Gators DLine Depth is just fine....

Abeachvol

Florida Gators face defensive line problems - 08/20/2008 - MiamiHerald.com

GAINESVILLE -- UF FACING DEFENSIVE LINE PROBLEMS

With only three starting spots solidified on the defensive line, the Gators might use more defensive sets this fall that don't feature four players up front.

Junior Jermaine Cunningham and sophomore Carlos Dunlap are the projected starters at end, and redshirt sophomore Lawrence Marsh is beating out junior transfer Troy Epps at nose tackle.

The fourth spot on the defensive line is leaving a lot to be desired, however.

''That's one issue still to be resolved,'' coach Urban Meyer said Wednesday.

If using only three linemen, Meyer said the defense probably would have a fifth defensive back, although the Gators could put a fourth linebacker on the field instead.

''Matching personnel nowadays with three down lineman is something that's real good,'' defensive line coach Dan McCarney said. ``Our three-down linemen package I think is really good and complex and we can do a lot of things out of it.''

The issue with the other defensive tackle position came when expected starter Matt Patchan sprained his pectoral muscle.

Patchan, a freshman, won the job during spring camp but has not participated in full contact drills this fall.

Coaches said there is still a chance he could play in the season opener against Hawaii.

-- PHIL KEGLER

Considering their lack of depth in the secondary, I can't imagine a 5 db defensive set would work in their favor. Urban and Charlie would certainly know better than I, however.

3-4 could be interesting...though I doubt it's anything more than talk at this point.

I'm anxious to see how good Carlos Dunlap can be for them at end.

Considering their lack of depth in the secondary, I can't imagine a 5 db defensive set would work in their favor. Urban and Charlie would certainly know better than I, however.

3-4 could be interesting...though I doubt it's anything more than talk at this point.

He's fast and athletic. Kinda in the jevon kearse mold. He looked good in their spring game.

It looks like they have more serious issues on D than I realized...

We know they are thin in the secondary...a group that wasn't very good last year to begin with...

Now it turns out that they are so thin on the DL that they might have to use a 3-4?

So...if the secondary is a weakness and the DL is a weakness then logic says the load is going to fall on the LB's....and I haven't heard that any of them are special other than Spikes....

This years game could be a real shootout

they run a 3-4 and we'll definitely be able to run the football.

I would think with their O, they would prefer to disallow the running game and give up some big plays so they can keep Tebow on the field and wear down some defenses.

Anything they do that lets teams shorten games on them is just stupid. That's why I seriously doubt the 3-4 talk.

I would think with their O, they would prefer to disallow the running game and give up some big plays so they can keep Tebow on the field and wear down some defenses.

Anything they do that lets teams shorten games on them is just stupid. That's why I seriously doubt the 3-4 talk.
:thumbsup:agreed. i don't think they have anyone in the middle that could effectively stuff the run in a 3-4.

VN Store

Back