GEN Bob Neyland Silver Anniversary Picture

The General is smirking at us all thinking "hmph, not good enough."

Seriously, great pic. Thanks for posting.:thumbsup:

143-23-11, and that’s with two WWII-depleted squads in ’47 and ’48.

It’s always good to show the youngsters what happened when their granddads and great granddads were young. UT didn’t become one of the best football schools by chance. There was an all-time great at the helm.

Reactions: 1 person
When I was stationed at West Point as an instructor, I went up to the new Army Athletics Hall of Fame by the football stadium to visit GEN Neyland's display. Made me proud to know that he is so closely associated with UT. He's not just a football legend, he was a man who served his Nation proudly and well during WW II (and before).

Reactions: 4 people
in no way am I comparing Butch Jones to The General, but I think it's pretty interesting and cool how similar they look. hopefully, CBJ ends up being just as good aS the general.

Reactions: 2 people
Wow, he was awesome BEFORE he came to Knoxville:

Player Bio: Robert Reese Neyland Jr.

Robert Reese Neyland Jr.

Baseball/Boxing/Football

Army's career leader in pitching victories, Bob Neyland authored a 35-5 record during his West Point career. Listed second among the Black Knights' all-time leaders in winning percentage (.875), Neyland won 20 consecutive games during one stretch in the "Black, Gold and Gray." He also fired the first no-hitter in Army history when he blanked Colgate in 1914.

An undefeated heavyweight boxing champion for three years running in the Corps of Cadets (1914-16), Neyland also lettered in football and was a member of Army's undefeated 1914 club.

After graduating near the top of his class in 1916, Neyland returned to West Point in 1921 as an aide to Gen. Douglas MacArthur, then Commanding General at the Academy. He also assisted in coaching football, baseball and boxing at that time before assuming duties as head football coach at the University of Tennessee in 1925. During a legendary 21-year coaching career in Knoxville, he compiled an overall record of 173-31-12. Today, the Volunteers' football stadium is named in his honor.

Inducted into the inaugural Hall of Fame class at West Point: Sixteen Elected to Inaugural Class of Army Sports Hall of Fame

Reactions: 3 people
When I was stationed at West Point as an instructor, I went up to the new Army Athletics Hall of Fame by the football stadium to visit GEN Neyland's display. Made me proud to know that he is so closely associated with UT. He's not just a football legend, he was a man who served his Nation proudly and well during WW II (and before).

Since you brought up his military career, I'd like to point out to others (I assume you already know all this) that he was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal, The Legion of Merit, and was even made a member of the Order of the British Empire. It would've been easy to accidentally overlook his work in wars the size and cope of WWI and WWII but he was simply THAT good at what he did.

He demanded excellence from himself in everything he did and demanded it from those he worked with. We'd all be fortunate if we had half the ambition and desire for excellence he possessed.

Oh and shout out to you and the 1st Cav. from the child of a 101er. 1st Cav. = the only ones on equal footing with the Screaming Eagles. :)

I had a chance to go to the Army Athletics Hall of Fame when I visited my Grandson on Parents Day. I got to see The Generals writeup and there seem to be more about his tenure as Coach at Tennessee than about his great service in both wws. There si unreal history found at West Point. You cannot believe who have gone there. For instance Edger Allen Poe got kicked out. I read the hand written eviction notice among other famous letters. The Army believes in Great Men like Neyland.

Go Big Orange.!!!!!

Since you brought up his military career, I'd like to point out to others (I assume you already know all this) that he was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal, The Legion of Merit, and was even made a member of the Order of the British Empire. It would've been easy to accidentally overlook his work in wars the size and cope of WWI and WWII but he was simply THAT good at what he did.

He demanded excellence from himself in everything he did and demanded it from those he worked with. We'd all be fortunate if we had half the ambition and desire for excellence he possessed.

Oh and shout out to you and the 1st Cav. from the child of a 101er. 1st Cav. = the only ones on equal footing with the Screaming Eagles. :)

General Neyland's service record was certainly distinguished. This is part of what separates him from most other sports figures. He wasn't just a football guy. He was a leader and a teacher. His record shows that he was successful on the field ... and his time in uniform was just another side of the same coin.

And, yes, I'm a proud member of the 1st Cavalry Division. I recently completed a 3-year stint in the division, serving as the S3 and XO for 4-9 CAV and, for the past year, as the XO for 2nd Brigade ("Black Jack"). Great times with a great unit!

I had a chance to go to the Army Athletics Hall of Fame when I visited my Grandson on Parents Day. I got to see The Generals writeup and there seem to be more about his tenure as Coach at Tennessee than about his great service in both wws. There si unreal history found at West Point. You cannot believe who have gone there. For instance Edger Allen Poe got kicked out. I read the hand written eviction notice among other famous letters. The Army believes in Great Men like Neyland.

Go Big Orange.!!!!!

When I was a cadet years ago, I (like pretty much all cadets) didn't take the time to really look at the history around me. It wasn't until after I graduated that I really was able to appreciate it all. Serving in units like the 3rd Infantry Division, 3-7 CAV, the 4th Infantry Division, and 1st Cavalry Division (all units with an incredible history) helped guide me back to what the Academy really stands for, and has always stood for, in this country.

Being a Tennessean is part of that pride, too. The very name of our team, "The Volunteers," has meaning that few other schools can rival. We have a history of joining the fight ... from the Revolution, the War of 1812, the Texas War of Independence, the Civil War, etc., etc. I have a great print called "Years of Volunteers" showing a lot of that history (with the image of General Neyland prominently in the middle of it all!) That's why I am so proud of being a Volunteer! It's more than just football.

Reactions: 5 people
Neyland: The Gridiron General: Robert Gilbert: 9780932958105: Amazon.com: Books

click on the link. It is a must read for any true UT fan.

As a cadet at the University of Tennessee in the late '90's it was brought to my attention that what became the University of Tennessee was an all male military school well before West Point was even in existence. That was always a point of pride when I had the opportunity to train with guys from "the point".

Few realize that back in the day there were serious disagreements as to who was the greatest athlete ever (all-time, anywhere). It was between two - Jim Thorpe and Bob Neyland.

This is just awesome, reading all this history about the Great General Neyland.....
Thanks for all the info....:hi:

VN Store

Back