Gameday help for Knox newbie

TNVols91

Bringing the fam and a friend to Neyland for kY game. Rolling into Knoxville around 2pm saturday staying at a hotel up I275. Was wondering where the best place to park/get some pregame food before kickoff. Any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Stoked
Bringing the fam and a friend to Neyland for kY game. Rolling into Knoxville around 2pm saturday staying at a hotel up I275. Was wondering where the best place to park/get some pregame food before kickoff. Any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Bump?

I like parking at East TN Children's hospital (they have Lots and Garage available), the money paid goes to helping out East TN Children's. From there you can walk down to the strip and there are plenty of food options there.

I like parking at East TN Children's hospital (they have Lots and Garage available), the money paid goes to helping out East TN Children's. From there you can walk down to the strip and there are plenty of food options there.
Second this. Usually pretty easy to get out too with the way they've got traffic flowing.

This seems like a good place to ask. It's been 5 years since I've been to a game. Are there spots around Neyland to buy Vols merch? I remember there were tents the last time selling some. Or where's the closest/best place to buy Vols merch close to the stadium?

This seems like a good place to ask. It's been 5 years since I've been to a game. Are there spots around Neyland to buy Vols merch? I remember there were tents the last time selling some. Or where's the closest/best place to buy Vols merch close to the stadium?

There's a massive VolShop on Phillip Fulmer Way just north of the stadium. It's usually a madhouse on gameday but it's cool.

EDIT: Double post (somehow)

You really have two main options: (1) Park near Cumberland Avenue aka "The Strip." There are food places a long the way. They flow traffic out of the area following the game but it can be congested; (2) Park downtown and enjoy Market Square or the Old City. This a bit of a walk to the stadium and you will likely be stuck in some traffic but will have more options for local food/drink.

There is parking all over the place but the two options above give the best availability on eating/drinks before the game. You also need to make sure you plan enough time to walk over for the Vol Walk.

Reactions: CR-vol
You really have two main options: (1) Park near Cumberland Avenue aka "The Strip." There are food places a long the way. They flow traffic out of the area following the game but it can be congested; (2) Park downtown and enjoy Market Square or the Old City. This a bit of a walk to the stadium and you will likely be stuck in some traffic but will have more options for local food/drink.

There is parking all over the place but the two options above give the best availability on eating/drinks before the game. You also need to make sure you plan enough time to walk over for the Vol Walk.

We did like option 2 last season it's a good way to go. Parked in a garage somewhere a short walk to Market Square, got a good meal with a few adult beverages, then a longer walk over to the stadium and checked out the Volshop there just before the Volwalk.

Last edited:
If you should decide to go the downtown route which is the way I have done for the past two years for every game here are my suggestions.

If you like a burger, go to Stock and Barrell (Best Burger In Knoxville & Nashville | Whiskey Bar | Craft Cocktails | The Stock & Barrel). You can use Yelp to put your name on the wait list and to monitor the wait as you drive in and park.

We like Cafe4 as they have some great food and punch bowls to pregame (Café 4). They used to take reservation but have not this year due to staffing shortages.

Another favorite that is a chain but do take reservations is Tupelo Honey.

Once downtown the walk is not bad. At our walking speed it is 15-25 minutes depending on if we are heading straight inside stadium or to the Vol Walk/Village. The walk has very small inclines if you take the correct path. The car traffic flow from Downtown back to the interstate is also simple.

From downtown walking:

• Take Clinch Ave from downtown and make sure you use the bridge that crosses Henley.
  • If you are heading straight to stadium, make a Left onto 12th street. This will take you to the pedestrian bridge that crosses Cumberland. Once at the end of the bridge, you can make another left and end up beside Tickle Engineering and there is a gate to get into the stadium.
  • If you are heading to Vol Walk, continue on Clinch and make a left onto James Agee St or 16th street. Just depends on where you are headed on campus.

I agree with last post

Parking in downtown garages is free on weekends but this season one has to get there pretty early to take advantage of that. If you can get to downtown a bit earlier, you can get a very good lunch at several places like Stock & Barrel or Tupelo Honey (for breakfast especially)

Then you can hang out for a while. Shop. See a movie at Regal Cinema or even walk the few blocks to campus. Shuttle bus service is available from downtown near Market Square or near Old City. If you have old, fat, old/fat or out-of-shape people, then the shuttle will work.

The strip is too nice now. I mess the junky strip with ugly parking lots to tailgate in. :)

I like the Old City. The Jig & Reel being a personal favorite and the shuttle service is there as well with some limited free parking under James White Parkway. You can actually walk to Neyland from the Old City pretty easily on Central Avenue as it's quite level and ends at Neyland. It is a bit of a pain walking back. I've NEVER had a bad meal at the Jig & Reel. The William Wallace Burger, the Bangers and Mash, etc. Add in the unlimited scotch choices and you may not want to go to game.

I love Stock & Barrel but I'd put the William Wallace burger against their stuff any day

I agree with last post

Parking in downtown garages is free on weekends but this season one has to get there pretty early to take advantage of that. If you can get to downtown a bit earlier, you can get a very good lunch at several places like Stock & Barrel or Tupelo Honey (for breakfast especially)

Then you can hang out for a while. Shop. See a movie at Regal Cinema or even walk the few blocks to campus. Shuttle bus service is available from downtown near Market Square or near Old City. If you have old, fat, old/fat or out-of-shape people, then the shuttle will work.

The strip is too nice now. I mess the junky strip with ugly parking lots to tailgate in. :)

I like the Old City. The Jig & Reel being a personal favorite and the shuttle service is there as well with some limited free parking under James White Parkway. You can actually walk to Neyland from the Old City pretty easily on Central Avenue as it's quite level and ends at Neyland. It is a bit of a pain walking back. I've NEVER had a bad meal at the Jig & Reel. The William Wallace Burger, the Bangers and Mash, etc. Add in the unlimited scotch choices and you may not want to go to game.

I love Stock & Barrel but I'd put the William Wallace burger against their stuff any day
I wished people would quit telling people that about free parking.

Reactions: fryeguy93

VN Store

Back