Goodness, I miss Coach Majors

Funny you bring this up. This year reminds me of 1985 more than any other year. We have a star QB who can throw interceptions but cover it up with more TD passes. We had a great defense with a white walk on safety that had record interceptions. A star DE, Dale Jones and a smothering defense.

If Alabama had not intentionally taken out Tony Robinson’s knee that team could have won a national championship.

Funny you bring this up. This year reminds me of 1985 more than any other year. We have a star QB who can throw interceptions but cover it up with more TD passes. We had a great defense with a white walk on safety that had record interceptions. A star DE, Dale Jones and a smothering defense.

If Alabama had not intentionally taken out Tony Robinson’s knee that team could have won a national championship.
If there had been a playoff, they might've won it anyway.

That's BS, nobody hates Alabama more than me but that was a clean tackle on T-Rob when ne was injured. You want to blame anything blame the artificial turf at Legion Field.

And besides we still won the game but tied Ga Tech the next week. We were ranked 16 going into the Tech game and fell 3 places to 19 for Rutgers, 19 for Tiger High, 18 for Ole Miss 16 for UK and 10 for Vandy.

The problem was after the Alabama game we didn't have a big name to pad our resume until the Sugar Bowl . We were 8 going into the game and as they say the rest is history. We jumped to #4 in the last poll behind 11-1 OU, 10-1-1 Michigan and 11-1 Penn State. No way we would have jumped them even if we had beaten Ga Tech.

Unfortuately as someone mentioned there was no SECCG or BCS in 85. We might very well have had the best team in 85 or certainly if we didn't we had the team playing the best ball. Where we really screwed up was blowing a 26-10 lead over UCLA with 5 minutes left at home.

That's BS, nobody hates Alabama more than me but that was a clean tackle on T-Rob when ne was injured. You want to blame anything blame the artificial turf at Legion Field.

And besides we still won the game but tied Ga Tech the next week. We were ranked 16 going into the Tech game and fell 3 places to 19 for Rutgers, 19 for Tiger High, 18 for Ole Miss 16 for UK and 10 for Vandy.

The problem was after the Alabama game we didn't have a big name to pad our resume until the Sugar Bowl . We were 8 going into the game and as they say the rest is history. We jumped to #4 in the last poll behind 11-1 OU, 10-1-1 Michigan and 11-1 Penn State. No way we would have jumped them even if we had beaten Ga Tech.

Unfortuately as someone mentioned there was no SECCG or BCS in 85. We might very well have had the best team in 85 or certainly if we didn't we had the team playing the best ball. Where we really screwed up was blowing a 26-10 lead over UCLA with 5 minutes left at home.
Oops, should have been under OneVols post:

"If Alabama had not intentionally taken out Tony Robinson’s knee that team could have won a national championship."

I misread his post, thought he said WOULD have won the NC instead of COULD have. Unfortunately at the time no way we could have overcome losing to Florida and tying UCLA early in the season/

He would be enjoying this as much as anyone. I would have loved to hear his takes and reactions. He was one of a kind.
I don't miss him handcuffing his players
Get a 2 TD lead and go into a shell
CJH subs for starters they still run the offense that starters ran that's how players get better real game experience....GO VOLS......

CJH subs for starters they still run the offense that starters ran that's how players get better real game experience....GO VOLS......
His coaching moves has nothing to do with it. And while I agree that a change needed to be made in 92(even though, it was dirty as hell, but the ends justified the means), Majors should still be loved.

He was a dude. I played in a celebrity golf tournament circa 2012 and Coach Majors was our celebrity. He was in his 70's but in good physical shape. He could hit the ball as well or better than us young guys, drink twice as much beer, entertain us with football stories, and schmooze the cart girls like Casanova. He became my hero that day.

His coaching moves has nothing to do with it. And while I agree that a change needed to be made in 92(even though, it was dirty as hell, but the ends justified the means), Majors should still be loved.
Well that's fine.....you Love him I can think of multiple things to love more than Coach Majors,.......Go Vols

Chris White was not a walk-on.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
Vol94 - you summed it up. Majors had an off the charts personality that there was no one like when he began coaching at Tennessee. You had Bear Bryant, Pat Dye, and Vince Dooley who were like watching paint dry. Then in Knoxville you had this:

Certainly appreciate all he did as a coach and player( i am one of the few on here that saw him play). But in the end he was hoisted on his own petard by his arrogance and narcissism. If you are the HC at UT you don't publicly call out your bosses when you have lost 7 in a row to Alabama, including more than a few when you had superior or equal talent.

Reactions: JohnWardForever
Certainly appreciate all he did as a coach and player( i am one of the few on here that saw him play). But in the end he was hoisted on his own petard by his arrogance and narcissism. If you are the HC at UT you don't publicly call out your bosses when you have lost 7 in a row to Alabama, including more than a few when you had superior or equal talent.

Unfortunately Majors thought He was above reproach.

Reactions: kptvol1452

VN Store

Back