2nd profession?

When I imagine Hat as a psychologist, I imagine the commercial where the therapist subsequently calls the patient a Jackwagon. However, its the best approach IMO.

I don't understand hitting the panic button after one game. Oakland was extremely lucky tonight, packed the lanes nicely, and really hit the boards hard in the 2nd half. That with the ticky tackin' call that doesn't seem like it will go away and overlooking a team will happen. It's how the team responds after this loss. If it's a wake up call then screw a loss to a 6-5 Oakland team (that isn't really that bad).

When I imagine Hat as a psychologist, I imagine the commercial where the therapist subsequently calls the patient a Jackwagon. However, its the best approach IMO.

Haha, I couldn't agree more. One day, when Volnation goes public and begins advertising, we need to get that in the works.

Tennessee is far better than Louisville this season and I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up missing the 'AAs.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I don't understand hitting the panic button after one game. Oakland was extremely lucky tonight, packed the lanes nicely, and really hit the boards hard in the 2nd half. That with the ticky tackin' call that doesn't seem like it will go away and overlooking a team will happen. It's how the team responds after this loss. If it's a wake up call then screw a loss to a 6-5 Oakland team (that isn't really that bad).

We weren't going undefeated anyways, so go ahead and get an L under the belt and see how you respond. It won't be the last loss we go through. We'll be OK. Hopefully this will calm the "2011 National Champs" threads currently posted...

Thankfully, or should I say hopefully. It surely won't be the last loss and I don't know why people speak of Oakland like it's such a horrible thing. Pretty sure this team is dancing this year. They have a couple of studs that would more than likely start on other SEC rosters and they have played an extremely tough schedule so far and were decently competitive in them. Haven't they played Illi, Purdue, Michigan State, and Cuse? Might be wrong about some of those teams but I think someone was talkinga bout it tonight at the game.

Also, Kentucky fans are in automatic orgasim mode right now. "Little Brother" and "UCheat" going down in the same night = paradise for a Wildcat fan. Enjoy while it last little fellas to the north.

Also, Kentucky fans are in automatic orgasim mode right now. "Little Brother" and "UCheat" going down in the same night = paradise for a Wildcat fan. Enjoy while it last little fellas to the north.

I do become giddy with any UL loss. However, not so with UT.

I think a loss here and there -- such as the one tonight -- will end up being a good thing for the Vols as the season gets to the nitty gritty.

The Oakland loss is what I would call a 'reset' loss that should help the team keep it all in perspective. Just because you beat Pitt and suddenly have everyone (except Whitelaw "Harry" Reid) loving you, doesn't mean you'll be cutting down the twine in March. You still have to show up for every game in order to have a chance at a win.

I think fear of failure, or not living up to potential, is the best motivator for me. Hopefully, these Vols will reset their focus after this loss and use it to their advantage down the road.

Visiting CatsPause is never a good idea.

Not pressing the panic button, but I'm really hoping that Oakland dominates the Summit and pulls off a win against either Michigan or Ohio State. I know they're good, but I don't want the selection committee looking at this game in March and saying "They lost to Oakland? Really?" Maybe I underrate the selection committee, but I'm distrustful like that.

Also, this was only my second game ever in TBA (first this season), so it was pretty depressing. Also, for everyone saying it was dead, this was about the same as it was last time. I guess this is what I get for only being able to go to games over the holidays (although the NCAA Tourney games in Providence last year were AMAZING).

It's a long season people. At this point, would you take a loss to Oakland, who's not that bad, for two wins over top 10 teams and a early season tournament victory? I sure would. We'll be fine.

Panic (sm).gif

Drexel 52
Louisville 46

Thank you, hat.

It is December. Losing a game to a solid mid-major (and Drexel qualifies as well) is really not that big a deal. I actually had a hunch -- and indeed gave serious consideration to taking Oakland straight up on the ML before deciding to just lay off it -- that this would be a classic let-down game against what was bound to be a hungrier team on this particular day.

If anything, losing this game might be a blessing in disguise. Tennesse has had some impressive wins, but I still think we're more of a 10-15 team with top 5 potential than a top 5 team. This is a reminder that they're not quite there yet.

The biggest part of the game was the same ole same ole. Get away from the street ball and play designed ball.

These mid-late december games are all trap games for bigger schools. You come off a month of preseason tournaments and high profile games, and then turn around after final exams and play these pesky summit league squads who are playing their biggest game of the year. It's official. Mid-Late December = Nightmare

not in a panic. disappointing loss; gave 'em too many open shots in 2nd half. Thanks for the update & thread, hat...though you are an enigma.

I don't really think Oakland was lucky...I think they are a good ball team. We shot the ball poorly in the 2nd half and made some mistakes and we just can't do that against the majority of teams on our schedule without losing.

I think this loss was good for us. We need to stay focused on the big picture and this loss may be just what we needed to "clear the fog" so to speak and get back to winning again!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

VN Store

Back