Georgia Player Gets 45 Days In Jail

Give him SIX!

And people say that PF should clean house?

ATHENS, Ga. (AP) -- Georgia defensive tackle Darrius Swain was sentenced to 45 days in jail for repeated driver's license violations, and began serving the term immediately.

Swain also was ordered Tuesday by Clarke County Judge Kay Giese to spend 40 hours in community service.

Swain was arrested Saturday night and charged with driving with a suspended license and following too closely. It was his third arrest for driving with a suspended license in the last two years.

Georgia coach Mark Richt said Swain would be disciplined internally but would not be suspended for any games.

"With the time in confinement, Darrius is paying a heavy price for his license violations," Richt said. "Hopefully he has learned an important lesson."

I don't know about Georgia, but in Virginia if you get caught driving on a suspended license, it is a felony. 3 of them and I think you are in jail for 1 to 3 years.

Yeah, Virginia is pretty psycho about traffic laws, not that I disagree with their suspended license policy.

I don't know, I think a felony for driving on a suspended license is way too much. A felony on your record can pretty much ruin you life. I say keep the felonies for the really bad stuff and find another way to do the license thing. Having to go to the DMV and deal with all the incompetent DMV employees is punishment enough.

Of course Richt is not going to suspend him for games. He's not going to even miss any practice time, he'll be out of jail by the start of August practices.

For anyone here to think Richt should suspend this guy for a game....give me a break.

We may rail UGA all we want but if this had happened here, the player wouldn't be suspended either.

The guy is an idiot who made a stupid mistake but to suspend him for a game is a bit harsh.

Only thing i can add to the rest of the comments is "maybe" it's not an UT situation!

We just get all the bad press, Bammers and coaches with visors have nothing much else to do but worry about someone else's players actions...

The insurance rates that he'll have to pay for the next 3-5 years alone should be punishment enough.

The guy is an idiot who made a stupid mistake but to suspend him for a game is a bit harsh.

I agree...would someone please tell this kid to catch a cab. From what I heard they are even talking about moving him closer to campus so that he has absolutley no excuse to drive. What an embarrassment to our program.

Originally posted by IBleedOrange24/7@May 11, 2005 7:46 PM

"and coaches with visors"

:dlol:
I've heard him described many ways but that's a new one to me!
Thanks for the laugh this morning!

Hey Fadeproof, what kind of player is this kid a starter of bench warmer? And do you agree with him not getting suspended?

What he did was irresponsible, but let's be fair here . . . Do you really think this should constitute a suspension? I mean, come on. We are talking about whether to suspend a player due to their driving record. :bad:

Originally posted by GAVol@May 12, 2005 12:36 PM
What he did was irresponsible, but let's be fair here . . . Do you really think this should constitute a suspension? I mean, come on. We are talking about whether to suspend a player due to their driving record. :bad:

If he did it once, no.

THREE TIMES is a bit excessive. It shows he has a lack for rules and a lack for authority. He should be taught through the vehicle of his college football coach, that if you do not follow society's rules that you will have your rights (football) taken away.

Originally posted by Fadeproof@May 12, 2005 9:37 AM

I agree...would someone please tell this kid to catch a cab. From what I heard they are even talking about moving him closer to campus so that he has absolutley no excuse to drive. What an embarrassment to our program.

Maybe you guys need to start a Driver's Ed. program down there. Maybe you could even get credits for it. Hey! If it works, let us know. We need something to help us with that new grading system. ;)

Originally posted by OldVol+May 12, 2005 1:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (OldVol @ May 12, 2005 1:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Fadeproof@May 12, 2005 9:37 AM

Maybe you guys need to start a Driver&#39;s Ed. program down there. Maybe you could even get credits for it. Hey&#33; If it works, let us know. We need something to help us with that new grading system. ;) [/quote]
:lolup: That&#39;s a good thought. A Drivers Ed course would do wonders for our APR.

Forgive me for asking, but why did he have a "suspended" license?

My 2 cents: I personally think FORTY-FIVE days in jail is a helluva lot more excessive than suspending a kid for a football game. If I asked any of you: would you rather go to jail for a month and a half, or miss watching the UT/UAB game, who would choose option 1?

Don&#39;t answer that unless you know who the "Tossed Salad Man" is.

Well, the sentence is not completely for the driving citations. This may not be exactly right, but I think Swain has a previous criminal charge for which he received probation. That&#39;s why the multiple driving with a suspended license violations have turned into 45 days in jail.

Hey Fadeproof, what kind of player is this kid a starter of bench warmer? And do you agree with him not getting suspended?

He was a highly recruited player that has never lived up to his potential and struggles controlling his weight and personal life. He is a backup that gets decent playing time and with the proper motivation could be great. He was penciled in to start for Kedrick Golston in the BSU game at DT.

Well, the sentence is not completely for the driving citations. This may not be exactly right, but I think Swain has a previous criminal charge for which he received probation. That&#39;s why the multiple driving with a suspended license violations have turned into 45 days in jail.

This is all due to him getting caught driving with a suspended license 3 times. After the second offense he was placed on probation. This 3rd offense broke his probation therefore placing him in jail. I just don&#39;t get it...CATCH A CAB or get a ride with a friend. I dont agree with suspending players from games for their driving records (unless it&#39;s DUI, vehicular homicite, etc.) plus I think CMR will definatley have this kid doing some extra running and community service. It really is sad to see a kid with so much potential just trying to throw his life away. I hope people close to him can talk some sense into him.

Originally posted by Fadeproof@May 12, 2005 4:35 PM

This is all due to him getting caught driving with a suspended license 3 times. After the second offense he was placed on probation. This 3rd offense broke his probation therefore placing him in jail. I just don&#39;t get it...CATCH A CAB or get a ride with a friend. I dont agree with suspending players from games for their driving records (unless it&#39;s DUI, vehicular homicite, etc.) plus I think CMR will definatley have this kid doing some extra running and community service. It really is sad to see a kid with so much potential just trying to throw his life away. I hope people close to him can talk some sense into him.

So the jail time is unrelated to any previous problems?? If so, 45 days seems pretty stiff.

That video clip is still hillarious&#33; You got any of Smokey biting a Georgia player?

Thanks I think its great. No I dont think I have ever seen smokey lunge at any opposing players. I will look and see if I can find one though.

So the jail time is unrelated to any previous problems?? If so, 45 days seems pretty stiff.

Thats the indication that I have been recieving. I think 45 days is about right after getting arrested for the 2nd offense and then getting put on probation and promising a judge that it wouldn&#39;t happen again. Then getting caught a month later.

VN Store

Back