GOP bill in FL seeks to ban kids under 16 from accessing or using social media

This seems decidedly anti-liberty. Like legit, Nazi level, authoritarian, government overreach.
Why is everything so extreme? Or, it’s just a stupid idea of something that falls under the heading of parental responsibility.

Don't like the idea of the state doing something like this, although I understand the desire to do something because of evidence social media is harmful to development of young people.

Last edited:
Don't like the idea of the state doing something like this, although I understand the desire to do something because of evidence social media is harmful to development of young people.
This. Social media is a main component of the mental health crisis with our youth. Tiki tok brain is legit

This. Social media is a main component of the mental health crisis with our youth. Tiki tok brain is legit
I agree! Could not agree more. I probably spend too much time on social media and 90% of it is here on VolNation. Mostly because it is (a) an area with the free exchange of ideas and (2) want to keep up with the Vols and what is going on in college football.

I just get queasy when the thought of the state gets involved with trying to ban things. I can see the state publicizing information about the detriments of something like this and making recommendations or even providing incentives for the desired behavior of staying off some of these platforms. But don't tell me I can't do it. In that case, it becomes "I didn't want to do it until you told me I couldn't."

I agree! Could not agree more. I probably spend too much time on social media and 90% of it is here on VolNation. Mostly because it is (a) an area with the free exchange of ideas and (2) want to keep up with the Vols and what is going on in college football.

I just get queasy when the thought of the state gets involved with trying to ban things. I can see the state publicizing information about the detriments of something like this and making recommendations or even providing incentives for the desired behavior of staying off some of these platforms. But don't tell me I can't do it. In that case, it becomes "I didn't want to do it until you told me I couldn't."
I viewed it like others have with alcohol, driving etc....have to dig deep in the language of the bill but surface level, I'm ok..it also limits pedos access to kids

Reactions: NEO
So a teen would be able to mutilate themselves but couldn't brag about it online? What's the point then?

I'm guessing this would have much bigger ramifications than the old, tech challenged politicians realize. Unless they specifically name sites then it would be unenforceable. Even if it passes in sure no kids will lie about their age when signing up.

This seems decidedly anti-liberty. Like legit, Nazi level, authoritarian, government overreach.
Your use of nazi shows you have absolutely zero clue what one actually is. You also water down the term to the point of being meaningless

We all know social media can be an extremely harmful medium for younger folks. Of course the last people you want making any kind of decision on this is the government.

Reactions: Pennheel
Yeah, nazi level was too much, but you get my point.
how did you feel about the federal government banning employees from having tiktok accounts?

its the same cause and result. social media is bad for certain groups of people, and some think a law will fix the issue.

;but like with most things this MAY be will intentioned but will lead to worse results. blocking them from the mainstream social media will just push them to other forums on the internet. and while choosing to duck and dodge government restraints they are going to naturally lean more towards less scrupulous sites. Also VPNs are pretty common.

Reactions: McDad

It is overreach and I don’t see it happening. It’s simply how a lot of kids communicate and get their information, right, wrong, misleading or otherwise.

Reactions: NashVol11

VN Store

Back