Homelessness, begging, and what to do about it

lawgator1

First, when I'm stopped at a red light and someone walks up with a handwritten sign asking for money I have such mixed emotions.

The human in me take south on them and tells me to give them a handful of change I'll probably never use, or a dollar if one is sitting out. They often seem in genuine pain.

But then I remind myself, it's pain in the moment and that odds are well over 90 pct that whatever I give them would go to alcohol or drugs or both. And then I convince myself that not giving them money is more moral to not contribute to the cycle.

I see in the news today that the feds are giving Orlando $12 million to address homelessness. If it goes to temporary shelter for those who have had a bad situation arise, I'm fine with it. If it's just more kicking this can down the road, it's hurting and not helping.

So anyway, my mixture of guilt and righteous indignation on this is finished. Wondering how other people rationalize giving or not giving when they encounter someone at the traffic light.

First, when I'm stopped at a red light and someone walks up with a handwritten sign asking for money I have such mixed emotions.

The human in me take south on them and tells me to give them a handful of change I'll probably never use, or a dollar if one is sitting out. They often seem in genuine pain.

But then I remind myself, it's pain in the moment and that odds are well over 90 pct that whatever I give them would go to alcohol or drugs or both. And then I convince myself that not giving them money is more moral to not contribute to the cycle.

I see in the news today that the feds are giving Orlando $12 million to address homelessness. If it goes to temporary shelter for those who have had a bad situation arise, I'm fine with it. If it's just more kicking this can down the road, it's hurting and not helping.

So anyway, my mixture of guilt and righteous indignation on this is finished. Wondering how other people rationalize giving or not giving when they encounter someone at the traffic light.

If you give a mouse a cookie . . .

I bet Donald Trump would give them some money...

A Republican and a Democrat were walking down the street one day when they encountered a homeless man. Moved to compassion the Republican reached into his pants pocket and gave the man a $20 bill. Impressed by this display of generosity, the Democrat decided he needed to help too. So he also reached into the Republican‘s pocket and gave the homeless man another $20 bill.

My conundrum is the homeless population isn't homogeneous. I believe there are 4 strata.
1. People in a bad set of circumstances (domestic situations, work disruptions, in between housing). Some of these people are able to go through their temporary circumstances and no one knows they're homless.
2. The mentally ill who are off meds, not well managed medically, or not severe enough for a facility but not well enough to go without compliance.
3. Those caught in addiction.
4. Those who are free spirits and willing choose a nomadic life.

I feel genuine empathy for those in category 1.
I feel unable to help appropriately those in 2 and 3.
I respect and somewhat admire those in category 4.

My conundrum is the homeless population isn't homogeneous. I believe there are 4 strata.
1. People in a bad set of circumstances (domestic situations, work disruptions, in between housing). Some of these people are able to go through their temporary circumstances and no one knows they're homless.
2. The mentally ill who are off meds, not well managed medically, or not severe enough for a facility but not well enough to go without compliance.
3. Those caught in addiction.
4. Those who are free spirits and willing choose a nomadic life.

I feel genuine empathy for those in category 1.
I feel unable to help appropriately those in 2 and 3.
I respect and somewhat admire those in category 4.

Good take. 👍

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol
It would be cheaper to simply house the homeless than the current method which is basically a bandaid that costs us billions a year. The problem is it's hard to find anyone who wants to live near any sort of facility that would solve the issue. Currently we use jail and the ER to deal with the homeless, a good portion of them have mental issues and instead of getting treatment they just bounce between being in jail and getting sick enough to visit the ER. At a time when we can't find anyone to work it would seem prudent to turn inward and try to use the resources we have available instead of relying on even more unskilled illegal immigrants to fill these roles.

A large part of the inner city homeless problem is people spending all the money given to them for „help“ to purchase drugs. The first step in dealing with the homeless problem is to get these people help and addiction treatment. If they continue on that path afterwards, they may need treatment at a facility. But we have to get them clean.

