Gruver Dominates as Vols Blank Canisius, 4-0

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
After a stellar Opening Day start by junior Steven Gruver, the Vols were just looking for a repeat performance from the southpaw against Canisius on Friday. Instead, they got a seven-inning masterpiece in which he struck out a career-high 10 in leading the Tennessee baseball team (3-1) to its second shutout in the first four games of the season, 4-0, over the Griffins (3-2) on Friday afternoon at Lindsey Nelson Stadium in Knoxville.

More...

Discuss.

I never know how to feel about wins like these. I mean, I couldn't point out Canisius on a map if my life depended on it, so you figure a win of this caliber should be assured. for some reason in baseball, being a small town school doesn't seem to be as big of a detriment as in football or basketball. I don't know if it is the nature of the sport, or the huge role an individual (pitcher) plays in the outcome, but big underdogs seem to come up winning in baseball than other sports. I guess a win is a win, and I should be satisfied with that regardless of the opponent.

Gruver has had two solid outings and two shutouts.....Nice win, hope we can get another one tomorrow.

Another fantastic performance by Gruver, history repeats itself as the Vols again shut out their opponent with Gruver starting.
Gruver is showing with his actions he is a Vols leader as the Vols have had two fantastic wins in his first two starts both shut outs.
Duffy was terrific with more than one double. If they can win tommorow they would get to 4 wins faster than they did last year.

Gruver looks like the real deal. I wish at LNS they had a radar machine. Kid looks like he has a mean fastball.

VN Store

Back