Greg McElroy - Tennessee's potential to be one of SEC's most 'dangerous' teams in 2024

VolTull

I think McElroy tries hard not to be a Bama homer.

And one of his angles to get there is talking well of Tennessee.

I also happen to think Greg is a significant fan of Josh Heupel's leadership skills and (to a slightly lesser extent) his offensive philosophy. Has been since Heupel was at UCF, iirc.

I also think he honestly believes the Vols are ready to step up to the next level and compete regularly for championships.

I happen to agree with him there. I think we're poised to take off.

And once we do, there ain't no stopping us for decades to come.

Go Vols!

I also happen to think Greg is a significant fan of Josh Heupel's leadership skills and (to a slightly lesser extent) his offensive philosophy. Has been since Heupel was at UCF, iirc.

I also think he honestly believes the Vols are ready to step up to the next level and compete regularly for championships.

Go Vols!
I’m torn on what to expect this season. On paper, we have more proven depth (outside of secondary) than we’ve had in a long time. I don’t want to get myself worked up, but I’d be disappointed with anything less than 9 wins. That would mean we’d have to drop a game outside of Oklahoma, Bama, and Georgia. I think Oklahoma and Bama are both coin toss games. Ceiling is 11 wins imo.

Go Vols!

A number of Bama's down here don't like him for that very reason. I try to tell them he works for the SECNW, he can't be just a Bama homer. He has to speak on all SEC teams. And yes I think he does as good a job as any on there at being neutral. Now off camera who knows. He is from Texas so not a home grown Bama fan. That may be part of it.

I’m torn on what to expect this season. On paper, we have more proven depth (outside of secondary) than we’ve had in a long time. I don’t want to get myself worked up, but I’d be disappointed with anything less than 9 wins. That would mean we’d have to drop a game outside of Oklahoma, Bama, and Georgia. I think Oklahoma and Bama are both coin toss games. Ceiling is 11 wins imo.

I believe that the OU game is anythibg but a coin flip.

They have:
Homefield advantage

We have:
A more experienced roster in general
A more experienced HC who is used to sitting in the big chair in the SEC by this point
Said HC who also has a chip on his shoulder against the home team and has shown he's not shy about scoring points.

Go Vols!
or.... maybe he just states the facts as he sees them?

Surprised by this. Wasn’t he pretty critical of Nico’s bowl performance? Anyway it’s always a good sign when a Bammer has to admit the team might be pretty good.

Reactions: ArdentVol

They have:
Homefield advantage

We have:
A more experienced HC who is used to sitting in the big chair in the SEC by this point
Said HC who also has a chip on his shoulder against the home team and has shown he's not shy about scoring points.
Going to do a schedule breakdown and game breakdown over the summer for the show, I have this as one of the two swing games for how the season could go. Good storylines to this one all around. Tennessee goes into that Bama game undefeated lookout. I think if we lose one before that it will be this game, not because the talent is not there, Heupel is 6-8 on the road since he has been here and going back to the South Carolina game in 2022 those games have not been terribly close. Alabama is really the only game you can point to since that Carolina game that has been close and we blew that game. It's going to be a fun season regardless!

Reactions: TennMan101
So I guess these positions really aren’t important OL
WR
RB
DL
LB
DBs
ST
Coaching

It’s just about the QB 🙄🙄

They have:
Homefield advantage

We have:
OU does have a more talented roster than we do

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
I am honestly worried about this game being on the road more than the talent deficit because I don't think that its that wide. Experience wise, maybe but the talent gap is not huge. I want to see Heupel put the road narrative to bed in this one. Outside of Georgia, this is the biggest road game of the year for Tennessee

I am honestly worried about this game being on the road more than the talent deficit because I don't think that its that wide. Experience wise, maybe but the talent gap is not huge. I want to see Heupel put the road narrative to bed in this one. Outside of Georgia, this is the biggest road game of the year for Tennessee
Yall forget what an elite Qb does and Nico has all the traits and perfect situation to be elite from week 1… I don’t think it’s a talent gap… UT has the best 2 players in Nico and JPJ and alot of talent all over the field on both sides and in the trenches… if we lose to OU it definitely won’t be a talent issue…

They have some pieces. Personally, I don't think Venables has really "proved it" as a HC yet honestly. They lost their OC and QB.

Granted, Nico only has one start but by the time Aug rolls around, he will have 20 months in the same system with basically the same offensive staff.

I really haven't watched Oklahoma much recently, so I don't know how developed Jackson Arnold is. He comes out blazing from day 1 like Mayfield, Murray, etc then yeah we could be in trouble.

Honestly, I think there's gonna be growing pains on both sides. First real test, the hype of the game, etc. I see a shootout coming, but right now my money's on the team with the HC who would savor drinking from the skulls of a defeated OU team. That could change before September of course, but that's the way I see it in late May anyway

Yall forget what an elite Qb does and Nico has all the traits and perfect situation to be elite from week 1… I don’t think it’s a talent gap… UT has the best 2 players in Nico and JPJ and alot of talent all over the field on both sides and in the trenches… if we lose to OU it definitely won’t be a talent issue…
Said as much, it’s minuscule if at all, but I’ve seen what Heupel does on the road just like everybody else has. I think we can go into Bama coming to town 5-0, but if Tennessee drops one, this will be it.

VN Store

Back