Former Governor of Tennessee Don Sundquist Passes Away at 87

Franklin Pierce

Former Tennessee Governor and U.S. Representative Don Sundquist passed away Sunday morning. He was 87 years old.

Tennessee U.S. Representative Tim Burchett (R-TN-02) was the first to offer his condolences on Twitter, writing, “I’m sorry to hear my friend Don Sundquist died this morning. He served in Congress and also as our 47th Governor of Tennessee.”

The former governor, born in Illinois on March 15, 1936, received a bachelor’s degree from Augustana College in 1957 and served in the U.S. Navy until 1959. He was the first member of his family to finish high school and attend college.

Sundquist’s first elected position was in the U.S. House of Representatives, where he served six terms representing Tennessee’s 7th congressional district and earned a reputation for being a “fiscal conservative,” according to the National Governors Association.

In November 1994, Sundquist was elected Governor of Tennessee – defeating Nashville mayor Phil Breseden by 807,104 to 664,252 votes – and was reelected in 1998 by a record margin.

Former Governor of Tennessee Don Sundquist Passes Away at 87 - Tennessee Star

Reactions: W.TN.Orange Blood
Former Tennessee Governor and U.S. Representative Don Sundquist passed away Sunday morning. He was 87 years old.

Tennessee U.S. Representative Tim Burchett (R-TN-02) was the first to offer his condolences on Twitter, writing, “I’m sorry to hear my friend Don Sundquist died this morning. He served in Congress and also as our 47th Governor of Tennessee.”

The former governor, born in Illinois on March 15, 1936, received a bachelor’s degree from Augustana College in 1957 and served in the U.S. Navy until 1959. He was the first member of his family to finish high school and attend college.

Sundquist’s first elected position was in the U.S. House of Representatives, where he served six terms representing Tennessee’s 7th congressional district and earned a reputation for being a “fiscal conservative,” according to the National Governors Association.

In November 1994, Sundquist was elected Governor of Tennessee – defeating Nashville mayor Phil Breseden by 807,104 to 664,252 votes – and was reelected in 1998 by a record margin.

Former Governor of Tennessee Don Sundquist Passes Away at 87 - Tennessee Star
6 terms in House and 8 years as Gov..typical career pol

Met him during Annual Training at Ft. Stewart one summer. Seemed nice enough. His security guards were a little nervous because I had an M60 slung over my shoulder. “That’s a big gun, son.” He says. “I’m a big man, sir,” was my reply.

My neighbor was a TN gov pilot and flew Dunn Blanton Alexander McWherter Sundquist and Bredesen around. Sunquist and Blanton are not high on his list. Alexander and McWherter were his favs.

VN Store

Back