Georgia State hires Bill Curry

Apparently one of his favorite character building exercises is to have his teams lose excessively.

It doesn't help that he learned most of his offensive schemes before the advent of the forward pass.

It doesn't help that he learned most of his offensive schemes before the advent of the forward pass.
True . . . After all, this is the guy that brought in Tim Couch and said "Hey, let's run the option".

All kidding aside though, a 1AA program in downtown Atlanta with relaxed academic requirements could be a force. Even if all they get borderline kids from DeKalb and Fulton County, they could be pretty good pretty fast.

The real upside to this development: No more Bill Curry on ESPN and the duece!

Don't get me wrong...he is a really nice guy. If there is a perfect football coaching job for Bill Curry this is it. If he was a little more aggressive I would honestly think he could make a decent AD somewhere.

I agree. I've met him a couple of times and he is a complete gentleman, but he is annoying as hell in the announcer's booth.

As a Ga State alum, I have to say that this is a great hire. He was the logical choice with ties to the area. I guess it was either him or Jerry Glanville. :birgits_giggle:

I agree. I've met him a couple of times and he is a complete gentleman, but he is annoying as hell in the announcer's booth.

As a Ga State alum, I have to say that this is a great hire. He was the logical choice with ties to the area. I guess it was either him or Jerry Glanville. :birgits_giggle:

I've had an opportunity to speak with him several times. What you see is what you get with Curry.

Kudos to Georgia St. They could have done much much worse. And it does get Curry off ESPN.

There may not be another school like GSU in the south - a true downtown, urban school in a large city. The one GSU building I saw there actually reminded me of NYU. Bet it would be fun to go there, as long as you lived in the dorms or could afford downtown ATL. Otherwise it would probably suck having to drive downtown every day.

I thought I heard Dan Reaves is also on board at GSU. Is this true?

Yes as a consultant.....

Former Atlanta Falcons coach Dan Reeves, who has served as a consultant for Georgia State for 14 months, was the first choice as McElroy sought a coach with strong name recognition.

Reeves said that he, like Curry, still has a desire to coach, but he said he thought Georgia State needed leadership from someone with experience as a college coach.

"It's not like I didn't think about it from the start," Reeves said. "I didn't think it would be fair to Georgia State.

"I told Mary early if you can get Bill Curry, it's a slam dunk."

Added Reeves: "My heart and soul is coaching in pro football. ... If an opportunity came in pro football I would be excited about that."

Reeves said he will continue to raise money for the new program.

The Associated Press: Curry accepts 5-year deal as Georgia State's first coach

There may not be another school like GSU in the south - a true downtown, urban school in a large city. The one GSU building I saw there actually reminded me of NYU. Bet it would be fun to go there, as long as you lived in the dorms or could afford downtown ATL. Otherwise it would probably suck having to drive downtown every day.

The "dorms" at GSU are up near Ga Tech. 90% of the school commutes.

Does this mean he's off Mike and Mike with his weekly apperance? I hope so.

I heard him on there this past week and he was talking about taking this job and how excited him was in that mono-tone voice he has. I just don't see Bill Curry getting nasty on the practice field or putting the fear of God in any player.

Does this mean he's off Mike and Mike with his weekly apperance? I hope so.

I heard him on there this past week and he was talking about taking this job and how excited him was in that mono-tone voice he has. I just don't see Bill Curry getting nasty on the practice field or putting the fear of God in any player.

you don't have to in order to be a good coach

Been to UAB? I guess it's questionable if Birmingham is large city (metro = 1 million) but UAB is right downtown.

Not sure if USF's campus is in downtown Tampa or not but it might qualify as well.

Bama fans hate Bill Curry. I'd love to see Ga State get on the Tide schedule and go all La. Monroe on them :)

Can't believe I missed this thread. One of my best friends and neighbors is a Ph.D. student at GA State, so I'm going to jump on the bandwagon right with him. (Until they're 1-A, that is, at which point screw you.) Curry's a great hire to raise funds, raise awareness, and just generally get the whole thing moving along.

GAVol is exactly right. Easy academics + Atlanta = a heck of a lot of potential. Some success within the first few years, and the Sun Belt will be calling. And at that point it's about eyeballs and television. It's no bigger a longshot to relevancy than South Florida had, that's for sure.

I've missed him calling NFL games for a long time now. He was unique in the booth.

VN Store

Back