Former Vol Respert Honored

For those who are lazy:

April 6, 2005

Former Tennessee football standout Jason Respert has been awarded the 2005 Bert E. Sams Service and Leadership Award by Tim Rogers, Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs. Respert is the first student-athlete to receive the award.

Respert was recognized for his many extraordinary accomplishments including service as a Student-Athlete Advisory Committee representative and chair of the SAAC community service committee. As a senior, he was vice-president of Campus Affairs.

The Warner-Robins, Ga., native also was a regular Friday visitor to local schools during football season, taking part in the "Captains in the Classroom" program. One particular visit to A.L. Lotts Elementary School in Knoxville led to his reading and fielding questions from fifth graders, just a sampling of his regular itinerary during those visits.

"Jason is an outstanding young man," head coach Phillip Fulmer said. "During his time at UT, he made tremendous contributions to our team and to the community."

The award was created in honor Bert E. Sams, who retired from UT in 1999 after 31 years of service. It is awarded annually by the Division of Student Affairs to recognize a student who has neither sought nor gained public acclaim for his/her exceptional service and leadership activities.

At the time of his retirement, Sams served as associate vice chancellor for administration and student affairs. Sams is best known to his colleagues for his selfless commitment to the University and to its students.

Good thing you posted that. I was sitting here thinking "Ya know, I like Respert... But ain't no way I'm clicking on that link. Who knows what kind of time I could waste scrolling a mouse? Especially while I've been sitting here at my computer for the last hour and a half."

Originally posted by milohimself@Apr 6, 2005 9:52 PM
Good thing you posted that. I was sitting here thinking "Ya know, I like Respert... But ain't no way I'm clicking on that link. Who knows what kind of time I could waste scrolling a mouse? Especially while I've been sitting here at my computer for the last hour and a half."

:shakehead: :machinegun: :flush:

I guess I am the only one who is too lazy to click external links sometimes... it disturbs my "flow". B)

Originally posted by vol_freak+Apr 6, 2005 7:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vol_freak @ Apr 6, 2005 7:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-milohimself@Apr 6, 2005 9:52 PM
Good thing you posted that. I was sitting here thinking "Ya know, I like Respert... But ain&#39;t no way I&#39;m clicking on that link. Who knows what kind of time I could waste scrolling a mouse? Especially while I&#39;ve been sitting here at my computer for the last hour and a half."

I guess I am the only one who is too lazy to click external links sometimes... it disturbs my "flow". B) [/quote]
:lol: I am only kidding... I read it. Good deal.

This is an excellent example of why no college should ever adopt a zero tolerance policy when it comes to athletes.

Some on here may not remember, but Jason Respert almost did not become a Vol. After the incident in 2000 on his Florida recruiting trip there was serious discussion among the coaching staff about pulling his offer. In the end, Coach Fulmer believed Jason&#39;s explanation of the events. Jason ended up pleading &#39;no contest&#39; to charges that were brought.

Florida pulled their offer.

Now we see a young man who learned from his mistake and worked hard every day at rebuilding his reputation.

He made the University of Tennessee proud and is a prime example of how young people deserve a second, and sometimes a third or fourth chance. I fear we give up on some young men just one chance short of their becoming mature, beneficial, and proud members of the community.

Originally posted by OldVol@Apr 7, 2005 9:34 AM
This is an excellent example of why no college should ever adopt a zero tolerance policy when it comes to athletes.

Some on here may not remember, but Jason Respert almost did not become a Vol. After the incident in 2000 on his Florida recruiting trip there was serious discussion among the coaching staff about pulling his offer. In the end, Coach Fulmer believed Jason&#39;s explanation of the events. Jason ended up pleading &#39;no contest&#39; to charges that were brought.

Florida pulled their offer.

Now we see a young man who learned from his mistake and worked hard every day at rebuilding his reputation.

He made the University of Tennessee proud and is a prime example of how young people deserve a second, and sometimes a third or fourth chance. I fear we give up on some young men just one chance short of their becoming mature, beneficial, and proud members of the community.

Good job, OldVol. I agree and I also think that somehow there should be more written about what these guys do for the good of the university and the community.

We certainly hear about it when someone screws up but not nearly enough about the positive things they do.

Way to go, Jason. :thumbsup:

It&#39;s the same in all areas of the news media. Bad news sells. I suppose it&#39;s no more of an indictment of the news media than it is of society itself. If we didn&#39;t wet ourselves over every juicy, bawdy, bloody, perverted and outrageous incident the media reports on, we might actually find more good news being presented.

I heard Ted Koppel on CSpan the other day answering the question; why don’t the media report more good news about Iraq? His answer, "We expect the White House will tell the good news, so there&#39;s no real reason for us to report it." I don&#39;t think I&#39;ve ever heard a more lame reason for not reporting GOOD news. Given that line of reasoning; how many people actually watch the daily news briefing from the White House? Yeah, exactly&#33;

The network and cable news outlets owe it to society to show more good news, to be more ‘fair and balanced’ than even Fox. Fox does a better job of sharing the good, but they too are far more interested in the salacious than the good.

Who is to blame? All of us are.

Originally posted by vol_freak+Apr 6, 2005 10:36 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vol_freak @ Apr 6, 2005 10:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-milohimself@Apr 6, 2005 9:52 PM
Good thing you posted that. I was sitting here thinking "Ya know, I like Respert... But ain&#39;t no way I&#39;m clicking on that link. Who knows what kind of time I could waste scrolling a mouse? Especially while I&#39;ve been sitting here at my computer for the last hour and a half."

I guess I am the only one who is too lazy to click external links sometimes... it disturbs my "flow". B) [/quote]
It&#39;s ok, as long as everything COMES OUT in the END. :p

Originally posted by OldVol@Apr 7, 2005 12:54 PM
It&#39;s the same in all areas of the news media. Bad news sells. I suppose it&#39;s no more of an indictment of the news media than it is of society itself. If we didn&#39;t wet ourselves over every juicy, bawdy, bloody, perverted and outrageous incident the media reports on, we might actually find more good news being presented.

I heard Ted Koppel on CSpan the other day answering the question; why don’t the media report more good news about Iraq? His answer, "We expect the White House will tell the good news, so there&#39;s no real reason for us to report it." I don&#39;t think I&#39;ve ever heard a more lame reason for not reporting GOOD news. Given that line of reasoning; how many people actually watch the daily news briefing from the White House? Yeah, exactly&#33;

The network and cable news outlets owe it to society to show more good news, to be more ‘fair and balanced’ than even Fox. Fox does a better job of sharing the good, but they too are far more interested in the salacious than the good.

Who is to blame? All of us are.
[snapback]73544[/snapback]​

I laughed at people initially who thought the media was being bias but I agree with it to a somewhat extent.

First off, the NYTimes writers are idiots. I used to read it all the time but not anymore.

Their Fallujah coverage was a joke full of lies and exaggerations.

I would be dead if what they said was true.

Old Vol, it scared me to death when Fulmer signed Respert. I thought we had to be desperate to sign this kid. I must say that he may be my favorite all time Vol. What a great story. I&#39;ll never second guess ole Phil again. Phil is pretty solid himself.

WTG Jason&#33;

Great to hear&#33; He was as solid at center as we&#39;ve had. IMO

As for cpf he spots a O lineman&#33; and took his chances with Respert.

But it was up to Respert to take his new found trust and make something of it. Wished more these days would do the same...

VN Store

Back