Gerald Riggs

7IlikeOrange7

Gr8 2 B A TENNESSEE VOL
i heard sketchy rumors today of gerald riggs not being eligible because of grades. Can anyone clarify this??????

If that was even close to being a legit concern, it would be plastered every which way over every Vol message board.

Id read his grades may be questionable, from a post on here some while back.

I wouldnt read much into it.

Not sure where this/that rumor is comming from? If there was more to truth to it, the media would have nailed it. IMO

According to recent threads, he has to get his grades up this summer, or he will not be eligible. Not sure of the credibility of that, however.

I heard the same thing but I'd say if there was more truth to it, Phil would have come out and said it, or like Milo and IBleedOrange said, the media would have nailed it and it would be all over every Vols message board out there. Let's hope its not true though because if it is that is a waste of pure talent.

I'm not saying that losing Riggs wouldn't hurt, but we have more than enough great talent at RB ready to step in if Riggs can't play. So even if he can't play, I am still not particularly worried about it.

Even "if" he is not eligible because of grades we have talent at the RB position! or we could just air it out to the best set of WR's in the country :D

Originally posted by Vols4life@Jul 19, 2005 1:33 PM
Even "if" he is not eligible because of grades we have talent at the RB position! or we could just air it out to the best set of WR's in the country  :D
[snapback]115882[/snapback]​

not that i dont agree but i saw in some college football preseason magazine where it broke downwhich teams had the best players per group... we were even in the top 10 for recieving corps.. we did have the #1 d-line however but i thought it was very ironic that we werent in the top ten because i think we are easily the 2nd or 3rd best. In my opinion to make a title run we need gerald riggs. someone else not very experienced would have to make major strides and that very rarily happens

Originally posted by 7IlikeOrange7@Jul 19, 2005 3:03 PM
not that i dont agree but i saw in some college football preseason magazine where it broke downwhich teams had the best players per group... we were even in the top 10 for recieving corps.. we did have the #1 d-line however but i thought it was very ironic that we werent in the top ten because i think we are easily the 2nd or 3rd best.  In my opinion to make a title run we need gerald riggs.  someone else not very experienced would have to make major strides and that very rarily happens
[snapback]115986[/snapback]​

ditto. i think that it would hurt our chances of wining it all if we didn't have him.

IF those rumors are true....DUH! it WILL hurt you guys as a team, theres a reason hes starting ahead of all those other RB's.....HES BETTER, to say, " oh who cares, hes only all-conf and a preseason heisman pick, no biggie, well take our backup, pick up the sticks and do just fine" is foolish. You would be a worse team, how worse, depends on how well your backups step up and deliver, but riggs is a helluva player, one who any team can not afford to lose.

I heard from a very good source that the rumors are true. HOWEVER, I think at this point it looks like he is going to be ok. Of course he didn't get to go home for the summer, he had to stay here and work on his grades but it looks like he will pull it off.

Originally posted by 7IlikeOrange7@Jul 19, 2005 5:03 PM
not that i dont agree but i saw in some college football preseason magazine where it broke downwhich teams had the best players per group... we were even in the top 10 for recieving corps.. we did have the #1 d-line however but i thought it was very ironic that we werent in the top ten because i think we are easily the 2nd or 3rd best.  In my opinion to make a title run we need gerald riggs.  someone else not very experienced would have to make major strides and that very rarily happens
[snapback]115986[/snapback]​

You mean Like the strides Jamal Lewis made?

Originally posted by GatorVille@Jul 19, 2005 3:13 PM
IF those rumors are true....DUH! it WILL hurt you guys as a team, theres a reason hes starting ahead of all those other RB's.....HES BETTER, to say, " oh who cares, hes only all-conf and a preseason heisman pick, no biggie, well take our backup, pick up the sticks and do just fine" is foolish.  You would be a worse team, how worse, depends on how well your backups step up and deliver, but riggs is a helluva player, one who any team can not afford to lose.
[snapback]116030[/snapback]​

I'm not saying it wouldn't hurt, but it wouldn't destroy our season either. I would like to have Riggs start, obviously, but if he were to miss the season I don't think you'd see too many Vol fans running around screaming the sky is falling.

I would think we would've heard something by this late in the game if there was a problem. Not sure Riggs would be sticking around if his season ws over before it started. Stranger things have happened tho. In any event, before the season starts you never know who your "breakout" player of the year will be. It's never as simple as it seems. :question:

A friend told me that he heard something about his grades on a sports talk radio show!!! So it must have some truth to it!

Originally posted by Vol67@Jul 19, 2005 3:56 PM
Its typical Riggs off-season troubles.
[snapback]115979[/snapback]​

This is true. It's nothing new from him. I again expect him to be on the field. He seems to like to push the limits.

Riggs is lazy and that is why he had to have good work for both sessions of summer school.

Originally posted by GatorVille@Jul 19, 2005 6:13 PM
IF those rumors are true....DUH! it WILL hurt you guys as a team, theres a reason hes starting ahead of all those other RB's.....HES BETTER, to say, " oh who cares, hes only all-conf and a preseason heisman pick, no biggie, well take our backup, pick up the sticks and do just fine" is foolish.  You would be a worse team, how worse, depends on how well your backups step up and deliver, but riggs is a helluva player, one who any team can not afford to lose.
[snapback]116030[/snapback]​

There are only 2 other teams in the SEC as deep as UT at RB and those are UGA and LSU

VN Store

Back