Getting Over the Hump

VolFann9

Besides coaching and poor management, UT's biggest problem during the decade of dysfunction was a lack of elite QB and WR play (see Hooker + Hyatt). The most talented group during that era was probably Bray with Darick Rogers, J Hunter, and C Patterson. It's a shame they all 3 didn't play together, which brings me to my next point. During that decade, UT had too many low character individuals. Leadership matters. Joshua Dobbs almost drug us to Atlanta, but was overcome by his head coach.

In my opinion, Rick Barnes has demonstrated that, now more than ever, it's important to build it the right way. Every player is a flight risk and every team in danger with the current rules. Bama could feasibly go 8-4 next year which seemed unfathomable one month ago. A little bit of the shine is already wearing off Lane's touted transfer class. You get the point. Nico, Merklinger, and George are high character individuals who give us the most stable QB room in the SEC. Reminds me of when Clemson had Watson & Trevor Lawrence back to back.

I firmly believe we are in one of the golden eras of UT athletics. I know you hear it all the time, but enjoy it while you got it.

Besides coaching and poor management, UT's biggest problem during the decade of dysfunction was a lack of elite QB and WR play (see Hooker + Hyatt). The most talented group during that era was probably Bray with Darick Rogers, J Hunter, and C Patterson. It's a shame they all 3 didn't play together, which brings me to my next point. During that decade, UT had too many low character individuals. Leadership matters. Joshua Dobbs almost drug us to Atlanta, but was overcome by his head coach.

In my opinion, Rick Barnes has demonstrated that, now more than ever, it's important to build it the right way. Every player is a flight risk and every team in danger with the current rules. Bama could feasibly go 8-4 next year which seemed unfathomable one month ago. A little bit of the shine is already wearing off Lane's touted transfer class. You get the point. Nico, Merklinger, and George are high character individuals who give us the most stable QB room in the SEC. Reminds me of when Clemson had Watson & Trevor Lawrence back to back.

I firmly believe we are in one of the golden eras of UT athletics. I know you hear it all the time, but enjoy it while you got it.
Um, did I miss something in this? All football except Rick Barnes being mentioned. What does he have to do with any of this?

Um, did I miss something in this? All football except Rick Barnes being mentioned. What does he have to do with any of this?

Think OP was saying Heupel, just like Barnes, is building a team full of leaders and men with integrity who are going to give their all, put a good face for the University, keep their nose clean, and it'll lead to team unity and hopefully championships. Think he was just using Barnes teams as an example of how to build a unit without adding questionable players or those that are "all about me" and look good in the short term, but become a cancer at some point in their 4 years.

Joshua Dobbs almost drug us to Atlanta, but was overcome by his head coach...A very true statement...
I have tried really hard to overcome my bad feelings and wishes on our coaches post Fulmer. I hated Kiffin and laughed when he got fired the way he did at USC, D Dooley was more concerned about how to shower then how to beat UK with a back up receiver as QB, even still, I wander if DD had hired ANYONE other than Sal Sunseri (sp) as DC his last year, I really think the Vols win at least 3 more games and he extends his contract a few years.

Now, Butch Jones. I really didn’t hate him when he got fired. I thought he was over his head as a head coach and should be recruiting coordinator somewhere. THEN the a hole has the audacity to get a pic with a cigar in his mouth post Bama the year after he left the crap show in Knoxville. For that he will always be a BIG PIECE of S—T and frankly I hope he never wins another game as HC. I can’t even hate on JP as much even though JP will always be a bammer.

I have tried really hard to overcome my bad feelings and wishes on our coaches post Fulmer. I hated Kiffin and laughed when he got fired the way he did at USC, D Dooley was more concerned about how to shower then how to beat UK with a back up receiver as QB, even still, I wander if DD had hired ANYONE other than Sal Sunseri (sp) as DC his last year, I really think the Vols win at least 3 more games and he extends his contract a few years.

Now, Butch Jones. I really didn’t hate him when he got fired. I thought he was over his head as a head coach and should be recruiting coordinator somewhere. THEN the a hole has the audacity to get a pic with a cigar in his mouth post Bama the year after he left the crap show in Knoxville. For that he will always be a BIG PIECE of S—T and frankly I hope he never wins another game as HC. I can’t even hate on JP as much even though JP will always be a bammer.

Agree. My perception for Jones went down after that moment. The key being that he celebrated Alabama beating HIS PLAYERS. You just don't do that.

Pruitt was a disaster too.

LaL
Leadership and Loyalty?
PaP
Patience and Professionalism?
Nothing at all except coaching continuity and superior results at the same university?
Is it possible that success fosters success in most organizations?
Could HE be a symptom, an example, or maybe fire all of them because despite athletics departmental performance, it isn't perfect. Losses can't be tolerated?!?
It's off season. NIL shuffle gets boring.

Agree, especially about Dobbs, if he had a real coach, he would have been Great!!!

Reactions: Ratvol

It is my belief we went downhill when Butch fired his strength coach and Hamilton blocked Butch from spending the necessary money to replace the guy we had. There was a noticeable difference in physicality the next year. Our boosters also picked him and his staff apart.

Apparently Butch was as only as good as his recruiting, his assistants and his ability to find new assistants. That’s kind of the story for most coaches, but not always. I.E. whoever runs our offense runs Huepel’s offense. The difference between Debord and Bajakian’s offenses makes it clear that Butch didn’t really own his offense.

So, yes, his players had everything to do with his success. As did the assistant coaches he began with. But apparently his black book he spoke of was nowhere near deep as what he made it out to be.

