"Herky" Payne to be Guest Speaker at UT Baseball Luncheon

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
The University of Tennessee baseball program will host its second luncheon of the season at noon on Thursday, April 22, in the Lindsey Nelson Stadium MVP Club Room. The first All-America selection in Volunteer history, Harold "Herky" Payne, will be the guest speaker.

More...

Discuss.

Wow. There is name I have not heard in awhile. I remember him in class like it was yesterday. "Put this in yer notes!!" & "Serious bidness"

Now those were fun time!!!

What up FREAK!!!!!

It is wonderful to have Herky as a speaker and to remember how great he was as a baseball player. Hopefully, I am not the only one old enough to remember what a tremendous football player he was. He was a Tennessee single-wing tailback on the 1951 National Championship team. Some won't remember him because the three years he lettered in football were the same three years that Lauricella lettered. But, as great as Lauricella was, he was not the best guy in the Orange Zone. Herky could play. It would be a nice tribute if both baseball and football fans turned out to hear him. This guy was a hero on the General's last great team.

Can't say I remember him in '51 but do remember him as a coach and teacher at FHS. He was one great story teller. I heard many stories of him playing at UT.

Wow. There is name I have not heard in awhile. I remember him in class like it was yesterday. "Put this in yer notes!!" & "Serious bidness"

Now those were fun time!!!

What up FREAK!!!!!

Not much here. What's going on with you?

Headed to Knoxville any time soon?

VN Store

Back