Heupel and improved recruiting

Shades

Shady member
Like many here, I like to look at the average recruit score over a year's recruiting class instead of the total composite score on 247Sports.

The past several to many national championship teams have had an average recruit score of 93-95, with an occasional 91 or 92. Except for 2016 Clemson (89 avg entire roster score), this has been true without exception in the past decade or more.

The Vols average recruit score over the past many years has hovered in the 85.9 to 90.9 range. Historically, just not enough depth of talent to take us to a championship.

Looks like Heupel has us on the right track though. His 2023 class was 90.9 and the 2024 class is looking to close in the 92-93 range (if we get almost any combination of the remaining players on EricVol's post on the Upcoming Targets Page, Running list of Tennessee targets planned commitment dates

Normally it takes a few years of recruiting in the 92-95 range to get the depth and talent necessary for a championship. Although 2024 will be our first year in that range in a long time, it is possible with Heupel's coaching that we get to a championship this year or next. However, if Heupel continues this trend, combined with good coaching, we should be in the mix for several years to come.

Historic graph for the Vols is below.

Things are looking much brighter. Go Vols.

1690047000992.png

Last edited:
Like many here, I like to look at the average recruit score over a year's recruiting class instead of the total composite score on 247Sports.

The past several to many national championship teams have had an average recruit score of 93-95, with an occasional 92. This has been true without exception.

The Vols average recruit score over the past many years has hovered in the 85.9 to 90.9 range. Historically, just not enough depth of talent to take us to a championship.

Looks like Heupel has us on the right track though. His 2023 class was 90.9 and the 2024 class is looking to close in the 92-93 range (if we get almost any combination of the remaining players on EricVol's post on the Upcoming Targets Page, Running list of Tennessee targets planned commitment dates

Normally it takes a few years of recruiting in the 92-95 range to get the depth and talent necessary for a championship. Although 2024 will be our first year in that range in a long time, it is possible with Heupel's coaching that we get there this year. However, if Heupel continues this trend, combined with good coaching, we should be in the mix for several years to come.

View attachment 564836
This kind of post is why VOLNATION was created. I love the info, keep it coming.🍊🍊🍊

The past several to many national championship teams have had an average recruit score of 93-95, with an occasional 92. This has been true without exception.

Normally it takes a few years of recruiting in the 92-95 range to get the depth and talent necessary for a championship. Although 2024 will be our first year in that range in a long time, it is possible with Heupel's coaching that we get there this year. However, if Heupel continues this trend, combined with good coaching, we should be in the mix for several years to come.

View attachment 564836
Great read thank you

Normally it takes a few years of recruiting in the 92-95 range to get the depth and talent necessary for a championship. Although 2024 will be our first year in that range in a long time, it is possible with Heupel's coaching that we get to a championship this year. However, if Heupel continues this trend, combined with good coaching, we should be in the mix for several years to come.

View attachment 564836

Can’t Close though

Great graph. Greatest recruiters recognize kids that have the heart and mentality to play such a agonizing and difficult game that is why so many highly ranked kids fail. We as fans take shots at kids and their play on field never realizing just how tough this level is. In CHRIST Alone

Normally it takes a few years of recruiting in the 92-95 range to get the depth and talent necessary for a championship. Although 2024 will be our first year in that range in a long time, it is possible with Heupel's coaching that we get to a championship this year or next. However, if Heupel continues this trend, combined with good coaching, we should be in the mix for several years to come.

View attachment 564836
Also, look at the Rivals average star rating. We sit at a 3.83 star average per player. The only two teams ahead of us right now in that category are Ohio State (3.94) and Georgia (3.88). Those that are just behind us in this category are aTm, Clemson, and Alabama. Running with the big dogs.

Take this for what it is worth. I was talking to a Rivals guy this past week. He runs the college website for rivals (not going to mention the school). Topic of convo was recruit ranking and he said it was all subjective and BS. It’s so funny that people put so much stock in these services.

guess that’s why the team with the most talent (highest ranked players) win national championships, idk.

In all seriousness, would be interesting to see if some players would be recruited differently if rankings weren’t a thing.

Wonder what it would be like if camps for 247, On3, Rivals, etc were completely gone and everyone just focused solely on film, wonder what the landscape would be like currently.

guess that’s why the team with the most talent (highest ranked players) win national championships, idk.

In all seriousness, would be interesting to see if some players would be recruited differently if rankings weren’t a thing.

Wonder what it would be like if camps for 247, On3, Rivals, etc were completely gone and everyone just focused solely on film, wonder what the landscape would be like currently.
It’s a wag the dog situation. I’m sorry you don’t understand it.

Reactions: 9876543vol
Take this for what it is worth. I was talking to a Rivals guy this past week. He runs the college website for rivals (not going to mention the school). Topic of convo was recruit ranking and he said it was all subjective and BS. It’s so funny that people put so much stock in these services.
Oh good. Now we can breathe easy all those top 3 classes from UGA won’t mean much 😊

Don’t comment on his post

He’ll give you the Ol “wag the tail situation” lmaoooooooo

Bro should’ve never posted
I’m not a bro. Also, telling someone I should have never posted is hilarious. I won’t go into personal attacks to you.
If you really think that rivals and 247 and others, have scouts that really evaluate, then you have been masterfully deceived. It’s crazy how all of a sudden a kid that is unranked goes to a 4 star after an Alabama or UGA offers.
Serious question to you. Do you think a recruiting ranking goes up or down without games being played, is based on these sites doing an evaluation, or based off whether the top programs in the country want you? I’d love for you to sit down with an actual recruit and have the convo with them. Same with a recruiting company. I think your eyes would be opened.

I don't know whether scores for the recruits on recruiting sites are done by:
a) actual talent evaluators at the recruiting sites, or
b) if the recruiting sites use some sort of formula based on the offers that they get from various teams.

It seems that the task of assigning and updating the individual evaluations for thousands of recruits would take many thousands of man-hours, so (b), or a mix of (a) and (b), seems plausible.

If it is (b), then that means that the P5 teams with clout, and the evaluations done by their coaching staff, and thus the offers they give, would weigh very heavily on a recruit's score versus a limited number of talent evaluators at a given recruiting site. Once again, reasonable enough.

Regardless of the source of the score for each recruit, the scores that are given do represent a fairly good indicator of whether a team has the talent and depth of talent to compete for a championship. In this case, average team recruiting scores in the 91-95 or 92-95 range seem to be a pretty good indicator whether a team is a championship-caliber team.

Of course there are some 3* players can have hidden 5* talent, or that can be coached up to 5* performance.

But except for extreme anomalies (2016 Clemson, who had continuity of coaching and had several breaks go their way throughout the year), history has shown that a team of mostly 3* players, sprinkled with some 4* players just doesn't have the depth of talent to win championships.

Last edited:
Recruiting is an inexact science in itself ... but if you're interested in following it, 247 is not a bad reference. I would disagree that it's "all subjective and BS."

VN Store

Back