We have had worse coaches. Dooley, Peanut and then Butch. I truly think Butch gets 10 wins and the SEC East with the same players and coaches he had in the beginning during the the year we stunned Georgia and began the season in 5-0, and perhaps the year after.

That is why I have said our boosters need to lay off Heupel. Our passing defense was ranked more than twice as high this last year as it was the year before and Martinez was turning one of our worst DBs in Hadden into one of the best DBs in the league. He had the lowest passer rating allowed in all of CFB through the game he got hurt.

Our overall defense improved yet again. I think we had almost twice as many sacks. Our OL struggled, but Mays wasn’t 100% and was missing some games, Mincey was our vs FL along with Mays and well we lost Darnell Wright, who began to play up to his potential after a year under Erlabee. Yet boosters per Tony B are wanting Heupel to make a change there. Also saying he can’t recruit.

Then we turn around and land Heard. At this point, I think we need to keep things as they are. Unless we are horrible at those position groups next year, I think we stay the course.

Anyways, I’m off the point. Yes, I think Heupel is recruiting SMART, high character, highly talented guys and is fine with Mincey leaving. I can’t help but wonder if Heupel and Mincey had some conflict behind the scenes which led to Mincey transferring yet once again.

Last edited:
Reactions: OrangeTsar
It is my belief we went downhill when Butch fired his strength coach and Hamilton blocked Butch from spending the necessary money to replace the guy we had. There was a noticeable difference in physicality the next year. Our boosters also picked him and his staff apart.

Apparently Butch was as only as good as his recruiting, his assistants and his ability to find new assistants. That’s kind of the story for most coaches, but not always. I.E. whoever runs our offense runs Huepel’s offense. The difference between Debord and Bajakian’s offenses makes it clear that Butch didn’t really own his offense.

So, yes, his players had everything to do with his success. As did the assistant coaches he began with. But apparently his black book he spoke of was nowhere near deep as what he made it out to be.

We have had worse coaches. Dooley, Peanut and then Butch. I truly think Butch gets 10 wins and the SEC East with the same players and coaches he had in the beginning during the the year we stunned Georgia and began the season in 5-0, and perhaps the year after.

That is why I have said our boosters need to lay off Heupel. Our passing defense was ranked more than twice as high this last year as it was the year before and Martinez was turning one of our worst DBs in Hadden into one of the best DBs in the league. He had the lowest passer rating allowed in all of CFB through the game he got hurt.

Our overall defense improved yet again. I think we had almost twice as many sacks. Our OL struggled, but Mays wasn’t 100% and was missing some games, Mincey was our vs FL along with Mays and well we lost Darnell Wright, who began to play up to his potential after a year under Erlabee. Yet boosters per Tony B are wanting Heupel to make a change there. Also saying he can’t recruit.

Then we turn around and land Heard. At this point, I think we need to keep things as they are. Unless we are horrible at those position groups next year, I think we stay the course.

Anyways, I’m off the point. Yes, I think Heupel is recruiting SMART, high character, highly talented guys and is fine with Mincey leaving. I can’t help but wonder if Heupel and Mincey had some conflict behind the scenes which led to Mincey transferring yet once again.
The more the boosters are allowed to be involved in decisions, the worse the program will be. That is almost always the case
I realize it is likely difficult for most of the serious money boosters to write a check amd relinquish control. But, IMO, if they will stay out of the way, CJH and staff will continue with the progress they've started.

Agree with almost everything you said. I will disagree on QB and WR play though. Dooley had a great offense, so did Butch; players like Bray, Dobbs, Patterson, Hunter, Jennings, etc. Whole heartedly agree about the leadership aspect; Butch didn’t have it, didn’t understand how to cultivate it in the lockerroom.

It is my belief we went downhill when Butch fired his strength coach and Hamilton blocked Butch from spending the necessary money to replace the guy we had.
Hamilton had a pattern of doing that because he was a bean counter who never understood how to be an Athletics Director. So, the exact same thing can be said when Cutcliffe resigned as OC and Hamilton blocked Fulmer from spending the money necessary to hire a proven top-notch replacement. Due to limited funds, Fulmer was finally forced to settle for the coach of the Richmond Spiders. Hamilton was the daddy of that. What a mess.
After Fulmer, rather than hiring the best available head coaches, Hamilton always chased after "bargain basement" replacements. That's exactly what he got, and we got.

Reactions: vegasvolfan
Hamilton had a pattern of doing that because he was a bean counter who never understood how to be an Athletics Director. So, the exact same thing can be said when Cutcliffe resigned as OC and Hamilton blocked Fulmer from spending the money necessary to hire a proven top-notch replacement. Due to limited funds, Fulmer was finally forced to settle for the coach of the Richmond Spiders. Hamilton was the daddy of that. What a mess.
After Fulmer, rather than hiring the best available head coaches, Hamilton always chased after "bargain basement" replacements. That's exactly what he got, and we got.
Hamilton also thought he had hit a home run with Pearl. He thought he knew what good coaches were and wanted leave a legacy of his own. He didn't want anybody linked to UT's past. He did leave a legacy of showing ignorance in coaching hires.

The more the boosters are allowed to be involved in decisions, the worse the program will be. That is almost always the case
I realize it is likely difficult for most of the serious money boosters to write a check amd relinquish control. But, IMO, if they will stay out of the way, CJH and staff will continue with the progress they've started.
That is what made Saban’s run at Bama possible. He only took the job on the condition that the boosters keep their hands off the program and that he could run things as he saw fit. Too many cooks do indeed spoil the soup

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat

VN Store

Back