It's a reasonable question and discussion...

And I'm waiting on LG to go full LG on his remarks...

But I think to combat the homeless issue, we have to determine what the root causes are to begin with. Ounce of prevention saying applies here. It's easier to attack the root cause and come up with that solution rather than try to fix the end result. Yes, we are still faced with the final problem to fix but to keep it from continuing its where to start.

When we checked out of our room and went to breakfast this am, we had water and sodas purchased from a store. Couldn't take them with us in the carry ons. Hotel would throw them out.
So, we took them on our walk to the restaurant. In 3 blocks we gave it all away to the homeless on the street.

It would be cheaper to simply house the homeless than the current method which is basically a bandaid that costs us billions a year. The problem is it's hard to find anyone who wants to live near any sort of facility that would solve the issue. Currently we use jail and the ER to deal with the homeless, a good portion of them have mental issues and instead of getting treatment they just bounce between being in jail and getting sick enough to visit the ER. At a time when we can't find anyone to work it would seem prudent to turn inward and try to use the resources we have available instead of relying on even more unskilled illegal immigrants to fill these roles.
It's a radical idea but I believe we should give them their drug of choice in decreasing, incremental amounts to ween them from the physical addiction. Counseling and lifestyle classes could (hopefully) help with the mental and emotional problems.

Unfortunately, there is no good option for the mentally ill.

When we checked out of our room and went to breakfast this am, we had water and sodas purchased from a store. Couldn't take them with us in the carry ons. Hotel would throw them out.
So, we took them on our walk to the restaurant. In 3 blocks we gave it all away to the homeless on the street.
My wife and I were leaving the very exotic pizza establishment Barley's in Asheville one night and there's an area near there that homeless people congregate to panhandle. A dude talking on a cell phone walks up to me and asks if I have any money. I said no but you can have my pizza. He paused, rolled his eyes and took it. I think I laughed for two minutes straight. I thought this must be quite the setup if the homeless have suddenly gotten picky.

It's a reasonable question and discussion...

And I'm waiting on LG to go full LG on his remarks...

But I think to combat the homeless issue, we have to determine what the root causes are to begin with. Ounce of prevention saying applies here. It's easier to attack the root cause and come up with that solution rather than try to fix the end result. Yes, we are still faced with the final problem to fix but to keep it from continuing its where to start.

I'm not "going LG" on this. It's an issue I confront almost everyday this time of year down here.

My wife and I were leaving the very exotic pizza establishment Barley's in Asheville one night and there's an area near there that homeless people congregate to panhandle. A dude talking on a cell phone walks up to me and asks if I have any money. I said no but you can have my pizza. He paused, rolled his eyes and took it. I think I laughed for two minutes straight. I thought this must be quite the setup if the homeless have suddenly gotten picky.
I chased a guy in a bus station in little rock Arkansas about 30 years ago with my granola bars. He approached me for money bc he was hungry. I offered him my granola, he ran away and I (kinda) chased after him.

You can only help those who want it. Panhandlers are not seeking help. They’re seeking drug money.

You can only help those who want it. Panhandlers are not seeking help. They’re seeking drug money.
It's a safe generalization. But it isnt always true. And because it is sometimes, or rarely, legit...those in need are ignored because of the stereotype.

Mighty broad brush you have there.

Mighty accurate brush too. Going through hard times isn’t what leads to panhandling. Needing drug money is.

If you’re going through hard times there’s day labor services, possibly friends, family, churches, other community services. The problem with all of those is they require accountability.

Panhandling is chosen because there’s no accountable. You pull at someone heart strings so you can go get high behind the weigels

Orlando? Are they just giving up on LA and California in general? It's so bad out there. Sad.

Mighty broad brush you have there.
It is not 100%, but it is a large percentage seeking drug money. Like many people say, offer them food instead of money and you will find out the truth.
With the current job market with employers basically BEGGING for workers and the crazy starting wages for the simplest jobs, there is really no reason to be hungry

VN Store

Back